Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which Warn winch?

• M8000

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • VR8000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VR10000

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Zeon 8

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Other-Please specify in thread

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so the Mile Marker winch I have has finally kicked the bucket. I got it for free so I am not too broken up. Anyway I will be replacing it with a Warn winch. Which Warn winch do I replace it with?

·
Registered
715 Posts
M8000 seems to be a popular choice here.

·
Jeeper
722 Posts
The new ZEON line is the way to go, will be replacing the XD line of winches. About 90% of the winch is all new redesigned parts. An awesome winch. I'd recommend the ZEON 8S

·
Knows a couple things...
49,415 Posts
Of all of those I'd pass on the imported VR8000 and be happy with any of the others

·
Registered
502 Posts
The new ZEON line is the way to go, will be replacing the XD line of winches. About 90% of the winch is all new redesigned parts. An awesome winch. I'd recommend the ZEON 8S
I have to say I'm scratching my head on this one. I just did a side by side comparison between the M8000 and the Zeon8, and I don't see where you are gaining. The Zeon8 shows to have a higher gear ratio, costs $300 more, weighs 20# more, has slightly less load capacity on layers 2 3 & 4. Where's the improvement? Is it because one has a sliding ring gear, and one has a rotating ring gear?

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Warn 8274, there is no other winch worth talking about.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Personally I'd look for a 8274 too. These popup on CL more often than not & can be hand for about the same (give or take) as any listed. That being said I'd take just about any warn winch.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,415 Posts
Warn's 8274 is of course a very good winch and it has a sterling reputation but it's very expensive to buy and definitely not the only worthy winch Warn makes. After my previous TJ was stolen with it's Warn HS-9500i which I loved for its speed and reliability, I went with Warn's 9.5xp for the replacement TJ. Both are great examples of Warn's well designed strong and reliable winches.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Every Warn is a good winch which doesn't help narrowing your choice down. The M8000 is kinda the old reliable in both reliability and cost.

Can't go wrong with any Warn though.
If you have the extra money, go with what Jerry recommended.

Again, previous comment before the last

·
Registered
502 Posts
Every Warn is a good winch which doesn't help narrowing your choice down. The M8000 is kinda the old reliable in both reliability and cost. Can't go wrong with any Warn though. If you have the extra money, go with what Jerry recommended. Again, previous comment before the last
x2

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of all of those I'd pass on the imported VR8000 and be happy with any of the others
I was not aware that the VR series is imported. I want to buy American if I can.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say I'm scratching my head on this one. I just did a side by side comparison between the M8000 and the Zeon8, and I don't see where you are gaining. The Zeon8 shows to have a higher gear ratio, costs $300 more, weighs 20# more, has slightly less load capacity on layers 2 3 & 4. Where's the improvement? Is it because one has a sliding ring gear, and one has a rotating ring gear?
I know that the Zeon series has a rating of IP67. This is a measure of how well the units are sealed from outside elements. I also know the Zeon is powder coated verses painted and I believe it is all SS hardware. Beyond that I am not sure.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So two questions on the M8000. What is the line speed under no load and under load? If I have a 4 door Wrangler, which I currently do not, could the 8000 pound winch still pull its weight?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Warn 8274, there is no other winch worth talking about.
Personally I'd look for a 8274 too. These popup on CL more often than not & can be hand for about the same (give or take) as any listed. That being said I'd take just about any warn winch.
Warn's 8274 is of course a very good winch and it has a sterling reputation but it's very expensive to buy and definitely not the only worthy winch Warn makes. After my previous TJ was stolen with it's Warn HS-9500i which I loved for its speed and reliability, I went with Warn's 9.5xp for the replacement TJ. Both are great examples of Warn's well designed strong and reliable winches.

The 8274 is worth every last cent.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
So two questions on the M8000. What is the line speed under no load and under load? If I have a 4 door Wrangler, which I currently do not, could the 8000 pound winch still pull its weight?
Well i can't tell you the exact speed because I'm lacking a stop watch and ruler but it is an 8000lb winch so a 4 door Jeep should be no problem to pull.

Check YouTube. They have some videos of the M8000 at work

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have the M8000 and agree with Jerry!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know that the Zeon series has a rating of IP67. This is a measure of how well the units are sealed from outside elements. I also know the Zeon is powder coated verses painted and I believe it is all SS hardware. Beyond that I am not sure.
hmm...thanks for the input...I didn't know those specs...I might lean towards the Zeon after knowing that...I wasn't at liberty to say which was better...I was just trying to compare and figure it out...you've definitely brought a couple strong points to the table though in favor of the new Zeon series...my previous TJ had the XD9000i which I loved...but I may now go with the Zeon for my LJ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts