Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

this weekend i´ll install my winch.
i think i need a stronger battery for that.

which battery do you have in your TJ?

i was thinking about an optima yellow top, but don´t know which optima will fit.

any advice?

thanks in advance.
nicolas-eric :wavey:

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Optima Yellow Top. :cool:

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I run a Red Top because my rig is daily driven and it need the continuous power feed of the Red. I have ran a Yellow Top, but I feel for a DD that needs to power some lights and an occasional winch Red is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
If your going to run a winch very often go with the yellow, red for DD. I love my Red top ^_^

Except for when someone tried to steal it and broke one of the terminals in half. I now have hood locks.

~Lev

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think i´ll need the winch 10-15 times a year.

why is the red top better for a DD? i drive distances under 5 mls most the time and never had problems with the cheap stock battery.

which red top or yellow top would be the best for me? is a cheap one enough or do i need an expensive with more Ah?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Well, the optima batteries are better if you off road, I laughed when the guy in auto zone told me they are horrible for daily drivers.

The Yellow top which is better for deep, repetitive amperage drain.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.
Here is a great FAQ about them.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/europe/en/config/technology/faq.html#000100010001

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
An optima red top sounds like it would be a good choice for you. The yellow top is really mostly for continuous amperage draw situations like long winch uses. Another thing you may want to look into is a higher amperage alternator. If the alternator cant keep up with the operations it will just blow your fuse and then you'll be running off the battery. Of course a mean green is ideal but its pretty expensive. You may want to look around but its just some food for thought.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Crap....That reminds me. I've got the stock one laying around somewhere from my upgrade to the Red Top.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Optima specifically says not to use a Red Top if you have a winch, they'll even void the warranty if the dealer sees a winch connected to it.

Both the Yellow Top and Blue Top batteries are combination SLI (starting, lights, ignition) and deep cycle batteries and are ideal for a Jeep that has a winch. Optima recommends both of those for a winch-equipped vehicle.

The Blue Top offers a top wingnut aux post and the D34M is the correct model for a Wrangler.

Internally, the Yellow Top is exactly the same as the above Blue Top but its aux post is on the side instead. The correct model is D34/78.

Caution that a winch should not be connected to either aux post, it should be instead connected to the main battery posts. The aux posts aren't made to handle the current a winch can draw. :)

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
I thought the blue top was a marine battery?

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Learn something new everyday.

I'll stick with my yellow top.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts