Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. I'm new to this forum, though not to Jeeps.
I just picked up an '02 Wrangler with the factory soft top. Of course, the zippers were completely non functional. The sliders self destructed getting them off.
I live in Tucson, Arizona, so I REALLY don't need a hard top, and since I don't plan to have the top on at ALL unless weather dictates, I figured I'd go with a bowless soft top.
I've read several threads here describing the good and bad of several brands, and I must say that opinions are all over the place.
Besttop NX seems to get the highest reviews, but even they had a couple not so hot comments. However at $1500, they are a non starter.
The other three I see mentioned are Rampage, Rugged Ridge, and Softtopper. These three have mixed reviews to sat the least.
So what say you? You have the experience with these tops, and I'd like to hear it so that I can make an informed decision.

TIA,
C.J. Roberts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm about to order a rampage. I've definitely heard mixed reviews but their customer service I have heard is amazing. If you have a broken part let them know and they will send you a new piece without even asking you to send pictures or anything. Like I said, that is not first hand experience, just what I have read

·
Registered
779 Posts
From what I've read, Softopper negativity generally comes from those who rely on their custom surrounds. Hoping to find out for myself this year.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I've had bestop trektop NX for years & it's still tiptop. Looks like prices have gone up since I bought mine (550 when they 1st came out), but I'm seeing that top with uppers for under 1k. For less than that you might consider sailcloth replace-a-top for even less since you have the hardware.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
From what I've read, Softopper negativity generally comes from those who rely on their custom surrounds. Hoping to find out for myself this year.

This is true. Those that use the surrounds supplied by Softopper don't seem to be satisfied with the results. I had the factory surrounds, and was very happy with the Softopper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use the Trektop NX on my TJ and previously used the Softopper on my YJ (using the Softopper supplied door surrounds). Both are excellent tops, but I prefer the Softopper, even with the Softopper surrounds. The ideal for me would be to use the Trektop's surrounds with the Softopper. You really can't go wrong with either top, really depends on what features are most important to you as each top offers different pros and cons.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've done some more research and the softopper is starting to look like a better deal... What you need to ask yourself is whether or not you have all the hardware needed to install the top. Do you have a windshield header? If not you're looking at an extra $35. Do you have door surrounds? If not they are $20 with the softopper but $150+ bought individually. Do you have the rear window retaining bar? If not that's an extra $50 or so. So if you don't have any of this add an extra $200 to the rampage and that's best case scenario. Could be much more

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I had a trek top frameless with my last TJ. I just ordered a rampage for my new TJ.

I had wanted a viking on my old TJ prior to buying the trek top framless, but viking had a huge backlog on orders at the time (5 years ago)

So whenI learned rampage bought out viking and its essentially the same top, I clicked order immediatly. It should be here wednesday, but I wont be done with raptor lining till next weekend or later, so... it'll be in a box for a while.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Also, as 04TJsquad said... if you dont have the door surrounds and tailgate bar, and header... its an aditional 250ish.

I got lucky, and all I had to add on was the header, which was only 30 or 39$

·
Registered
338 Posts
Got my rampage sailcloth top for $370 and couldn't be happier with it, check your local Craigslist for the door surrounds get them much cheaper that way, will need their custom header but that's just $30 and plus the tailgate bar so there $60 there, the quality of the rampage top(sailcloth atleast) is great! It feels very durable and hardly any wind noise, definatley go sail cloth no matter what it is worth the money!

Edit: sorry went back and saw that you already have a stock soft top so you can knock needing the door surrounds and tailgate bar off the list since rampage uses both the stock door surround and stock tailgate bar, so would just need their $30 header.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My rampage has been on for about a week. And for most of that week, it sat while I was out of town for work. Went to the store today, went to unzip the right side to put some bags in the bag and....broken zipper already.

I always take beg reviews with a grain of salt. I understand sometimes u just get the bad one that came off the line. But I'm pretty disappointed that it broke after only once or twice unzipping it.

I love the look and I am willing to give their customer service a shot as most have said they are great. We will see what they do for me.

The worst part is I sold my standard too after I bought this one, so I have no back up if this thing breaks again and I decide I don't want it. Lol.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I've done some more research and the softopper is starting to look like a better deal... What you need to ask yourself is whether or not you have all the hardware needed to install the top. Do you have a windshield header? If not you're looking at an extra $35. Do you have door surrounds? If not they are $20 with the softopper but $150+ bought individually. Do you have the rear window retaining bar? If not that's an extra $50 or so. So if you don't have any of this add an extra $200 to the rampage and that's best case scenario. Could be much more
It comes with everything you need. If you have door surrounds, there's an option to leave the Softopper surrounds out of the package. The windshield header (a Bestop header, btw) is included, a tailgate bar is included and all the necessary hardware is included. They even send a bottle of seam sealer, just in case.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info. I stopped by the local 4WheelParts, and they had a Rampage in stock for about as much as I've seen anywhere else. They also offered a three year warranty, so I got one.
Here's the rub: They sold me a Smittybuilt windshield bar... which the Rampage doesn't seem to fit into. So next Saturday, I'm going back to get the right part. So here's hoping.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It comes with everything you need. If you have door surrounds, there's an option to leave the Softopper surrounds out of the package. The windshield header (a Bestop header, btw) is included, a tailgate bar is included and all the necessary hardware is included. They even send a bottle of seam sealer, just in case.
yes that's what I meant. Guess I wasn't clear enough

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
Sorry, I was trying to clarify. I didn't intend to come off as a jerk.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry, I was trying to clarify. I didn't intend to come off as a jerk.
oh I wasn't offended. I read my post and realized it needed to be cleared up. I'm gonna go with the softopper I think but I am curious what the OP is gonna think about the rampage.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the info. I stopped by the local 4WheelParts, and they had a Rampage in stock for about as much as I've seen anywhere else. They also offered a three year warranty, so I got one.
Here's the rub: They sold me a Smittybuilt windshield bar... which the Rampage doesn't seem to fit into. So next Saturday, I'm going back to get the right part. So here's hoping.
I think but I am curious what the OP is gonna think about the rampage.
That depends on what happens with the windshield bar.

Just for the heck of it, has anybody tried to attach the original equipment bar to an aftermarket top? It's just an idea I have.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I can't speak to the Rampage top, but for a Softopper, it wouldn't work. The Softopper has the same plastic lip on the front edge as the windows do on the bottom. There is a channel on the header that the lip slips into to hold the front in place. I suspect the Rampage top is similar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts