Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So using the guide that someone provided on here and flushing my radiator. I have hardly any mechanic ability but this may sound stupid lol. Which hose is the heater hose? It's a 98 wrangler 2.5. Can someone point me in right direction as I continue to flush brown stuff out lol

image-1801707375.jpg

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
There are two heater line connections on the passenger-side of the firewall, the two smaller diameter hoses that connect to them & then run towards the front of the engine are the two (in & out) heater hoses.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
See the top radiator hose? Follow it to the engine. In your picture one of your heater hoses (there are 2) is just to the right of the top radiator hose. Bout 1" or so in diameter.

Follow it back to the firewall and you'll see the other one, running from the engine to the firewall too.

Disconnect both hoses at the engine after you finish flushing out the engine.
Run water through both heater hoses, one at a time, to flush out the heater core.

Reinstall the hoses, let the water drain out, fill with coolant/antifreeze. Leave radiator cap off, start engine and let it idle for a bit, if possible with the front of the Jeep slightly higher then the rear. This will allow any trapped air to bleed up and out of the system.

While you wait, pop the hose from the radiator that runs to the overflow tank.
The tank slips out of it's bracket, once off flush it out too. Reinstall it and add coolant/antifreeze to the proper line, reconnect the hose to the radiator.

After 5 minutes or so your system should have the air bled out, top off the fluid, install the cap and check for leaks. Clean up the mess, dispose of any old fluid properly.
Antifreeze/coolant is poison to small animals and kids.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And tracking. Thanks. I'm on about the 5th 5 gallon bucket of running water thru it and still rusty colored

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm using a water bottle to test it as it comes out cause it appears clear but in bottle it's still dirty when I look

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Might be a wise thing then to get a flush kit. You pour the cleaner into the system and run the engine, you can even drive around with it in, longer you run it the more chance it has to clean out the system. Peak makes a good one.

Just follow the directions and you'll be good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I'm done now. Just letting it run to top off then go drive around. I got the Prestone flush kit but did the 10 min directions. Says you can leave in there for 3-5 days then drain it also. Might get another bottle and do that too still cause when I take cap off radiator looks rusty brown

1 - 7 of 7 Posts