Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a choice between the Rancho RS9000XL adjustables, or the Fox 2.0 Adventure series, what shock would you pick for your JK? This would be for light off-roading, and of course street driving, with just a leveling kit on it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had Ranch 5000x on my JK for about 8 month now and they are all rusty. Not the same shock as the 9000xl but the same body. I would definitely pay more for an aluminum body. I don't think the rust will affect the shocks for a few years but it just looks ugly. I'm considering pulling them and repainting. I've heard of people painting before they install them because of the sh**ty paint job on them. I'll probably upgrade to the Teraflex Falcon or the Fox shocks

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I've had Ranch 5000x on my JK for about 8 month now and they are all rusty. Not the same shock as the 9000xl but the same body. I would definitely pay more for an aluminum body. I don't think the rust will affect the shocks for a few years but it just looks ugly. I'm considering pulling them and repainting. I've heard of people painting before they install them because of the sh**ty paint job on them. I'll probably upgrade to the Teraflex Falcon or the Fox shocks

LOL, my 9000's had rust on them right out of the box! not only that, but the valving was off between the sets. i returned that junk and got a set of bilsteins.

if i had to do it over, i would get the falcon 3.3 adjustable's. (i want them anyways)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I heard that from others about the Rancho Shocks rusting! So it would be considered an upgrade to go with the Fox shocks over the Ranchos? The Fox shocks won't rust? This is a great fourm, because you guys have been there and done that and are honest.

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
We've said all along that you should do an ounce of prevention on the Rancho's... Shoot them with Fluid Film or hit them with a clear coat. You should be doing Fluid Film annually to the bottom of your Jeep anyways.

LOL, my 9000's had rust on them right out of the box! not only that, but the valving was off between the sets. i returned that junk and got a set of bilsteins.

if i had to do it over, i would get the falcon 3.3 adjustable's. (i want them anyways)
I know you have one of the very few negative opinions of Rancho's, but I can tell you having been on both, in my opinion the Rancho's are better performers than the Bilsteins in almost every way.

Yeah I heard that from others about the Rancho Shocks rusting! So it would be considered an upgrade to go with the Fox shocks over the Ranchos? The Fox shocks won't rust? This is a great fourm, because you guys have been there and done that and are honest.
The Fox adventure series are not aluminum, they are steel. They are however, a good shock. If I was going for the Fox, I would bite the bullet and go up to the Performance series and get the aluminum bodies.

I had coffee this week with a good friend here on WF that just replaced his AEV Bilsteins with Rancho 5000X and said it's been an improvement across the board. He did paint his black before install since he didn't like white to begin with.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We've said all along that you should do an ounce of prevention on the Rancho's... Shoot them with Fluid Film or hit them with a clear coat. You should be doing Fluid Film annually to the bottom of your Jeep anyways.

I know you have one of the very few negative opinions of Rancho's, but I can tell you having been on both, in my opinion the Rancho's are better performers than the Bilsteins in almost every way.

The Fox adventure series are not aluminum, they are steel. They are however, a good shock. If I was going for the Fox, I would bite the bullet and go up to the Performance series and get the aluminum bodies.

I had coffee this week with a good friend here on WF that just replaced his AEV Bilsteins with Rancho 5000X and said it's been an improvement across the board. He did paint his black before install since he didn't like white to begin with.
I'm not knocking the performance of the Ranchos, I really like how they ride. And yes, I realize I should have coated them before installing but I didn't realize that until after the install. Either way, I'm only out $150 (Shocktober fest) so there's not much to complain about the value. I'm just suggesting to the OP, if I had it to do over, I would have gone with an aluminum bodied shock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone, after the input I've received and the research I've done, I've decided to go with the Fox 2.0 Performance Series aluminum body! Thanks for all your advice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know you already said you'd go with the Fox shocks, but I would rethink that based on my experience. I got a set for the front of my YJ. When I got them home and opened the box, one of them was leaking. Not just moist, but an actual leak. When I took them back to Four Wheel Parts, and asked for a new one, the parts guy said they would have to send it back to Fox! Of course I argued, they were never installed, but the Fox warranty policy requires the seller to return them to Fox. He said I could by another one, wait for the result of the "warranty" claim, and then get the refund once it was approved...six to eight weeks later...

I would never buy a Fox shock again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I hesitate to say this, because everyone speaks highly of the Ranchos. I have had a set of the Fox 2.0 performance series and also the RX9000XL on my Jeep. The Fox shocks were better on and off road. The Ranchos were too un-digressive, and so were much harsher but also undamped - the worse of both worlds. They were not horrible, but I expected a lot more given the rave reviews. The Foxes felt a lot better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts