Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best Mechanic's tool set I could buy right now to keep in Jeep.. (under $100). I have an LJ so right now I carry a pretty big set.. but I'd rather carry a smaller set.

If you see any on Amazon in particular that would be helpful since I have a gift card I received for my birthday to use.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I love the idea of buying a tool kit and stowing it somewhere on my jeep... Problem is they sell a "200 piece set" and half are Allen wrenches and tiny sockets you'll never use.... If I built a set I would carry: Allen wrenches, SAE and Metric Torx wrenches Large torx bits for 3/8 or 1/2 9mm to 19mm 3/8 drive sockets and wrenches 3/8 to 1" sockets and wrenches Appropriate ratchets Vise grips Hammer Wire cutters, bolt cutters, and needle nose pliers Bolt cutters (incase something gets wrapped around your rear) Breaker bar 4 way lug wrench Bottle jack Zip ties, duct tape, and extra hose clamps Hub nut socket for the D30 (I think it's a 36mm?) I also love to have a small battery operated impact driver with me. Most of this stuff is in the bag I carry and haven't met a problem I couldn't handle so far.

However... At Walmart they sell a kit for like $70 that comes with a bunch of sockets and stuff. I see a lot of guys carrying those. It's made by Stanley of course. But it doesn't come with decent screw drivers or wrenches, but you can get them there. All for under $100.

·
Registered
830 Posts
That's the same set I have already. I agree it's a great set, but not something I like carrying on the trail.
I find it a really ideal set to carry on the trail. It's pretty compact for the amount of tools it has. It has almost all the wrenches and sockets you'll need for trail repairs and it has extra spots for any additional tools you'd like to bring. If my backseat is out I just strap it down in the back with a piece of rope and it doesn't move around at all. When my backseat is in I strap it down with a seatbelt and its good to go.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
There is a nice Craftsman cased set that is currently being sold at Costco for $99, which would be a nice size.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
The tools I usually carry with me are generally the tools I use the most working on the Jeep. Talking strictly hand tools, I carry the ratchets and sockets I use most (both metric and SAE) in one canvas bag, the wrenches (both metric and SAE) in another canvas bag. Back seat is usually out, so I run a velcro strap under the footman loops and through the handles to tie down the bags. I also toss in a selection of pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers, punches and a hammer in the wrench bag.

I wouldn't recommend a pre-assembled tool set, because you'll end up with a lot of tools that you'll never use in a case that takes up a lot of space. With the two bags that I carry, tied down and zipped close, the tools stay in place and aren't a danger, even if I were to roll over.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The problem with pre-packaged tool kits is they are filled with too many small tools that aren't used for trail repairs. Those small tools that aren't normally ever used on the trail like 1/4" drive socket sets just add unnecessary weight and take up space.

I'd focus on carrying only what is actually needed which is primarily going to be larger metric and SAE sizes. That will save weight and $$$. I carry 3/8" and 1/2" drive SAE and metric size sockets and mainly larger suspension-hardware size hand wrenches. Plus a giant Crescent wrench, vise grips, BFH, and a oversized pair of waterpump pliers. Think about the tools used to install your suspension lift, those are the types and sizes of tools most commonly needed on the trail. Leave the small tools at home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts