Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i recently put in a 4.5" rubicon express long arm kit with the new skid plate and what not. ever since i did this i've had an EXTREMELY annoying whining noise that seems to be coming from my transmission/transfer case. Its only when i am in gear(seems to be in all gears) and mostly when i just bearly accelerate. The fluid looked good in the tranny but i drained it anyways and put fresh, the noise seemed to almost completely go away when i did this but then a day later it was back. I've never tore apart a new transmission like my NV3550 and really don't want to if i don't have to. let me know if you can sherlock holmes my sh$t and get it quiter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes an SYE. Is it possible that the angle of my transmission is too slanted? not allowing the proper lubriction to the gears and bearings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill also add that not only was this noise occuring before i had my gears swapped but its not possible for it to be my front or rear end everything was checked, double checked by the best ring and pinion mechanic in santa cruz county.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I got new gears and a lift and it did the same thing for about 500 miles. I asked the shop to have a look at it when I took it back in for a RE inspection after the wear in period for the gears and they said they couldn't find anything. About 29 miles after I picked it up it stopped. Not sure if this is the same situation for u but the sound was coming for the rear gears and going threw the driveshaft and sounded like it was in tranny. But it stopped after about 550 miles. I would take it to a mechanic if u can't figure it out. All we will do is randomly guess at what's wrong and that won't help anyone or your pocket book

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its definetly not the gears. My guess is an input shaft bearing in the tranny, ive already put 5000 break in miles on the new gears. so that means, let it ride till it breaks(which would leave me stranded) or get it rebuilt, OR buy a different one. It all costs a lot of money.. i was just wondering if anyone could give me a better idea what it is.
i already had my mechanic look at it and he said he didnt know

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
My NV3550 makes the same noise. If you can take a recording or video and upload it, I'd be able to verify that. To make it loudest, it requires just minimal throttle input, correct? If you let off or floor it, it's quieter, right? The faster you go, the more prominent it is as long as you've got the correct throttle input?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my rig is so loud i dont think i would be able to get a clear enough recording but your RIGHT ON THE MONEY with it, do you think its normal?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the responses, well at least i know im not the only one with a rowdy transmission. seriously listening to that whine drives me crazy though. Has anyone on here with the wine have a belly up pan, like the one provided with the Rubicon Express long arm kits. My noise started after installing that, i dont know if i just couldnt hear it before or it didnt something to the positioning of the transmission/driveline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts