Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 wrangler X, with only 2 sensors which one is sensor 1 bank 1? Is it the one on towards the front or the one in the back on the exhaust manifold?

Any help would be great? I just got the jeep and I didn't have time to get a manual yet.

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas.

Eddie

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
bank 1 is cylinder 1,2,3.... bank 2 is cylinder 4,5,6

I believe you should have 4 sensors 1 before each cat and one after each cat (both cats are on the downpipe)

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
TnDz TJ said:
bank 1 is cylinder 1,2,3.... bank 2 is cylinder 4,5,6

I believe you should have 4 sensors 1 before each cat and one after each cat (both cats are on the downpipe)
There are 2 types of TJ's. "Cali" versions have 4 sensors, the rest have just 2. The cats you are describing are pre-cats, the actual cat is under your skid plate before the muffler.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i always use the mechanics view. example is the left side of the engine is left looking at the front of the engine from the bumper ....so bank 1 sensor 1 is the left side of the engine looking at the engine from the bumper and the first sensor you can see from the exhaust manifold down.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
wickedyj95 said:
i always use the mechanics view. example is the left side of the engine is left looking at the front of the engine from the bumper ....so bank 1 sensor 1 is the left side of the engine looking at the engine from the bumper and the first sensor you can see from the exhaust manifold down.
Don't you mean right? Lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
no.. ask any mech what the left side of an engine is and he will tell you from the front looking at the car left is your pasenger side .

·
Registered
360 Posts
it sounds strange but not any mech that works in my dads shop works on them from the driver seat lol

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
wickedyj95 said:
no.. ask any mech what the left side of an engine is and he will tell you from the front looking at the car left is your pasenger side .
I get that, but from that view the sensor would be on the right. At least that's where they are on the 2 4.0's I've dealt with.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I get that, but from that view the sensor would be on the right. At least that's where they are on the 2 4.0's I've dealt with.
was he talking about a straight six ? hahahaha! wasnt really thinking about that the exhaust is on that side lol i was speaking genarally ...lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
well anyways on v style engines thats the way it should be ...lol

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
There are 2 types of TJ's. "Cali" versions have 4 sensors, the rest have just 2. The cats you are describing are pre-cats, the actual cat is under your skid plate before the muffler.

Gotchya.... just thinkin that a 2006 should fall under the cali compliant crap....

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
No. Always as sitting in the driver seat. Left is driver side, right is passenger side. Just ask this mechanic, or look in any service manual.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
No competent mechanic would agree with that.

Bank #1 is the bank that contains the #1 cylinder. Makes no difference which side of the engine it's on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
We must just be surrounded with pros in here . I bow out !

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Yep left side is the drivers side, and has always been so. I deal with that every day, folks come into the shop and I have to question them as to what side they need parts for. Their right is almost always the "other" right.

And yep 38 years, ASE GM Master Tech.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought it was the front sensor and that is the one I changed. Now it is still throughing a p0132 code. For $25 dollars I will be changing the other one.

I have an I6 not the california model. SO I only have 2 O2 Sensors.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yep left side is the drivers side, and has always been so. I deal with that every day, folks come into the shop and I have to question them as to what side they need parts for. Their right is almost always the "other" right.

And yep 38 years, ASE GM Master Tech.
I just got to where I use the "pass or driver" side wording. If i start saying left and right most my customers would have the exh coming out above the headlight.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I thought it was the front sensor and that is the one I changed. Now it is still throughing a p0132 code. For $25 dollars I will be changing the other one.
You will be wasting $25 and you won't solve your problem.

You might want to check the wiring associated with the #1 sensor.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts