Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not going to be ready to do this for probably 12-18 months but I want to get some opinions on which way to go. My 2.5L has seen better days and it's going to come a time where I'll need to make a decision to do a top down rebuild on my leaking, underpowered, needs a full breakdown 4 banger or putting in something else.

Of course, I've seen a lot of people do the 4.0L swap and I've seen some 350 swaps. I'm not sold on either of these necessarily.

What swap would you do if you could do any of them? What would be your reasoning?

I'm not looking for gobs of hp (200hp would be fine), but I would like to keep the weight down if possible and would like to retain a good amount of torque. Small Diesel? Vortec? 5L mustang? Something crazier?

I have an auto shop at my disposal who will do the work cheaply and quickly. Just need to know where to focus the search.

Denis

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Denis,

Before you get "accurate" advice, you have to tell us how you intend to use your jeep. Why do you need more horsepower? Why the 200 horsepower "mark"? Without knowing your intended usage, I am going to "speculate" and lay down some ground work to think about.

Your vehicle probably has a AX5 transmission... Jeep couldn't get rid of that puppy fast enough. It was terrible. It just barely worked with the four banger with all 123 horsepower. If you go up to 200hp, you probably are going to need to replace the transmission... than the input drive shaft on your transfer case. Your driveshafts will have to be modified in length. Now remember... all this has to be done for any engine swap. The central point is that your current transmission won't do the job... since that is the case, you either modify everything with that in mind OR you pick up a new, complete drivetrain from another 4x4 drive vehicle and put that into your jeep. In this way, your entire drivetrain is complete and matched from the factory. Generally putting in a new drivetrain is a lot simpler than "piecing one" together. I know that sounds contradictory but it is true.

If you want to go with a V8 swap, a mild V8 and an automatic transmission will go in simply. You will still have to match up a transfer case to it and modify your driveshafts, but this will eliminate clutches and such. A mild V8 will have 200 easy horse power...

Let me know how you plan on using your jeep. Do you want to jack it up?

Take care,

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd love to see how a 4cl Turbo diesel is with auto trans, or a 5.0. Having owned 5 mustangs in my life (5.0) I can say they are easy to get extra power from and super reliable even after a beating

·
Registered
879 Posts
quick and cheap would be to swap in another 2.5, anything else will also need a better trans

to do the 4.0, it would be best to have a complete donor vehicle

the chevy 4.3 V6 is a good choice

any V8 and you will also need to look into upgrading your axles and front suspension

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If I had the money to do everything right the first time and had all the proper parts including everything from the engine back I'd put in a Chevy 383 Stroker/Balanced & Blueprinted/Ported & Polished.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would do a 2.8 diesel but cant find much info on it. There was a kit in the making by some jeep perfomance group and I think it got axed. I dont want a 3.9 cummings, to big and heavy and I dont want to change axels and the mpg isnt as good as I would like. Of standard gas engines I would go with a chevy 4.3.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Denis,

Before you get "accurate" advice, you have to tell us how you intend to use your jeep. Why do you need more horsepower? Why the 200 horsepower "mark"? Without knowing your intended usage, I am going to "speculate" and lay down some ground work to think about.
Hey 1SAS - Thanks for the recommendations. Here's my ultimate goal with the Jeep:

Larger tires (probably 35s but may go as high as 37 or 38s)
Able to drive on the freeway occasionally (i.e. hit 70-75MPH)
Stickshift (haven't driven an automatic in over 15 years, not gonna start now)
Good offroad manners (specifically for mud, not a lot of rocks around here) though most of the offroad driving I'll be doing is light trails, small bogs, etc.

I picked 200HP because I had a wrangler before with a 5L mustang motor and it had 235 to the wheels with 38 inch boggers and a Detroit Locker and it was perfect for my needs. I kick my own butt constantly for selling it because I wanted a sports car. I think having similar to that 200HP combination would be about right, especially considering my desire for an engine that retains it's light weight so I won't have to overbuild the suspension.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of standard gas engines I would go with a chevy 4.3.
In theory, someone could get a 4.3 with 4WD and manual tranny out of a blazer/s-10/etc. and swap it in?

I've talked to a few performance shops that recommended the same thing.. either an LS1 or the Vortec 4.3.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
denisbaldwin,

If you have experience with Ford and know what you want... especially since you seem to want to match your prior performance level of your old jeep, why not find a Ford 4x4 truck with the drivetrain you want? It will be the simpler thing to do since the entire drivetrain will be matched and engineered already by the factory. It will also tend to be the cheapest way to do it.

With my conversion, I wasn't in a hurry. I spent four years buying parts and storing them in my garage. Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where people will complain if you work on your vehicles. (Yeah, it was new to me too! I had some freaking bureaucrat show up at my door to tell me I had 24 hours to get my jeep back together or they were going to impound it. Now just for the sake of argument... I went out my way to make sure the Jeep was covered in a tarp so as not to attract any unnecessary attention. Anyway, my teenage daughters, my engine hoist and yours truly put that body back on. I would have preferred to keep it off for a few more weeks, but... )

Anyway, during the swap, I removed the body, took care of the frame, and then fitted in the drivetrain. It is the easiest way to do it. If I had the ability to do it over again (and lived somewhere else) I would have bought a S10 or Blazer with a V6. It would have been four wheel drive and I would have swapped everything out and dropped it in. Engine mounts are easy to build and cheap to buy. The transmission crossmember is simple to modify. I could have used the axles, etc., etc.

The LS1 engine is a fine power package and it most certainly will meet your needs. I don't know what they run at a yard but I am sure you can get one. I just looked over the new ones GM is putting out and they are $5,000. That is almost my entire build WITHOUT paint. The V6 starts out from the factory with 180 horsepower and its parts are available everywhere. So your two choices are well thought out and will give you the performance you are looking for.

Take care,

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1SAS - Thanks for all of the sage advice.

I'm not in much of a hurry either. The Jeep is my "other-other-vehicle" when I'm not driving the S10 or the Miata. Thus, if it has to sit undriven for a few months while I do a conversion, no biggie.

The Ford 4x4 truck deal wouldn't be a bad way to go. Truth be told though, I'd probably lean more toward a Silverado or even a late model S10 with the 4.3L just based on the cost and availability of parts.

If I end up doing this, I'll have my buddy do it in his shop. He's agreed to give me a very fair price on the labor if I source the parts and give him a hand on the weekends (as he is a one man operation). Sounds fair, so I think I'll do just that.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Denisbaldwin,

Sounds like you have a great game plan!! I hope you take photos of your "build" and post them so we can all see them.

Take care,

·
Registered
26 Posts
4bt cummins turbo deisel

I swapped a 350 chevy with a turbo 350 tranny np205 transfer case dana 44 and a corporate 14 bolt full floater in my 95 yj it took me about a week to remove everything from both rigs and set up the yj the thing was a tank now i have a cherry 89 yj that i want to swap a 4bt cummins into. When i find the donor i will provide a step by step install. Should be fun!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Im buying my donor vehicle Sunday

92 Chevy Blazer K1500
TBI 350 700R4 complete vehicle, running and driving.

I plan on using my stock NP231, and use these adapters:

JB Conversions, Inc.

JB Conversions, Inc.

Jeep Motor Mount for CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8 with Chevy V-8, V-6 . Small or big block

This is my plan, but 1SAS is correct, what do you intend to use your Jeep for?
My plan is to use my 90 for everything, from commuting to wheeling, this is why I chose to keep the 700r4 behind the GM engine, the OD (4th) keeps it freeway friendly, and an 8.8 keeps it form breaking.
You want a manual, I did for a LONG time, but I commute, so....

·
Registered
250 Posts
given my upcoming living arrangements and my wheeling, which is lighter trails my 10 acres that backs up to a deer lease, then my bros 120 acres ( all flat around here ) my jeeps not being built for serious muddin or crawlin. Will be a DD. If i go gas, was thinking V6.....out of S10 or explorer ( have a ford 8.8 installed already ).

preferably though would be a diesel. The 4BT is a bit bigger than what i would want......i dont know alot about smaller diesels but i believe isuzu has a 2.5 litre ???? Bit better on fuel mileage and enough for what i use it for.

·
Registered
521 Posts
im swaping to a 4.0 for two reasons.plug and play, and for resale.everybody wants a 4.0 in a jeep and it will be easy to sell.around here the jeeps with other v6 or v8 dont sell.and you never get your money back.ive got my engine,ax15,tcase and driveshafts. slowly getting the rest of the stuff. im replaceing a few things on the engine that i need to replace while its out.therostat,waterpump,oil pump,timing chain,few gaskets here and there.120,000 miles on a 95.when i get everything done and ready im going to take a weekend and swap it over.ive got 800 in it in parts so far.looking for about a 1000. but then i could sale my engine,tranny,and t case to sale.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts