Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read a lot about these and it seems everyone loves them. Buddy of mine swears by his. Question now is which one to get. He has the Injen and I know a lot of people here have the pedal commander. Which one? Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Can't give any objective comparison as the only one I've ever seen or tried (installed on my Jeep) is the Pedal Commander. Night and day between it and stock. Can't imagine not having it. Definitely one of my top 3 mods.

But as to your specific question, no clue if Injen is any better or worse, or even different than the Pedal Commander, but if you do choose one, you won't be disappointed with the PC.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
They are all pretty much the same. The one advantage to the PC is Allen @AOR supports it really well.
I have an iDrive, and they were really great with support, but the support was from Australia. But again, they were great. I bought the iDrive at Bantam from a vendor. If I had not done that I would have likely bought a PC from Allen.
Installation for all of them is pretty much the same. Each might have slight differences in the details, but the basic premise is the same and they all do pretty much the same thing.

·
Vendor
154 Posts

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I met the people from PC at the Pomona Off Road show. They said that the PC was designed in Turkey. I backed mine down to City and it really is does help the performance off the line and also on the freeway.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,883 Posts
Do any of these companies have dyno runs showing before and after power curve changes? My gut tells me there is a self perception after spending a few hundred dollars that there will be a seat of the pants improvement, but are there dyno sheets showing how and where it improves everything they claim? Not saying it doesn't, but i'd like to see the proof instead of conjecture.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yep, if they could actually prove a performance improvement I might be on it. I have yet to see it and I've searched for any info like that.

I have a manual and don't believe I'd be happy w it. I'm rolling through gears fairly quickly if I want. I don't want it jumpy when I'm letting the clutch out from stop. I have that down really smooth.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I have a manual and don't believe I'd be happy w it. I'm rolling through gears fairly quickly if I want. I don't want it jumpy when I'm letting the clutch out from stop. I have that down really smooth.
Don't know what your setup is, but with a MT JKU with 37s and another 1000 lbs of added on hardware I had to mash the pedal down a lot to get it to move. With the HikeIt it’s a huge improvement in pedal response. There’s no way I’d even consider driving it without it these days.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Do any of these companies have dyno runs showing before and after power curve changes? My gut tells me there is a self perception after spending a few hundred dollars that there will be a seat of the pants improvement, but are there dyno sheets showing how and where it improves everything they claim? Not saying it doesn't, but i'd like to see the proof instead of conjecture.
It doesn't work that way. It re-maps the throttle-position input. Zero change to actual power. Read this for a description of what each setting does:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/...ers-please-chime-in-2368451.html#post34443645

As for which product is better, I've had several PCs for several vehicles, and in every PC thread there are a lot of people who switched to PC and said they were happy, and few who went the other way. That's just one guy's anecdotal observations of course, but these threads go on for years and years on every forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Since these widgets do not increase power they will not make more power on a dyno. That is not the point of one of these widgets.
What they do is change the response to the gas pedal. They do make it feel different. Whether or not you would like the change, I don't know. But it is a clear change in the way the vehicle responds to the gas pedal.
Personally, I think it is better than it was stock. For me, stock there was a small delay when you pressed the gas pedal and that annoyed me. With the widget it behaves more like a old school gas pedal using a cable to connect the gas pedal to the throttle. The response is more directly connected.
But it still makes the same power, and performance is unchanged beyond that fraction of a second where the stock system is hesitating.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yep, if they could actually prove a performance improvement I might be on it. I have yet to see it and I've searched for any info like that.

You really need to define what "performance" means to you. These devices don't add any HP, BHP, Torque, etc., they simply change the response time and level of throttle response.

So to that end, my Jeep "performs" light years better with than without. When I hit the gas, my ass is immediately and more forcefully thrown into my seat because the FCA computer is no longer getting between my foot and my Jeep and causing a significant delay in time and amount of throttle being applied.

Honestly, I don't need to see any dyno sheets to know that what I experience has absolutely nothing to do with my brain wanting to be satisfied because I lightened my wallet a bit to buy this thing. The difference is real without any technical data sheet telling me so.

A more meaningful metric for this device would be 0-60 time and 0-60 distance.

If you're completely satisfied with the throttle response of your Jeep and you don't want it any more jumpy than it is, then it would definitely be a waste of your money, but mine was severely lacking and this has rectified that for me.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You really need to define what "performance" means to you. These devices don't add any HP, BHP, Torque, etc., they simply change the response time and level of throttle response.

So to that end, my Jeep "performs" light years better with than without. When I hit the gas, my ass is immediately and more forcefully thrown into my seat because the FCA computer is no longer getting between my foot and my Jeep and causing a significant delay in time and amount of throttle being applied.

Honestly, I don't need to see any dyno sheets to know that what I experience has absolutely nothing to do with my brain wanting to be satisfied because I lightened my wallet a bit to buy this thing. The difference is real without any technical data sheet telling me so.

A more meaningful metric for this device would be 0-60 time and 0-60 distance.

If you're completely satisfied with the throttle response of your Jeep and you don't want it any more jumpy than it is, then it would definitely be a waste of your money, but mine was severely lacking and this has rectified that for me.
I agree, I've asked this and searched the web for concrete answers.

If it actually improved my 0-60 time or roll on time, 40-60 or 60-80 my interest would go way up.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I wouldn't count on any of those things happening. What it does, at least on my MT, is make the throttle respond like a normal vehicle. Before I had to mash the pedal to get anything to happen, now the touch is much lighter which I consider an improvement in drivability. If you don't notice those things when driving different vehicles it probably won't matter much to you.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts

If you watch this video (at about the 45 second mark) it will show you exactly what they do.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,883 Posts
Since these widgets do not increase power they will not make more power on a dyno. That is not the point of one of these widgets.
What they do is change the response to the gas pedal. They do make it feel different. Whether or not you would like the change, I don't know. But it is a clear change in the way the vehicle responds to the gas pedal..
Whether computer generated or old school cable to linkage, a response in how the vehicle is behaving is directly correlated to how that power is applied to the wheels. Thus a dyno sheet may not show "more hp or torque" but should show relative changes in application of hp and torque.

When you regear, a dyno sheet will show a relative change in how that hp and torque are being applied to the wheels. I have hundreds of dyno runs showing the pull of my previous 498hp and 308fpt intercooled turbo motorcycle we ran at Maxton, Goliad and Bonneville. OEM sprockets were 17/40. We ran different fronts from 17-20 and rears from 38-44. Each graph changes its curve, but not the maximum output. Did the relative hp or torque change? No, but it shows how torque builds earlier/later and how the application of horsepower changes in a linear fashion.

This should show the same thing. linear and vertical changes in the application of power at the wheels, not a the crankshaft.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Whether computer generated or old school cable to linkage, a response in how the vehicle is behaving is directly correlated to how that power is applied to the wheels. Thus a dyno sheet may not show "more hp or torque" but should show relative changes in application of hp and torque.

When you regear, a dyno sheet will show a relative change in how that hp and torque are being applied to the wheels. I have hundreds of dyno runs showing the pull of my previous 498hp and 308fpt intercooled turbo motorcycle we ran at Maxton, Goliad and Bonneville. OEM sprockets were 17/40. We ran different fronts from 17-20 and rears from 38-44. Each graph changes its curve, but not the maximum output. Did the relative hp or torque change? No, but it shows how torque builds earlier/later and how the application of horsepower changes in a linear fashion.

This should show the same thing. linear and vertical changes in the application of power at the wheels, not a the crankshaft.
You are correct, re-gearing will tend to show more power at the wheels or changes to the curve itself.
But a widget that speeds up the throttle pedal signal is not the same as re-gearing, and since a dyno run is done simply at full throttle, the widget isn't going to show a change. If you started the run, then applied full throttle, the widget might show a slightly faster response time. But I doubt it. The difference in response time is in ms. It isn't likely to be something a dyno can show. That small a difference in time would probably be within the margin of error for the dyno.
Again, the throttle widget does not add ANY power. Zero. So in a dyno run or a 0 - 60 run you should not expect to see a difference. The throttle widgets do make a difference, but it is in feel and smoothing out the response of the throttle pedal. I don't think everyone needs or wants a throttle widget. But if you find the response of the throttle pedal less than ideal you may be well served to try one. They do make a difference. But not in power.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts