Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this whining sound in my YJ when I was turning, so I replaced the pump. Now it’s still whining, fluid is bubbling and it whines not just when turning but also in idle and not turning.

Before the pump replacement I flushed all the fluids out. After the replacement, I bled the air out (or at least think I did but now I’m doubting it). But if it was just air in the system, would it still be making that whining power steering sound even when not steering? Is it possible I have a pulley misaligned or the belt didn’t get tight enough? Just need to know next steps. Have also already replaced the steering gear right before pump replacement. Please help!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Make double sure that all connections are TIGHT. Check for any kinked hoses or steel pipes. Jack up front so that both wheels are off the ground. WITHOUT engine running, turn steering wheel back and forth all the way from lock to lock 20 times and check fluid in reservoir for air and proper level. If it still has air, turn wheel lock to lock 20 more times and recheck. Repeat till no air in reservoir. Now, all of the air is out. If after cranking and running the engine the air returns, then you have a mechanical problem. Good Luck>>>>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts