Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I currently own a 1999 TJ 4.0 manual and I am in the market for a JK. I am looking for a 2 door manual but I am torn between what to get. I really like the newer style interior of 2011 and up and the 3.6 seems to be a better option but price wise I may not be able to afford it. Now the 3.8 is a good motor too, but I want opinions on which would be the "better" option.
Option 1:
2007 Rubicon, manual, hard top and soft top, power windows and locks, 4.10 gears, 90k miles, $21,000
or
Option 2:
2012 Sport, manual, hard top, manual windows and locks, 3.21 gears, 29k miles, $26,000

Obviously negotiation would get the price lower but these are listing prices. I would like opinions from JK guys who have these or similar to decide which is the better option to go with.
I wheel 2-3 times a year (in college so that takes up most of my time)
This would also be my daily driver
Opinions welcome, help me decide which is a better option!
Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
The rubicon seems priced too high especially for the miles and the 3.8 engine. Figure out your price range and i bet you could find some other good jeeps. Also that 12 sport is pretty much what a new one would cost. It's what I paid for a brand new 14 with same options plus I got auto for $24,xxx

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If I may ask, what is wrong with the TJ? If your still in school, and the TJ is still in good shape.. don't take on 20k in more debt while in school. that being said, I would by the newest model i could afford that has a warranty. For 26k you should be able to find a brand new two door.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Night and day between the 3.8 and 3.6 (85 more hp).

Rubicon or not I would do the 5 year newer vehicle all day long. A vehicle with 90k miles on it is going to start needing care and that can become expensive. If you are going to be spending that kind of money then get the 12, it will be easier on the wallet in the long run...well for maintenance anyway...mods are another story.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was also looking at a 2015 sport, base model, manual, which would have been around $229 a month with $5k down (which is what I would put down)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Keep the TJ, graduate, then.... keep the TJ and buy a new JK....
TJ's are going to be very valuable before long.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I agree with getting a 5 year newer vehicle and the bigger engine. I have the 3.8 with the 6speed and it's not exactly peppy but it does the job

I wouldn't get rid of the TJ. Run it the next 4 years and buy an even newer jk or whatever the new model will be called when it comes out. No sense taking on that debt in college unless the TJ is very unreliable

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When it comes to school debt my parents are being generous and covering most of it, granted I will come out with some debt but around the equivalence of going to a 2 year community college, I would be selling the TJ for around $7,000 hopefully and putting $5,000 down on a JK, used or new, which would lower the monthly payments, and I would either be doing a 3-4 year lease (new one) and buying out at the end or financing a used one for a 6-7 year finance, as I plan on keeping the JK for a long time.

My TJ is a 1999 4.0 with just under 160k miles, manual lifted on 33's with the dana 35 rear and 3.73's, hasn't had too many issues, little stuff here and there but biggest repair was the frame rot on the drivers side ($1400). Only reason to get a JK is to get something a little newer with lower miles with more power, plus the little bit of extra room would be nice too. I wouldn't mind holding onto the TJ if I couldn't sell it for what I want, but if I end up keeping the TJ it would be getting a little makeover.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes searching the actual values of the two the rubicon is worth around 17k and the sport is worth right around 20k

·
Retired Moderator
100,557 Posts
Unless your TJ is in need of major mechanical repairs, and or you have a rusted out frame on it, then why not just keep it????? TJ's are great reliable Wranglers.
Just save your money and when you graduate, buy yourself a new one. This way you are not buying somebody else's potential problems and headaches.

But if you have made up your mind to purchase a used JK, then check these out!!!!!!
craigslist, car-gurus and the truck trader. When you find one that you like, take your time and really check it out carefully. If you don't have the Wrangler in depth knowledge, then take somebody with you that does have it. If you don't know anybody, then take it to a Dealer and have them perform a complete inspection on it. This will be money well spent...........:thumb:

Also, check with Kelly Blue Book to see what it is worth!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
$26,000 for the 2012 Sport is just way too much. Like others have stated, you can find them new for under $24,000

·
Registered
317 Posts
Keep the TJ finish all your studies and pay back your loans with the money you have as a down payment. Then get a good job and buy what you really should have a brand new JK. There are reasons people get rid of there vehicles usually not good ones! Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would highly recommend whatever route your go , make sure you get 3.73 gears it would save you a lot of headache in the future. Granted, most bone stock least expensive jeeps won't have it but it might be worth it to spend the extra money. Just my .2 Especially if you decide to put a lift and bigger tires :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts