Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have a unique problem with my new JK. I will eventually take this in for warranty, but i"d like to point them in the right direction.

My issue started about a month ago. I have a 2017 Wrangler Willys, with a manual trans and it has about 1,700 miles on it, I bought it new this past April with 13 miles on it. The issue starts after driving the Jeep for about 10 minutes, a teapot whistle sound comes from the left front tire area. This is not a body wind noise, its speed related. I did however rule out the mirrors, windshield and antenna.

Once this sound starts, it does not vary from the clutch being out or in, it doesn't matter which gear you are in or if you are in 2 wheel, or 4 or in neutral both with the transmission or transfer case. It doesn't matter if you have the AC on or if you rev the engine or if you hit the brakes or even the parking brake. You do have to be moving though, from about 10 mph on upward. It sounds pressure related to me, so I did check the vent lines for the axles and transfer case, they are fine and not blocked.

Unfortunately, it's annoying to the point that it's all I hear at cruising speed. It's loud enough you can hear it about two blocks away. As you slow to a stop, the sounds drops down until its quiet, usually about 5 mph.

Also, it is all stock and has not been off road yet. Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's a weird one. I'm just throwing darts at this point.

Wind related vs speed related is really hard to separate.

10 MPH wind might not be hard to simulate with a fan. Maybe get one and move it around the Jeep until you pin point the spot. If you can't find one then maybe it is drive line related.

It's so new I would just take it back and have them drive it. Especially if you can make the noise any time you drive it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Could be it has to do with the gap of the windshield to the frame.

While for earlier Jeep JKss, there was actually a TSB about this how if it's not lined up, it will cause a whistle - it is usually prevalent when people have their windshield replaced, but, has happened on new JKs as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a unique problem with my new JK. I will eventually take this in for warranty, but i"d like to point them in the right direction. My issue started about a month ago. I have a 2017 Wrangler Willys, with a manual trans and it has about 1,700 miles on it, I bought it new this past April with 13 miles on it. The issue starts after driving the Jeep for about 10 minutes, a teapot whistle sound comes from the left front tire area. This is not a body wind noise, its speed related. I did however rule out the mirrors, windshield and antenna. Once this sound starts, it does not vary from the clutch being out or in, it doesn't matter which gear you are in or if you are in 2 wheel, or 4 or in neutral both with the transmission or transfer case. It doesn't matter if you have the AC on or if you rev the engine or if you hit the brakes or even the parking brake. You do have to be moving though, from about 10 mph on upward. It sounds pressure related to me, so I did check the vent lines for the axles and transfer case, they are fine and not blocked. Unfortunately, it's annoying to the point that it's all I hear at cruising speed. It's loud enough you can hear it about two blocks away. As you slow to a stop, the sounds drops down until its quiet, usually about 5 mph. Also, it is all stock and has not been off road yet. Any suggestions are appreciated!
How did you rule out the windshield? I had the same whistle (2015JKU). I put the blue painter's tape around the entire windshield and went for a ride on the highway, noise gone. Went to dealer, they put a new windshield in under warranty, noise gone. BTW, I bought mine used in January of this year.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Could be it has to do with the gap of the windshield to the frame.

While for earlier Jeep JKss, there was actually a TSB about this how if it's not lined up, it will cause a whistle - it is usually prevalent when people have their windshield replaced, but, has happened on new JKs as well.

A lot of times, a new windshield needs to be put on after transport. It's actually amazing how much damage there is on cars coming in off the trucks. I've watched dealers receiving shipments, and a manager going around to the different vehicles, and circling with a wax pen what dents needed to be pulled, fenders repainted, etc. You can easily be buying a new car that's already been to the body shop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very true about buying a new car that has possibly been to the body shop. I work for a car dealer, just not Jeep and it does happen for various reasons.

I ruled out the windshield by taping the gap around the glass and then driving it. As for modifications, I have the Quadratec mirrors that bolt to the A pillar bracket and pivot with the door. I did remove those but that didn't affect it. Also a body whistle I would think would be all of the time, mine is only evident when the power train is at operating temperature. I suspect this is in the power train because today as I pulled into my driveway, at about 5 mph it almost sounded rotational, but if I speed up, it becomes a whistle, just how a tea kettle sounds as it boils. It's weird and loud.

I did speak to the service manager at the dealership where I bought it, about 90 miles from where I live. I'm going to take it in there this Thursday. He's going to ride with me so that he can hear what I am hearing. I'm making the drive for service because I've not heard good things about my local Jeep service department plus my calls there today were not returned.

I was hoping this might have been a problem for someone already so that I could direct the dealer to that and not have my Jeep tied up possibly for several days. But it sounds like I am blazing a new trail here. Once I find out what it is, I will share the results for you all. Thank you for your responses!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts