Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchase a 2015 Wrangler JKU Rubicon (hardtop) and the first big mod that I want to implement is a roof rack.

I'd prefer not to drill into the frame at all and I'd like to have the ability to swing/pivot the rack back in order to take off my freedom tops/back hardtop. I've seen some GOBI racks that swing back for roof access, but I'd prefer a more economical alternative.

Yeah, eventually I'll mount a few lights up there and I'd REALLY like to install a rack that has a pretty decent load capacity so that I can explore the options of pitching a pup/gear tent up top down the road.

So, my question to the forum of extraordinary Jeep owners is this: Can I have my dream rack at a reasonable price?

If so, would you recommend contracting out the work or is it a simple enough task to install by myself?

Suggestions/links/advice are all welcomed.

:beerme:

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
What do you consider reasonable price and how much load do you plan for it? What type of load? Cargo box? Kayak/Canoe? Bikes? Skis? Cargo basket? Roof top tent?

The general consensus is Gobi is hard to beat.
Lod has a cool design, too.
Both of these are at the higher end in price.

The cheaper models may be suitable, but you'll likely get mixed reviews.

In almost all the cases you can install it yourself, or with the help of a buddy, if you're mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Racks for bikes and kayaks

I'm planning to buy a Jeep in the next year and want to be able to carry two bikes and two kayaks, and want to be able to use soft top!. Anybody have best idea for best racks to accomplish all this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you consider reasonable price and how much load do you plan for it? What type of load? Cargo box? Kayak/Canoe? Bikes? Skis? Cargo basket? Roof top tent?

The general consensus is Gobi is hard to beat.
Lod has a cool design, too.
Both of these are at the higher end in price.

The cheaper models may be suitable, but you'll likely get mixed reviews.

In almost all the cases you can install it yourself, or with the help of a buddy, if you're mechanically inclined.

I hadn't heard of Lod, so I'll check into those.

I'd like to use the rack to hold kayaks (~200 lbs with gear), but ideally I would have the option to put more weight on the rack. I appreciate the feedback, Tarditi!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts