Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check out the sale on Engo from one of the forum vendors. I ordered from Chris, who exceeded all my expectations with customer service, not to mention the price of the equipment.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/e...or-only-289-with-free-shipping-102100-12.html

I was not familiar with Engo, but when I read the Four Wheeler winch review, I thought why not give them a shot.

Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

I'm not one to bash many products, but I do believe that Warn and some others are overpriced, this is due to their blitz on advertising. Those ads are not free.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Which Warn do you have?
I don't personally own one but I have a decent amount of experience using one of their 6000# winches on the front of a cherokee. Using this winch I have pulled out a ram 3500 plow truck that went off the side of a driveway, down about 15 vertical feet, and about 50 feet forward. I've also used it to pull myself and others out of mud holes where nobody could tow them out. It has also never given me shit like I have read about other brand winches, and the thing looks like it is at least 10 years old. Yes, they may be expensive because you are partially paying for the name, but IMHO they are completely worth it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Warn M8000 should be the default answer for CJ/YJ/TJ and most 07-present Wranglers, unless there is a compelling reason that the owner can articulate to recommend going to some other winch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Warn M8000 on mine. They can be found for great prices if you are not in a hurry and pore over the internet a lot.

Streetside auto had them on sale recently for $499 with free shipping. Add Warns rebate and it came to less than $450 to your door.

Keep your eyes open and you can find some excellent deals.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the sale on Engo from one of the forum vendors. I ordered from Chris, who exceeded all my expectations with customer service, not to mention the price of the equipment.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/e...or-only-289-with-free-shipping-102100-12.html

I was not familiar with Engo, but when I read the Four Wheeler winch review, I thought why not give them a shot.

I'm not one to bash many products, but I do believe that Warn and some others are overpriced, this is due to their blitz on advertising. Those ads are not free.

Good luck with your search.
This is what was published in FOUR WHEELER MAGAZINE of July 2011.

VEHICLE RECOVERY WITHOUT TEARS
ENGO E9000
"Spawned from the former CFO of Mile Marker winches, Engo is a new up-and-coming winch manufacturer with an emphasis quality, value, and customer service. Engo has a full line of recovery winches available from 3,000 to 12,000 pounds, offering both hydraulic and electric-powered versions. The most noteworthy observation we made during our testing of the E9000 model was how easy the drum free-spooled when the clutch was disengaged. Where some winches required our staff to pull cable from the drum using significant upper body weight , the Engo required just one arm. During our speed and efficiency test, the E9000 took third place, leaving just over 22 feet rope unspooled. The motor reached a maximum operating temperature of 151 degrees during the pull. During the stall test, the E9000 pulled to 12,000 pounds and stopped sans drama. Once removed from the stall test, the unit continued to work flawlessly in either direction. It's important to note that this was one of only two winches that survived the stall test unscathed. Considering that it survived our thrashing and can be bought at the very affordable price of $329.99. we had to award the Engo E9000 at the best value of the group."

Originally Posted by nastyrider17
I don't personally own one but I have a decent amount of experience using one of their 6000# winches on the front of a cherokee. Using this winch I have pulled out a ram 3500 plow truck that went off the side of a driveway, down about 15 vertical feet, and about 50 feet forward. I've also used it to pull myself and others out of mud holes where nobody could tow them out. It has also never given me shit like I have read about other brand winches, and the thing looks like it is at least 10 years old. Yes, they may be expensive because you are partially paying for the name, but IMHO they are completely worth it.
I see, so when did this happen: 1990 or so. Well technology has advanced a lot since.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check this ad:

One reader commented about the results:

Boy, was this disappointing. I've been a reader for decades and this is the first time I've felt a need to point out blatant favoritism for advertisers. No question WARN makes a great winch, but how do you justify the two winches that still work at the end of the test not being one and two? A winch that costs less than 25% of the WARN outperforms it and lives and comes in third or fourth? All I had to do was count the WARN ads in the mag to see the answer. Really sad, you've lost your credibility with me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts