Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully the community can give me some solid advice:

As my subject indicates, Im in need of a new tie rod. Ive developed pre-death wobble but only when an individual tire hits a low manhole or pothole does it go full wobble.

Tires are new and properly balanced. Jeep has 63k miles. Everything checks out tight. Had a fantastic mechanic look it over. He's the "go to" for front end repair in my area. Nothing is loose but he suggests I upgrade my tie rod, because he believes the stock one has been stressed and so a new one is in order. Tie rod is also new OE, btw.

Im on 3 inches of lift. The alignment is on point as is my toe and caster. So Im asking, should I go heavy duty tie rod or new OE? And does anyone have experience with the Synergy SYN-8002-15, or another brand they can recommend and have used?

I dont offroad my JK, so Im not looking for aluminum or top tier but would like one that doesnt break the bank at over the $500 mark for just the tie rod.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,709 Posts
There is no situation where I would pay to have an OEM tie rod installed on our JKU. It is too weak and too expensive.
There are a number of good aftermarket steel options. But an aluminum one would be what I would go with. It is the better option and comparable in cost to a quality steel tie rod.

·
Super Moderator
7,709 Posts
Barnes 4x4 has a 1 ton aluminum tie rod for $300. That is probably less than you would pay for a complete OEM tie rod. And it is a better tie rod.
It is also comparable cost wise to an aftermarket upgrade steel tie rod, but aluminum is the better tie rod option. I can’t see paying as much or more for a steel tie rod when you can get an aluminum one for that.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barnes 4x4 has a 1 ton aluminum tie rod for $300. That is probably less than you would pay for a complete OEM tie rod. And it is a better tie rod.
It is also comparable cost wise to an aftermarket upgrade steel tie rod, but aluminum is the better tie rod option. I can’t see paying as much or more for a steel tie rod when you can get an aluminum one for that.
Thank you for this suggestion! And I appreciate the feedback from @crazycarwes @GuzziMoto too. Guess that Aluminum will be the way to rock if it can be had at that price.

Amazing (similar to news) how only the big paying companies parts come up in searches. Products like Teraflex and Synergy, and even Core4x4 come up over anything else, when there's plenty other options to consider.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I have the Synergy 8002-15 Tierod and i'm more than happy with it. A lot sturdier than the old Synergy they had with OE diameter (this one is now 1.5") and the rod ends don't flop like they did before anymore. I don't know when they made the switch to the bigger version and redesigned rod ends but the old version worked great for me on my 1st Jeep and i put a lot of miles on that one with zero issues and it did hit a good amount of rocks as well. This was back in year 15-16
I posted a similar question 6 months ago when i bought my 2nd Jeep and i wanted to upgrade the factory TR and wanted to check what was new in the TR world. Also read about the alum options, saw youtube videos etc, they all seem great options. Then i started making contact with the vendors/choices i selected, things felt more at home with Synergy after all the conversations. Life should be simple and TR's should be so as well :)

20211120_111634 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Reactions: fourpointzero

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a 1 ton aluminum tie rod from Barnes4x4. They had a Holiday discount and the reviews are stellar so I couldn't resist. Synergy seemed like a good choice too but at $400, not including the adaptor for my stabilizer shock, it was almost $500.

I like that the aluminum wont corrode. Where as the Synergy is coated. If it were chipped, Id have to recoat it. Or hit it with FF, which I plan on applying to the aluminum one with anyway. But well.....$145 less is surely appealing. Will chime back when it's installed.

Thanks to those who posted here! ✌

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
That's a beauty :)
Enjoy man.

Reactions: fourpointzero
1 - 9 of 9 Posts