Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep didn't come with a manual, wanna change out the oil. I've always used either Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic on all my cars and bikes. What's everyone using for their Jeep?

·
Registered
830 Posts
My Jeep didn't come with a manual, wanna change out the oil. I've always used either Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic on all my cars and bikes. What's everyone using for their Jeep?
You can download the manual from Jeep.com.

Use the search function to find the dozens of oil threads.

'everyone' doesn't agree on 'the best' oil, sounds like you've never been on a vehicle forum. Personally I use partially hydrogenated muskrat oil in all my vehicles and they last millions of years and go 10,000 miles on a single drop of fuel.

·
Retired Moderator
100,622 Posts
I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 synthetic, but basically all engine oils are good as of today!

Just make sure that it is a Chrysler/Jeep approved oil!!!!!!!!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Use the oil that is either in your owners manual or on the oil cap on your engine.

5W20 or 5W30 depending on the year.

And yes, make sure it is Chrysler approved. One isn't right now (can't remember the brand), but that only has to do with testing time under a formula change.

Beyond that...use what you like best.

My dealer has free oil changes (I just pay for the filter). I think they use Penzoil.

When I change my own oil, I use Shell Rotella for our motorcycles, and whatever major brand is on sale for our cars (along with a Purolator oil filter).

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum as it is Chrysler approved and I keep all receipts. From other threads this may be hugely important for any extended warranty work.

You can argue that you should not need the receipts, but it sure is easier if you can plop down a stack of receipts and a log of all oil changes during any dispute. The receipt shows the date along with the type of oil and filter purchased. I simply add the miles on the receipt and enter it all in a log. Small thumbdrives are so cheap I just keep one in the folder with all the receipts with the log.

·
Retired Moderator
100,622 Posts
Use the oil that is either in your owners manual or on the oil cap on your engine.

5W20 or 5W30 depending on the year.

And yes, make sure it is Chrysler approved. One isn't right now (can't remember the brand), but that only has to do with testing time under a formula change.

Beyond that...use what you like best.

My dealer has free oil changes (I just pay for the filter). I think they use Penzoil.

When I change my own oil, I use Shell Rotella for our motorcycles, and whatever major brand is on sale for our cars (along with a Purolator oil filter).
Mobile 1...:D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter... just my preference, you don't really have to change weights with weather if you don't want to.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Oh and as far as brand is concerned I use Pennzoil High Mileage Active and K&N Filters.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I personally use royal purple oil and royal purple filter. A lot of people tell me it's a waste though because any oil will do just fine as long as you change it on time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts