Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cost really isnt a factor for this purchase since I do a majority of my driving at night usually. I am looking at the Rigid pods to mount on my windshield but not sure which model to go for. Also, spot of flood? What do you prefer and why? I also want to get something that has a good factory wiring harness. I want the hook up to be nice and simple without the need of splitting wires ect...

These will be used on country back roads with very little people on them but a ton of animals.

·
Jeeper
722 Posts
Rigid is the way to go.

As for the pattern, if you have it mounted up high a spot beam would be best. The hyperspot may be a bit too focused for what you need as it wont really light up the sides of the road showing animals.

Id consider the D2 driving beam mounted on your bumper. That will give you some great overall coverage for distance and light up the sides of the road.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I'm currently looking for driving lights in a round led style, prices are confusing along with watt levels, Looking at PIAA, Vision X, KC. I can easily pay 400-500 bucks a pair for some, while others are cheap, for example rugged ridge offers a 3.5" round lamp with 6ea 18 watt leds while more expensive lights may only have a couple 7 or 10 watt leds. I like the round style and the only reason I'm looking led instead of KC slimlites is for extra clearance for the winch running upside down off the bull bar.

I don't want to overbuy but I only want to buy once

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
For use as auxiliary highbeams, driving lights, legal ones, need a distinct light pattern that doesn't over-saturate your foreground with light (kills distant vision) and also doesn't have upward scatter (kills all vision in bad weather). They also can't be mounted higher than your primary lights.

Very good: J.W. Speaker 0548381 - J.W. Speaker TS3000R 6" Round LED Driving Beam Light with Polycarbonate Lense - Quadratec
Even more psychotic: A New Level of Bright with the Model TS4000!

The A-pillar isn't a good place for on-road lights. Not effective, not legal. Save that space for less powerful lights for spotting branches off-road.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For use as auxiliary highbeams, driving lights, legal ones, need a distinct light pattern that doesn't over-saturate your foreground with light (kills distant vision) and also doesn't have upward scatter (kills all vision in bad weather). They also can't be mounted higher than your primary lights.

Very good: J.W. Speaker 0548381 - J.W. Speaker TS3000R 6" Round LED Driving Beam Light with Polycarbonate Lense - Quadratec
Even more psychotic: A New Level of Bright with the Model TS4000!

The A-pillar isn't a good place for on-road lights. Not effective, not legal. Save that space for less powerful lights for spotting branches off-road.
It may be where I am in GA but the cops all in this area do not care at all where lights are mounted. There are a few idiots who enjoy riding around with a 50" light bar on and they will stop them but thats about it.

Thanks for the links, I will check those out.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Have D2 driving up on the A pillars. Adjusted the light splash on the hood to be minimum which in turns throws the light a bit down the road. This didn't really light the road in front of the Jeep. When I have them down on the brush hoop they did a good job down there. I ended up putting an SR10 dual beam on the brush guard, D2's on the A pillars. This gave real good coverage in front of the Jeep. I then added truck lites which are close to the same temperature. When all 6 are on, the light is great.

As for hook up, if you want something that is easy get an sPOD. The hr you spend installing the sPOD will more than make up for all the wire running you into your jeep, plus the drilling, connection and fitment you will do for the individual switches. Value of the sPOD is not in the money, its in the ease of installation of the unit and adding your electricals to your Jeep.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not going the spod route because this is the only thing I will be wiring in besides a winch. I am going to check out the Rigid Duallys today and may get those.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I am not going the spod route because this is the only thing I will be wiring in besides a winch. I am going to check out the Rigid Duallys today and may get those.
I have the Inspired Engineering (6 LED) on my A-Pillars. High Quality and Unbelieveable output.

All due respect to many, Rigid is not the only game in town and arguably not the Unrivaled "Best" anymore. One of the best I will give them.

6CUBE Pair

1 - 13 of 13 Posts