Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Which engine option do you want to get for your JL?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which engine option do you want to get for your JL? (Assuming we get these rumoured choices.)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hemi

·
Registered
461 Posts
Me too but probably won't happen. The diesel would be nice but the towing probably would not be over 5k because of the relatively short wheel base and suspension. I would love to be able to tow my 6000 lbs travel trailer with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only way to get a Hemi in a Wrangler is to put it in yourself, unfortunately. On the other hand the range might really suck with a hemi if you don't also increase the size of the gas tank somehow.

I'm surprised by the number of people who want the diesel. Well over half of those answering the poll. Of course that just means more gas for me. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
naturally most people want the diesel (strongest engine choice) but are they willing to pay $4k or so for it?

i am guessing the base engine is 250hp 2.0T with auto trans.
Then you can go up to V6 w/manual and then pay for auto if you want it.

sure I would like the diesel...just not sure I want to pay for it.

but would be curious how it affected resale. if it gives a big enough bump in resale maybe i could justify it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
JL engine?

I voted for the 3.6 pentastar, I have a 2015 wrangler unlimited and really like the engine.

I am like others thinking that I do not wanna spend the extra dollars on the diesel.

The one thing that I'm not sure I would like is the start stop engine, it sounds as if it will have that.

Sure a sweet V/8 would be nice but its not gonna happen for me unless its a factory option at some point. Then its take my money please!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The only way to get a Hemi in a Wrangler is to put it in yourself, unfortunately. On the other hand the range might really suck with a hemi if you don't also increase the size of the gas tank somehow.
Range wouldn't change that much (compared to Pentastar, not diesel), the HEMI is pretty good at delivering power, and MDS while cruising would make it more efficient running on 4 cyclinder. And for a heavy brick like the Wrangler, when you need HP it could deliver it @ lower RPM where often to go the speed limit against a strong headwind I've often had the Pentstar engine want to jump from ~2K RPM to 4K killing fuel economy. Driving into the wind last month across NFLD and Saskatchewan into 100KM+ headwinds my fuel economy dropped for EVIC quoted (yeah I know it's not super acccurate but shows how much hard engine is working) from 12.1 L/100K to 16.8 , or 19.5MPG to 14.

For the premium price of the diesel option as seen on the Grand Cherokee, adding $2,150 for the Hemi $7,145 for the Diesel , for that $5,000 premium for the diesel over the Hemi, I could add a 10, 15, or 25 Gallon extended range fuel tank and far out-distance the diesel, and still have money left over when I get there. Then add all the diesel fuel, DEF and maintenance costs and poor extreme cold weather diesel performance and that's why I'd want the Hemi for the off-road torque, but also the windy highway HP.

Reactions: Nevo

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I have mixed feelings on this.

I have a '16 JKUHR and am plenty satisfied with the V6. On the other hand, there really isn't a reason why FCA couldn't produce a small (4.0-4.5L) torquey V8 that would fit in the engine bay. The diesel engine is a good idea, but as another poster stated, I'm not a fan of the DEF and if it doesn't come with a manual transmission option, I want no part of it. Plus, one can get gasoline anywhere, where diesel can be difficult to find at times. I am not a fan of a four cylinder engine in a vehicle weighing over 4,000 lbs, no matter what kind of power it makes.

As much as we talk about engines though, I believe the more important component of the JL is the transmission/rearend gearing. If it isn't geared right, they will be dogs on the highway and not great offroad either unless they are heavily modified.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Diesel would have been a great option before 2010, but with the emission requirements, the after treatment systems (DFP, CAT, DEF Pump/Tank, and EGR) are very sophisticated and not cheap to fix.

My prior car was a VW Jetta TDi and based on that experience I wouldn't want to get the diesel. This is going to be a modern engine = expensive to service

·
Registered
37 Posts
2.0 litre turbo provided the Jeep gas/electric hybridization is good. The BSG may not cut it in which case I will wait for the 'strong' rather than 'mild' hybrid. I had some dealings with the GD Shadow in a previous occupation - electric is king for controlled torque, but you need hybrid to go out into the ulu because charge points are rather sparse ;-)
Of course the Shadow has a motor in each wheel, but us mortals cannot afford that.

Although diesel may look like the answer to a trail maiden's prayers the 'hidden' problem of ever tightening emissions standards, and the associated, dodgy DPF technology, mean its days are numbered for 'civilian' vehicles; FCA, and every other manufacturer, knows this - calls are already starting in Europe for the manufacturer to bear the cost of DPF repairs for the life of the vehicle - and they seriously won't want to do this. Read up on Jeep's problems with DPF in Australia to get a flavour of the angst to come. My wife's Citreon has been in the 'shop' three times under warranty with DPF/Urea issues. A modern diesel may be responsive and fuel thrifty but it is just too fussy for (legal*) long term/wilderness operation.
*or you remove the diesel filter and risk prosecution. YMMV (sic)

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I would need way more info to make an intelligent decision. I am one of the few that is not interested at all in a diesel.
Perhaps that narrows the choice right there. The 4 cyl would have to be something special to get me away from a relatively tried and true motor.

I felt that way about my 2.4 and then my 4.0 as well though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts