Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking to buy my 1st TJ.
What years should I stay away from ?
What years are best ?
What should I look for as trouble spots ?
How many miles is too many miles ?
Would like the 5 speed and 4 cyl.. any warnings about these 2 ?
I know allot of questions- just want to make a good choice. I heard 1999 is the worst year- is that true

Pastor Scott:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 1999 that I bought used. I have had about 6 months and have not had any problems yet. And it is a 4 cyl. 5 speed. The only thing is that it does not have much power. If you and going to lift it and put bigger tires, I would go with the 6cyl. I am now trying to figure out how to get more power out of mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I also have a 99 and it is going great. roughly 139,000 miles on it and the only thing that has been bad so far really is the exhaust pipe hit the skid plate when it was in idle and when it was shut off. we wedged a couple of 1 by pieces of wood under it and it solved the problem. A fan wire is loose and it will shut off occasionally, and occasional normal small things. Nothing unusual in other vehicles. Overall it is a very well operating vehicle! Its an inline 6 4.0 liter 5 speed manual transmission. I get somewhere between 14 and 16 mpg with 31x10.5 tires. I don't understand why those Canadians couldn't manufacture a more efficient motor... anyways, 90's is always the way to go in my opinion haha... unless you're talking about music... but that's a different story... please reply back with reasons the 99' is possibly a bad year just so I can look out and be ready for any of those problems. Thanks!

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Go with a six, ive got the 4 and you dont want it..trust me.

·
4 Little Squirrels
717 Posts
I personally have no issues with my 4 and 33s. You just gotta know how to drive it. Keep up with traffic (pass most people) and get ~ 19-20mpg.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Well I've got a 4 banger and an auto so maybe that's why I don't like mine...

·
Registered
379 Posts
if your going 1997-1999 with the 4.0L you get the AX-15 and I have heard many prefer that over any of the newer manual transmisisons. Also the 2.5L is wimpy and gets the same mileage.

·
4 Little Squirrels
717 Posts
Well I've got a 4 banger and an auto so maybe that's why I don't like mine...
True, mine's a 6 speed. Love it.

And no, I'm averaging an extra 4-5mpg more than most people here. So I'm not sure what people are talking about saying they get the same mileage.

·
Registered
892 Posts
4 bangger is fine unless you want bigger tires without regearing.
I found the 5spd version the 4th gear is a bit too tall. I found myself changing between 3rd and 4th all the time when going uphill doing 35-40.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a 98 TJ with the 2.5/5 speed. When I first test drove it (totally stock), I thought it was pretty spunky. Then I put five 33" tires on it, and changed the gears to 4.88 (from 4.10) and I can use all five gears. It still does ok (plus it gained a good bit of weight with corner guards, gas tank skid, side armor, heavier bumpers f/r, tools/high-lift, and a winch). It don't expect it to be a speedster, and off-road it is an animal.

Definitely test drive and see if the 2.5 is "enough" engine for you (it is for me). If it seems too sluggish, then go for a six-cylinder. It won't get any better once you start modifying and adding stuff to your Jeep.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1999 tj

Sorry to give you a scare. I was googling how to buy a jeep . came to a site that said.. best and worst TJs to buy.. They said- everyone knows the 1999 is the worst year ever made and the 95 is the best.. but what do they know..

Im sure yours is fine.. thats why I joined the site.. before I buy I research and then research some more..
all you guys have been great.. I praying that when the right jeep comes along- all your input will have helped.

Pastor Scott

I also have a 99 and it is going great. roughly 139,000 miles on it and the only thing that has been bad so far really is the exhaust pipe hit the skid plate when it was in idle and when it was shut off. we wedged a couple of 1 by pieces of wood under it and it solved the problem. A fan wire is loose and it will shut off occasionally, and occasional normal small things. Nothing unusual in other vehicles. Overall it is a very well operating vehicle! Its an inline 6 4.0 liter 5 speed manual transmission. I get somewhere between 14 and 16 mpg with 31x10.5 tires. I don't understand why those Canadians couldn't manufacture a more efficient motor... anyways, 90's is always the way to go in my opinion haha... unless you're talking about music... but that's a different story... please reply back with reasons the 99' is possibly a bad year just so I can look out and be ready for any of those problems. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
mines the best to be honest with you. 2000 manual I6

Why you ask? Because i got one and i love it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What year

What year is your jeep with the 4cyl and 5 speed ?

thanks
Pastor Scott

I personally have no issues with my 4 and 33s. You just gotta know how to drive it. Keep up with traffic (pass most people) and get ~ 19-20mpg.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
They said- everyone knows the 1999 is the worst year ever made and the 95 is the best.. but what do they know..
This is probably just somebody givin TJS a hard time since there are no 95 TJs...anything older than a 97 is a YJ. If it were me, I would look into a I6...and if you think that you will be getting larger tires in the future, you may consider trying to find a TJ with a D44 rear axle already in place.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't know anything about the 4 bangers, but the only big differences I can think of between the older and newer 4.0's is:

1. exhaust manifold design. Old TJs (Maybe pre 2002, but I'm not sure) have a tendency to crack exhaust manifolds because there are no flex joints in the exhaust system. I have a 98 and I replaced the cracked manifold myself one day. It wasn't too bad.

2. coil packs. Older Tjs (again, not sure the exact years) have a standard coil, distributor, and plug wires... Newer TJs have coil packs right on top of the plugs. I personally like the older distributor style since its cheap, but coils are fine too.

As for milage, the 4.0 will run for 300-400k with no problems as long as its maintained. Possible problem areas to check on a used TJ are:

1. the frame - look for rust spots, holes, etc. Look around the transfer case skid plate for rust in between the plate and frame. I've seen that area completely gone before.

2. the tub - look around the inner fenders, behind the wheels, and around the gas tank for rust spots in the tub.

3. test 4wd - make sure there is no binding in the u-joints, etc.

There is a lot more to look at in terms of the motor, trans etc. but I would always check the body/frame first to see how badly the jeep was abused.

good luck!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 99 4.0L I6 with 88K miles and I am loving it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
99 a bad year?
That's funny I've owned my 99 manual 4.0 since 01 and have only replaces the radiator, exhaust manifold and master/slave cylinder.

185k miles and still has original Clutch which was my first manual ever.
97-99 are best years unless you want a rubicon and I you do wan lift and tires down the road look for one with the Dana 44 rear axle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Like everyone else is saying, try to get the 4.0 straight six. Those engines will last a long time

·
Registered
103 Posts
99 a bad year?
That's funny I've owned my 99 manual 4.0 since 01 and have only replaces the radiator, exhaust manifold and master/slave cylinder.

185k miles and still has original Clutch which was my first manual ever.
97-99 are best years unless you want a rubicon and I you do wan lift and tires down the road look for one with the Dana 44 rear axle.
Why would you say 97-99, I've got a I6 2000 that I love.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts