Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for any and all help and guidance. I appreciate it. I have my suspicions but I thought I'd post a quick video of the sound at idle. This is the first I've heard it today. Sound is loudest at idle but quickly gets silent as RPMs increase. What do you all think it is and/or what should I replace?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, since nobody responded, my suspicions are the idler pulley, belt and possibly the main adjustable idler pulley. So I ordered all three and will replace them.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
If you take the belt off & spin each component you should be able to tell which is bad.

The other way would be to use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear (what I use) to check each component as it idles (belt on, of course).

·
Commercial Member
7,070 Posts
If you take the belt off & spin each component you should be able to tell which is bad.

The other way would be to use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear (what I use) to check each component as it idles (belt on, of course).
Yep this works very well!

·
Registered
305 Posts
If it still makes this noise after replacing those parts, it may be the harmonic balancer about to crater.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drove it yesterday and no noise. Replaced both idler pulleys (adjustable and non adjustable). Will update.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A while back, my Jeep would howl sporadically. We could not figure out what the noise was or where it was coming from. Finally, the idler pulley bracket broke so my husband replaced the idler pulley, tensioner pulley and belt. No more howling!! The above video sounds almost like my howling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts