Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have an 09 JK Sahara its all stock and I'm looking to lift it and throw 17" wheels with 35" tires on it.

I would like to know if anyone can suggest how many inches i should lift if I want to use it as a daily driver and only take it on the sand. I'm not going to be doing anything crazy just beaches but am not sure how many inches is safe to lift without having to change anything else on the jeep.

I have been looking at a 3.5" rubicon express lift kit or the 3" synergy stage 2 lift. Someone suggested I can go up to 4" without it affecting any other components on the jeep but I would like to hear from different maybe more savvy sources.

Please lead me in the right direction because I don't really know much about off roading or jeeps.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well you could do a 2.5 inch lift and clear 35s easy, it's a little cheaper that way.. Also what gearing do you have? That'll be a big role in daily drivability with 35s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm pretty new to Jeeps as well. If you're not doing anything more extreme than running on the beach, a 2.5 inch lift will clear 35's and be plenty enough for you as far as I know. Plus, with such a low lift you don't have to correct the pinion angle or anything like that, not to mention the lower cost. I assume since it's a Sahara, though I may be wrong, that it's got 3.21 gears. It'll likely be pretty sluggish with those gears and 35's, so you might end up wanting to re-gear down the line if it bothers you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Which if he does have 3.21s and the 3.8 it'll be terribly underpowered. With the 3.8 and 3.73s it's like the 3.6 with 3.21. Which is what I had when I went to 35s and a 6 speed and it was not the most enjoyable ride, that's why I regeared a month later after 35s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
2-3 inches of lift for 35s. Any higher and you will will eventually need an aftermarket driveshaft.

Like others have mentioned you will want to regear. This will run you another $1200-2000 depending on where you live. You will also need an AEV Procal or Superchips Flashcal to program the larger tire size which will run you about $180.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an 08 Sahara with 35s on a 3.25 inch lift and a 1.5 inch level kit. I'm running the stock 3.73 gears. Plan on regearing in the future, but for now I have a superchips flashpaq running the 93 octane tune and just turn overdrive off. Still a dog on the highway but tolerable. I wheel it pretty hard.

I don't know for sure but it seems like you would get some rubbing with 35s on a 2 inch lift. I had 33s with the 1.5 inch level kit and rubbed before I cut my fenders. This was with the swaybar disconnected though. If you never plan on wheeling it on anything other than flat sand you might get away with it.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts