Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the starter on my 2007 JK replaced. It had become somewhat erratic and unpredictable over the past 2-3 months. Now, when I turn the key the engine cranks / starts immediately. However, there is also a noticeable whine that starts when the engine turns over and fades out once the engine is running. In total, it lasts 3-4 seconds. I've never heard this and it only started when I had the starter replaced earlier today. Is something to worry about? Should I take my ride back to the mechanic and have him look at it again? Thx!

·
Registered
103 Posts
My son's did that about 4 months ago. Turns out the alternator was on it's way out and eventually seized. Just wait until you hear the sound of a supercharger under the hood when there isn't one...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm...a defective alternator isn't something I really want to deal with right now. I Googled the problem as well and the Auto Zone website says the whining sound could be caused by the new starter being improperly spaced / shimmed.

I've also noticed that there is a slight "grating" sound when the engine turns over. Whereas before, it was a nice smooth start. I think it may be time to go back and visit the mechanic again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts