Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been able to spend some time driving around in the YJ lately and I am noticing some whining in the AX15 but only in 5th gear. Its not loud ...just a little annoying. I drained out what looked like basically oil not dirty but slightly discolored. I replaced it with 10w30 synthetic and I am still noticing the whine. The transmission shifts just fine. Not sure what to think, where do I go from here?

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Turn up the radio
Probably not the answer you're looking for.
The alternative is to drop the transmission and disassemble it, looking for worn bearings or whatever else might cause a whine.

Not that I necessarily recommend it, but I put a can of STP into my noisy BA10 to prolong it until I can come up with a external slave setup. I already have a (supposed to be) good AX15 transmission.
The STP helped to cut down on the noise a small bit and helped just a little with first to second gear shifting.

Some posters recommend synthetic gear lube that states "yellow metal safe" on the container. Typically rated as GL4 or GL3.

YMMV

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,929 Posts
classic help for noise problems, I like it.:bop:
Don't take your doors off then, It'll open a whole batch of squeaks, rattles and whines. You'll need a bigger Stereo. LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
I'm usually pretty happy driving with my doors off. That's until I drive along side any Jersey Barriers. Then every rattle, squeak, squawk, klunk and howl is reflected right back into the cab. I just turn my hearing aids off and then all is well in Luckyville.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Engine oil is NOT a replacement for gear oil. At one time they were more or less universal but that was a long time ago.
Run the what ever oil the manual calls for, some additives are helpful, Lucas, STP or some more specialized oils from Schaffer etc but make sure they are yellow metal compatible or it will eat your syncros in not time.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Engine oil is NOT a replacement for gear oil. At one time they were more or less universal but that was a long time ago.
Run the what ever oil the manual calls for, some additives are helpful, Lucas, STP or some more specialized oils from Schaffer etc but make sure they are yellow metal compatible or it will eat your syncros in not time.
That's funny... Wonder why Aisin Warner and Chrysler both recommend a full synthetic 10W-30 oil for the AX5/15?
Wouldn't run any oil additives... Most times you're doing more damage than your protecting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts