Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion. I'm putting some 285/70/17s' on a stock suspension JK sport. The wheels i'm looking at (17x8.5) come in different offsets. +10mm (5.14" bs) or -10mm (4.36" bs).

Which offset would be best? Thoughts?

I don't offroad too much, it's a DD, and I wouldn't mind the tires sticking out a tad.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My Pro Comps are 17 x 9 with 4.5" of backspacing which works well. They stick out a little beyond the fenders, but it does have a nice wide stance.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion. I'm putting some 285/70/17s' on a stock suspension JK sport. The wheels i'm looking at (17x8.5) come in different offsets. +10mm (5.14" bs) or -10mm (4.36" bs).

Which offset would be best? Thoughts?

I don't offroad too much, it's a DD, and I wouldn't mind the tires sticking out a tad.
For that tire, a 9" wheel with 4.5" backspacing is probably one of the most common setups. The stock rim is approx. 6" backspacing, and you would need a 1 1/2" hubcentric spacer to run that tire on the stock wheel, but it can be done very successfully. If you go with an 8 1/2" wide wheel, I would suggest the 4.36" BS if you don't want to run a spacer.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I have the stock 75th AE on my 2016 JKU and i just installed a 1.5" wheel spacing with a 2" BB lift/ level. No problem whatsoever for three least 3 years, handled like original, and I do light to medium offroading; nothing to drastic that a stock jeep can't handle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not looking to add spacers or a lift just yet. Just wondering which oddset/backspacing would be best for a stock suspension and 285/70/17’s. The guys at Discount Tire are suggesting the 5.14 bs or +10mm. Seems the consensus on the forum is 4.5 or less. I know this has been discussed at nausiem, but that’s my two options for the wheels I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
4.5 to 5.2 should work just fine. Lots of wheels are 4.5 and wheels such as the AEV ones are 5.2 backspacing. That's assuming an 8-9 inch wide wheel.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I’m not looking to add spacers or a lift just yet. Just wondering which oddset/backspacing would be best for a stock suspension and 285/70/17’s. The guys at Discount Tire are suggesting the 5.14 bs or +10mm. Seems the consensus on the forum is 4.5 or less. I know this has been discussed at nausiem, but that’s my two options for the wheels I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They aren't the ones who will have to drive it when it rubs. :)

If it's a street Jeep, you'll probably be ok with a 8 1/2" wheel with 5.14" BS. You might rub at full lock, and you will probably have to trim the front plastic air dam (just take the damn thing off). If you go offroad, or hit some really big speed bumps when turning at the mall, you might rub the sway bar a bit. :mooning:

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
4.5" worked well on my Sahara with 285/75/18. At full lock, the air dam rubbed. But 5 min with a dremel fixed that.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
He's talking 285/70-17, much smaller tire. You're talking about a 35" tire.
Mine were 285/70/18

Mine was 33”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
660 Posts
On my 285/70-17s, I went with 5.2 backspacing. Pushes the tire out to the edge of the fender without sticking out. I also added 1.75 front and .75 rear coil spacers, but I did not see where it would have been much of a problem without them for a daily driver or mild trails.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Oh, well you posted 285/75-18, that's a 35" tire. :)

Misquoted. Small 35 vs a large 33. About 1” difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts