Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just want some opinions on what programmer works the best on the 3.6. I have a 12 jku and I'm looking for a programmer to correct tire size and add extra tunes. I had a live-wire on my last pickup but I'm not sure what to go with for my jeep. Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think a lot of people like the Superchips Flashpaq or the TrailDash 2 for the extra on screen features. That's what I would get if it was available for my '15

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greats thanks for the help it looks like that one is the most complete. I'm going to order and see how it goes

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Don't expect GREAT performance gains and you won't be too disappointed...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Can't say for the 3.6, I have the trail dash for my 08 rubicon. And it's nice having the gauge display and the option to lock the diffs and stuff from the screen. As for performance gains, I didn't feel much difference. the biggest difference was throttle sensitivity that helped a lot. I've used it to adjust for my gears and tires, that helped but you can do all that with the flashpac. If you don't have a rubicon and don't care for the gauge display then the trail dash is a waste of money, just get the superchips flashpac or I've read a lot of good things about the AEV procal too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I installed the traildash 2 today and it seems to be pretty intuitive with good data and some data that I don't even know what to do with. I am running the 91 octane tune because that's all I run in my jeep. I did not notice much change in power at all but I did notice a good difference in city mpg. I have not adjusted my tire size yet but I will this weekend and I have an 8 hour trip through a couple of mountain passes next Tuesday so I will have a little better idea of what it is doing I hope.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,021 Posts
You traildash owners out there. I know you're supposed to put it all back to stock before going to the dealership for warranty work. My question is do you leave the device plugged in and where you have it mounted or do you hide everything so they don't know you have a superchips product

·
Registered
554 Posts
You traildash owners out there. I know you're supposed to put it all back to stock before going to the dealership for warranty work. My question is do you leave the device plugged in and where you have it mounted or do you hide everything so they don't know you have a superchips product
No revert everything to stock and unplug and remove it from the vehicle.
You don't need it plugged in to drive, once you tune it you can remove it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Surprised to see so much Superchips love here. Probably folks are either unaware or do not care about the boot loader issues that these devices apparently have.

Unless Superships have addressed the issue, your jeep could be left in a state where it will not run at all and you may need to buy a new PCM since dealers have no way to r-write the boot loader.

Search other forums for this. Superchips may not be the only offender and there may be other devices that do not write the boot loader back correctly.

To the best of my knowledge, this is part of how the device is locked to you vehicle.

The problem will not arise for you immediately. What happens is that if you revert it back to stock and then come in with another brand of tuner, your vehicle may not run after that because the boot loader was never written back correctly.

The problem is worse if you are not the original owner of the jeep where you don't know if the vehicle has ever been flashed let alone with which device.

The Edelbrock supercharger kit that I recently purchased and installed had this warning right in the instructions of the blower install and I believe even the ECT tuner had similar verbiage. Superchips should really address this issue or clean up the mess.

IMHO, no tuner is perfect for a JK. Either they have software bugs/regressions or they do not support all of the jeep-specific features.

If all you want to do is monitor the jeep then you can get very far with the phone app Torque and an ELM327 device (get a Bluetooth device for Android and WiFi for iOS or it won't work). That is like $5 for the app and another $25 for a decent device.

Personally, I run a custom tune and need something more robust. While the Trinity is not perfect (has a couple of bugs still, IMHO), it has the best/most functionality for me. I have swapped tunes many times at this point and have reverted to stock numerous times as well - you have to do that every time Diablosport releases a CROM file and you want to be on the bleeding edge. What is more, I have also practice unsafe computing and have swapped between the Trinity tuner and the ECT tuner and back a few times.

If you plan to run a custom tune, make sure that your tune-by-email guy supports your device of choice. For example, I have been working with Diablotoona, (AKA Johan). He is ex-diablosport and uses the Diablosport CMR software on his end. He also claims to have written the canned "crawler" tune that we get in the Trinity.

There will be some minor HP gains but you have to understand what you are getting.

To get the HP gain, you need to get some ignition timing advance and to do that, you need to run a higher octane tune. This is what the tuners have discrete 87, 91 and 94 octane tunes. The other they they do in the canned tunes is add some fuel (probably just on the top end) to compensate for CAIs and exhausts. The other thing that they do in tunes (at least for the pentastar) is tweak the fly by wire to be more responsive.

For me, the gain was indeed mild but still noticeable. It also just runs better all around. Once I installed Wideband O2 and got a custom tune from Johan, the minimal gain I had before did seem to almost double. Still, i would not describe the gains as major gains.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Surprised to see so much Superchips love here. Probably folks are either unaware or do not care about the boot loader issues that these devices apparently have. Unless Superships have addressed the issue, your jeep could be left in a state where it will not run at all and you may need to buy a new PCM since dealers have no way to r-write the boot loader. Search other forums for this. Superchips may not be the only offender and there may be other devices that do not write the boot loader back correctly. To the best of my knowledge, this is part of how the device is locked to you vehicle. The problem will not arise for you immediately. What happens is that if you revert it back to stock and then come in with another brand of tuner, your vehicle may not run after that because the boot loader was never written back correctly. The problem is worse if you are not the original owner of the jeep where you don't know if the vehicle has ever been flashed let alone with which device. The Edelbrock supercharger kit that I recently purchased and installed had this warning right in the instructions of the blower install and I believe even the ECT tuner had similar verbiage. Superchips should really address this issue or clean up the mess. IMHO, no tuner is perfect for a JK. Either they have software bugs/regressions or they do not support all of the jeep-specific features. If all you want to do is monitor the jeep then you can get very far with the phone app Torque and an ELM327 device (get a Bluetooth device for Android and WiFi for iOS or it won't work). That is like $5 for the app and another $25 for a decent device. Personally, I run a custom tune and need something more robust. While the Trinity is not perfect (has a couple of bugs still, IMHO), it has the best/most functionality for me. I have swapped tunes many times at this point and have reverted to stock numerous times as well - you have to do that every time Diablosport releases a CROM file and you want to be on the bleeding edge. What is more, I have also practice unsafe computing and have swapped between the Trinity tuner and the ECT tuner and back a few times. If you plan to run a custom tune, make sure that your tune-by-email guy supports your device of choice. For example, I have been working with Diablotoona, (AKA Johan). He is ex-diablosport and uses the Diablosport CMR software on his end. He also claims to have written the canned "crawler" tune that we get in the Trinity. There will be some minor HP gains but you have to understand what you are getting. To get the HP gain, you need to get some ignition timing advance and to do that, you need to run a higher octane tune. This is what the tuners have discrete 87, 91 and 94 octane tunes. The other they they do in the canned tunes is add some fuel (probably just on the top end) to compensate for CAIs and exhausts. The other thing that they do in tunes (at least for the pentastar) is tweak the fly by wire to be more responsive. For me, the gain was indeed mild but still noticeable. It also just runs better all around. Once I installed Wideband O2 and got a custom tune from Johan, the minimal gain I had before did seem to almost double. Still, i would not describe the gains as major gains.
So what you're saying is if I use my superchips trail dash, revert my jeep back to stock, then sell it and buy a Diablo tuner and try to tune my jeep it will lock up and I won't be able to drive it?

·
Registered
456 Posts
So what you're saying is if I use my superchips trail dash, revert my jeep back to stock, then sell it and buy a Diablo tuner and try to tune my jeep it will lock up and I won't be able to drive it?
Yes, that seems to be the situation. It may not be limited to the SuperChips either. I read that BullyDog may also not be writing the boot loader back correctly. I have not experienced it first hand but do recommend folks get to the bottom of it if SuperChips is on your list. Where there is smoke there is fire. If you only use a Superchips and own the jeep for its entire lifetime then no issue.

Even swapping between the ECT and Trinity as I have done was more of a leap of faith at first. Perhaps on the order of trying leap over a nasty thorn bush while not wearing any protective layers.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yes, that seems to be the situation. It may not be limited to the SuperChips either. I read that BullyDog may also not be writing the boot loader back correctly. I have not experienced it first hand but do recommend folks get to the bottom of it if SuperChips is on your list. Where there is smoke there is fire. If you only use a Superchips and own the jeep for its entire lifetime then no issue. Even swapping between the ECT and Trinity as I have done was more of a leap of faith at first. Perhaps on the order of trying leap over a nasty thorn bush while not wearing any protective layers.
So let's say I want to get a RIPP SC maybe in a year or so, right now I have to superchips trail dash, and from my understanding RIPP uses Diablo tuner. Would I have to take the risk and switch to the Diablo or could I use my superchips to tune my jeep for the RIPP? Or this something I'll have to ask RIPP about.

·
Registered
456 Posts
So let's say I want to get a RIPP SC maybe in a year or so, right now I have to superchips trail dash, and from my understanding RIPP uses Diablo tuner. Would I have to take the risk and switch to the Diablo or could I use my superchips to tune my jeep for the RIPP? Or this something I'll have to ask RIPP about.
The risk comes with switching devices. The presumed bug would be in the device's software, not the tune per se. For example, if we were speaking of a Trinity here, the fix would come in DCXGAS**.CROM file versus a PCMyourcode.DRG file

It would be fair to mention that SuperChips could also be aware of the issue and all over it. There could even be a fix by now.

I am not so that the file formats are necessarily interchangeable between the devices. The diabosport uses a .DRG file format. I do not remember without looking but the ECT that I have may use that as well. What format does your device look for by default when prompted to load a tune?

Here's the rub, even if the formats are the same, what you have to do with the specified device is take a backup first. You send that backup to your tuner (be it, Edlebrock , RIPP, Magnusson or your tune-by-email guy) and base the resulting tune on that.

On the tuner side of this, they are likely using either DiaboSport CMR software or HP Tuners software to read, modify and write the tune files. The output format may be selectable there. I think it is just a 1:1 binary copy of the PCM so format may not even come into play. I do not know it to that degree, though.

Shops like RIPP, Magnusson and Diablotoona likely run the CMR software since they also sell the tuners but they could have HP Tuners or even both. I suspect shops that standardize on other brand devices probably use HP Tuners but honestly no clue. I do know that the licensing model and entry cost is different between the two. :)

edit:
FWIW, HP Tuners has the lower initial cost and is probably the better choice if you just need to tune 2-3 cars. Will at OverKill Motorsports sells the software with his support included if you buy from him. You can also just do tunes by email with him as well. He claims to have a lot of Pentasar expertise.

It may ultimately be up to your tuner and what they have standardized with respect to which device you should use.

Don't get me wrong, the SuperChips does appeal to me over the Trinity but I think I prefer the current bugs in my Diablosport over the possible bug in the Superchips. ;)

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've used superchips and now diablo since i'm supercharged. Both are pretty easy to use and like @PetrichorJeep mentioned I've heard HP tuners are easier tuning wise. I'm thinking about switching to HP myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts