Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12 JK w/2" Rancho Sport Lift. Suggestions on pros and con of different brands appreciated. Iv'e read conflicting reviews on fitment and mounting clips not working.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
Wrong forum or not there's no reason or benefit to swapping in different brake lines with a stainless steel sheathe around them. That's a gimmick covering, it's not really needed, necessary, or actually doing anything... it's just for looks. No it will not improve braking performance, that the sheathing prevents the brake lines from swelling under hard braking is a myth/marketing gimmick/untrue. @pkdailey4

·
Registered
150 Posts
I respectfully disagree sir.

This is my belief, and is really only valued by me. Yes, the stainless steel covering does not prevent brake hose expansion. It does however, protect the inner Teflon tube, that has a greater resistance to expansion, than rubber brake hoses.

SS lines do not necessarily create more clamping pressure of the caliper on the rotor, but what they do is provide more efficiency and consistency. Using SS lines, the brake pedal doesn't need to travel as far to achieve maximum clamping force of the caliper, resulting in a more responsive pedal. The quicker response of the braking system may potentially reduce stopping distances, however I'm sure this can be debated endlessly.

I enjoy SS lines due to the perceived increase in pedal response and firmness, and overall added abrasion resistance.

....Please be gentle!

·
Registered
201 Posts
MrHolland you are correct

I enjoy SS lines due to the perceived increase in pedal response and firmness, and overall added abrasion resistance.
It is not perceived it is true. One can really tell on the track where heat is involved as the SS line do not expand under those conditions either.
Of course I don't think a Jeep Wrangler will be turning hot laps on a track but to say SS lines are a gimmick is not true.

Unless there is someone selling rubber hoses with SS brad over them, then that would be a gimmick.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
I respectfully disagree sir.

This is my belief, and is really only valued by me. Yes, the stainless steel covering does not prevent brake hose expansion. It does however, protect the inner Teflon tube, that has a greater resistance to expansion, than rubber brake hoses.
You make brake hoses sound like windshield washer hoses. Do a little research and you'll find that brake line hoses are multi-layer reinforced and DOT certified designed specifically to withstand far more pressure than the brake system can generate as well as having the ability to flex freely.

Brake hoses are literally the most heavily government regulated and tested component on a vehicle. There are DOT tests brake hoses must pass in order to be certified for automotive use. They also must be shown to be able to bend and twist at certain angles without collapsing, kinking or bursting.

What are you doing that is rubbing/chafing your brake lines? In 30 years of offroading and rock crawling I've yet to have a worn/chafed brake line so I really don't understand the need for SS covered brake lines in a Jeep how it is used by 99.999% of us

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree, there is a reason manufacturers put rubber brake hoses on cars, they are extensively tested, and safe.

I'm not doing anything specifically, whatever that could be, that would rub or chafe my brake hoses.

I, no doubt, fall within the above percentage of jeep usage, I just happen to prefer SS hoses.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You couldn't give me braided hoses

Rubber stretches some before breaking and rubber never stabbed me in the fingertips....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Since the reason isn't related to performance, what is the reason for preference?
It is performance related,

"I enjoy SS lines due to the perceived increase in pedal response and firmness, and overall added abrasion resistance."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts