Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the standard offerings on a 2021 Rubicon JL 2Dr. There are 3 standard tires offerings:

1. BSW Off-road Tires

2. BSW M/T Tires

3. OWL Off road tires

All are LT285/70R17C size. Which are the quietest on-road tires?

I’m thinking about some customization to make a Rubicon quieter for on-road use. Tires, Floor insulation, headliners, etc. I think there are better tire choices also than what is offered as far as noise, that still have an aggressive tread pattern. Thinking General Grabber A/TX and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 XLT.

·
Registered
2021 JLUW 3.6 eTorque
53 Posts
Not a Rubi but my Willys has the Firestone Destination MT/2's with a very aggressive tread pattern and they are significantly quieter on paved roads and highways than my Goodyear Wrangler MTs. Very surprised by that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Aggressive tires make noise. The more aggressive the louder they are. If you want a quiet tire you’ll want something like a car tire. But that kinda defeats the purpose of a 4x4. If you never intend on going Offroad that’s alright I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aggressive tires make noise. The more aggressive the louder they are. If you want a quiet tire you’ll want something like a car tire. But that kinda defeats the purpose of a 4x4. If you never intend on going Offroad that’s alright I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, in general, but there are large differences in the noise of off-road tires. A tire like the General Grabber A/TX has a special layer to absorb road noise. Ultimately it's a compromise between sound and off-road capability.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Aren't the BSW Off-road tires the BFG KO2?

If yes, that would be my vote.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Both the BSW Off-road tires and the OWL Off road tires are BFG K02s. No difference other than white letters on the latter. I have K02s on both my Wrangler and 4Runner, and I think they're very quiet for all-terrain tires.

The size on both vehicles is 265/70-17C. Don't know how the noise level on mine would compare to the larger 285/70-17 size.

My 4Runner came new with Bridgestone highway tread tires. One of the first things I did with the 4Runner was to replace the OEM tires with the BFG K02 tires. There was only a slight (almost imperceptible) difference in noise between them and the OEM tires. Handling seemed to be about the same. For what it's worth, I run Bridgestone Blizzak tires on the 4Runner in the winter, and the K02s are way quieter than those (and the Blizzaks are quiet for winter tires).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both the BSW Off-road tires and the OWL Off road tires are BFG K02s. No difference other than white letters on the latter. I have K02s on both my Wrangler and 4Runner, and I think they're very quiet for all-terrain tires.

The size on both vehicles is 265/70-17C. Don't know how the noise level on mine would compare to the larger 285/70-17 size.

My 4Runner came new with Bridgestone highway tread tires. One of the first things I did with the 4Runner was to replace the OEM tires with the BFG K02 tires. There was only a slight (almost imperceptible) difference in noise between them and the OEM tires. Handling seemed to be about the same. For what it's worth, I run Bridgestone Blizzak tires on the 4Runner in the winter, and the K02s are way quieter than those (and the Blizzaks are quiet for winter tires).
I've also got BFG K02s on my 2016 JK.

What I'm thinking about is getting a new 2021 JL Rubicon, and switching out the BFG K02s with General Grabber A/TXs which are supposed to be specially designed for less noise. I'd like to hear about somebody who's tried those General Grabber Tires and had K0s and see what difference they made.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My buddy just visited and had brand new 285/70/17 KO2 on his 4 door Willys with 2 and 1/2 inch AEV lift. I have 35 inch Milestar Patagonia MTs on my 4 door JKUR and 3.5 inch AEV lift. FWIW the Milestars ride a smoothly and quietly even in the larger size (both rigs have stock wheels). We each drove both rigs right after the other and he was shocked.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you are interested in quiet off road tires I think you should be looking at a Sahara instead of a Rubicon.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not a Rubi but my Willys has the Firestone Destination MT/2's with a very aggressive tread pattern and they are significantly quieter on paved roads and highways than my Goodyear Wrangler MTs. Very surprised by that.

That is My observation too comparing my 2020 JL Willys with Destinations compared to my 2 former JK Willys' with BFG T/As. Destination tires are quiet.

However, starting at 25,000 miles, even with regular rotations, the Destinations became so noisy and transmitted tire tread vibration so horribly that I shed the Firestones for Michelin Defenders LTX M&S at 32,000 miles.

I don't rock crawl but I do drive a lot on state highway and muddy & dry oil field and ranch roads. The Mich Defenders perform quite well for those easy demands. And are car-quiet on the highway. That's my DD tires. When the urge to take a serious off road jaunt occurs it will be a planned vacation and I will just reinstall the mounted Destinations on the Jeep and tolerate the ride for a while.

In my opinion the only way to solve off-road MT tire noise is don't use them. They all develop noise, vibration and become uncomfortable for highway driving.

·
Registered
2021 JLUW 3.6 eTorque
53 Posts
That is My observation too comparing my 2020 JL Willys with Destinations compared to my 2 former JK Willys' with BFG T/As. Destination tires are quiet.

However, starting at 25,000 miles, even with regular rotations, the Destinations became so noisy and transmitted tire tread vibration so horribly that I shed the Firestones for Michelin Defenders LTX M&S at 32,000 miles.

I don't rock crawl but I do drive a lot on state highway and muddy & dry oil field and ranch roads. The Mich Defenders perform quite well for those easy demands. And are car-quiet on the highway. That's my DD tires. When the urge to take a serious off road jaunt occurs it will be a planned vacation and I will just reinstall the mounted Destinations on the Jeep and tolerate the ride for a while.

In my opinion the only way to solve off-road MT tire noise is don't use them. They all develop noise, vibration and become uncomfortable for highway driving.
Thanks. Good to know.

I'm curious though; what did you keep your Destinations aired at in terms of cold pressure? I did the chalk test a few days after taking delivery and found that 33 psi was the sweet spot.

Not to say that my Destinations won't get louder as they age (I'm sure they will), but I'm wondering if regular rotations as well as ensuring proper contact wear will help mitigate some of that noise.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The softest ride was 32 cold but a hard freeze always caused pressure to drop very low and tripped a low pressure lights that would not extinguish until I inflated them to 37 which extinguished the light. And then I could release pressure back to 32. I soon got tired of that game.

The sweet spot on mine was 35. I even tried 37 and even 39 but whatever pressure i used the cupping and wear was visibly taking place around 25k, even with rotation which i did with every oil change . And of course gas mileage would decrease at lower psi and get better at higher psi. It was very common to start the day with 35 psi and within 30 minutes of highway travel the pressure was 37 or 38 on cool days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are looking for a quite comfortable tire that offer great dry/wet performance, good in snow and occasional off roading you may want to look at these: TerrainContact A/T - 225/60R17 99H | Continental
They are relatively new to the A/T tire scene.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looking at the standard offerings on a 2021 Rubicon JL 2Dr. There are 3 standard tires offerings:

1. BSW Off-road Tires

2. BSW M/T Tires

3. OWL Off road tires

All are LT285/70R17C size. Which are the quietest on-road tires?
THE BFG KO2 AT are very quiet. I had the 285/70R17 KO2s on my last Jeep and was amazed at how quiet they were. I'm now on my second set of KO2 ATs.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
75,232 Posts
My new Falken Wildpeak ATW3's, ride great and are very quiet.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My Rubicon came with Falken MT. They were OK. I went to a Duratrac which I've found to be softer and quieter.

None of the stock tires are soooo agressive they will be that loud. They are still on/off road tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts