Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 4.0L

hey everyone i have a question about figuring out which cat is rattling the mini(s) or the other one (regular). don't know a whole lot about this stuff so here goes. had my garage take a listen when i had my brakes done and they put it up on the lift and pointed it out. the mechanic explained it by applying pressure on the mini's with a pry-bar. so i just assumed it was them. it might be. thing is when i looked into ordering one i wasn't sure which he was talking about. but i kind of want to be sure before ordering replacements and finding out it was the other one. i guess my question is. is there any way for me to determine which it is before ordering? i thought the fact that it is all connected doesn't necessarily mean applying some pressure to either cat could give me an answer seeing as it would just stop all of it from shaking. i have read a couple of other post and found out you can hit them with a screwdriver handle and listen for the rattle, but the minis seem to be pretty solid so wondering if that would work on them. thanks

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I would tap on the cat towards the tail pipe, see if you can replicate that sound. Mine went out earlier this year and it was easy to tell. If its solid, I would guess its a pretty safe bet that its your minicats that need replaced. I have a 97 so only have one cat but that would be the route I take to see which one you need to replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would tap on the cat towards the tail pipe, see if you can replicate that sound. Mine went out earlier this year and it was easy to tell. If its solid, I would guess its a pretty safe bet that its your minicats that need replaced. I have a 97 so only have one cat but that would be the route I take to see which one you need to replace.
Sounds like a good idea I'll give it a try thanks for the feedback

1 - 3 of 3 Posts