Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Do not fear the Blubicon
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What speaker do you use, and WHY?

I'm going with the Uniden Pro520XL but I need to select a speaker. Just wondering what people are running out there. I don't know the first thing about choosing an external speaker.

Thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had a Cobra unit. Maybe 4.5" x 4.5" x 3". Sounded good. Just get something decent quality and built for communications. They're passive speakers.

It's more about where you mount it than the brand or model.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,826 Posts
Make sure to get a 'communications' speaker like from Uniden, Cobra, MFJ, etc. as they're designed to be loud enough with the limited amount of power available from a CB radio's aux speaker jack. Personally I use an MFJ speaker because that's what my local ham radio store sells but a Uniden, Cobra, etc. would be just as good. Speakers made for car stereos would likely not be loud enough.

·
Do not fear the Blubicon
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I currently have a device that allows the CB to mute the stereo and send the CB audio to the front stereo speakers. I haven't used it on a trail run yet, so I can't give you an honest evaluation of how it works, but in testing it sounds good.

Previously I had a communications speaker mounted between the sun visors and it worked OK.

There are many powered and unpowered communications speakers available and that Uniden would be a good choice.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,826 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts