Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this weekend I peeled my diff cover back on a rock a little while wheeling. Luckily it wasn't bad and I could just hammer it back to stop it from leaking. My question is I am thinking about either getting rock rings or a beefier diff cover. Which one of these are gonna give me better protection from doing this again?

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
My truck wears Riddler Diff Covers.

I've bashed them into everything frontwards and backwards, I don't even look under the truck anymore when I hit stuff.

Im pretty sure ill snap the axle before break that cover.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the axles themselves are pretty tough,it's just the covers that are a week point. Am I right by saying that?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
So the axles themselves are pretty tough,it's just the covers that are a week point. Am I right by saying that?
Yes, i did the same thing! Peeled it back just enough to get it to start sweating gear fluid. I just put poison spyder bombshell diff covers on my rig and the name says it all. They could survive multiple hydrogen bomb explosions lmao they are beefy as all hell. They do come close to the track bars not gonna lie. But its yet to be an issue for me.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've got the Rugged Ridge heavy duty skid diff plate on F/R of mine and they are holding up well to the abuse I've thrown at em.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered covers from solid axle,there are a few guys with jeeps around here that run them and spoke highly of them. Is there a certain kind if diff fluid I need to use or will synthetic be fine. I was thinking about going with the royal purple unless someone had a better suggestion.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just did the same thing and decided to upgrade my diff cover. Went with ARB partly because it has a dip tube for checking the fluid level (I think it's the only one). Id buy it again. I looked at the riddler too but didn't want to have to paint it myself.

Some good info in the link below.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rear-diff-is-this-normal-255150.html

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I wouldn't bother with royal purple. Just get atleast 75w90 gear oil. Get synthetic if you have limited slip

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The jeep is a rubicon so I guess I was just assuming that I needed synthetic for the lockers.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I just ordered covers from solid axle,there are a few guys with jeeps around here that run them and spoke highly of them. Is there a certain kind if diff fluid I need to use or will synthetic be fine. I was thinking about going with the royal purple unless someone had a better suggestion.
I just ordered a set of solid covers also - can't beat the price. A few guys I wheel with use them & beat the shit out of them, I have no worries about their toughness. I got 2 lubelocker gaskets & 7 bottles of Torco gear oil (may be a little over kill but my mechanic friend swears by Torco & since he's doing the work he gets to pick the oil, lol)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts