Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a bunch posted up on YouTube.... but what homemade design do you think is the best for under $100 ?

What say you ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did the basic 4 hooks in the ceiling with 4 cam buckle straps, worked perfect. Also made a dolly from the plans that everyone uses.

Cost me a total of around $50 for the hoist and the dolly, had it all done and the top off in a few hours. Now I need a soft top!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the basic 4 hooks in the ceiling with 4 cam buckle straps, worked perfect. Also made a dolly from the plans that everyone uses.

Cost me a total of around $50 for the hoist and the dolly, had it all done and the top off in a few hours. Now I need a soft top!
:cool:

Got pics ?

What dolly and what plans ?

·
Registered
747 Posts
me too please..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I made mine from 2x4s and bike hooks. I used an eyebolt in the lift and one in the rafters and used a harbor freight hand winch. The ratchet straps were just in case. At the T I used hurricane straps then ran 3" screws in the end. Added plywood on top and bottom for bracing in the T.

image-2846749676.jpg

image-4045224015.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have a welder go with the T design or if not .... make it out of wood like twister. I used a 4:1 rope pulley to manually pull mine up.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I just spent the $129 (The Harken Hoister #12020.1000) and got the hoist from Quadratec, I wasn't too comfy building something that will hoist a 90lb $1800+ top hanging 10 ft above my rig on a budget homemade setup. If you feel you wanna so $50-$70 on something this isn't the place to cut corners. IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:cool:

Got pics ?

What dolly and what plans ?
Will get pics later.

All I used for the hoist was:
4 - 3 1/2" screw eye hooks
4 - 1" x 10' cam buckle straps

Drilled 4 holes where I thought they should go with a 7/32 bit, screwed them in, snapped the straps on and pulled it right off. Was also easy to lower right onto the dolly with the cam buckles.

Dolly instructions

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just spent the $129 (The Harken Hoister #12020.1000) and got the hoist from Quadratec, I wasn't too comfy building something that will hoist a 90lb $1800+ top hanging 10 ft above my rig on a budget homemade setup. If you feel you wanna so $50-$70 on something this isn't the place to cut corners. IMO.
It wasn't about saving money for me, I just hate the installed look of the commercialy available hoists(Harken with 2x4's on the cieling and cables running everywhere), and I find the straps with hooks method to be easier and a cleaner install. Everything used is way over spec for lifting ~125 lbs, it's totally safe as long as it's installed correctly.

Just because you can't buy it from Quadratec doesn't make it corner cutting.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It wasn't about saving money for me, I just hate the installed look of the commercialy available hoists(Harken with 2x4's on the cieling and cables running everywhere), and I find the straps with hooks method to be easier and a cleaner install. Everything used is way over spec for lifting ~125 lbs, it's totally safe as long as it's installed correctly.

Just because you can't buy it from Quadratec doesn't make it corner cutting.

They work, and maybe your fool proof homemade/engineered setup works too, just stating why I chose harken. Cams and pullies are tested and rated. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I just spent the $129 (The Harken Hoister #12020.1000) and got the hoist from Quadratec, I wasn't too comfy building something that will hoist a 90lb $1800+ top hanging 10 ft above my rig on a budget homemade setup.
Harken for me, too.

The cost wasn't all that much more than a homemade setup that I could piece together and some of those I've seen on Youtube you have to run around to each corner back and forth, a few inches at a time. With the Harken I just stand in one spot and lift (or lower).

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yup^^

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine cost me less than $20 home engineered would be the correct term as myself and another engineer put together. I have nothing against the the purchased setup but I had the materials laying around. I chose to add the straps as extra support as it is 15' up in my dads shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts