Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a whistling sound that happens between 20-45 MPH. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver's side windshield/door/freedom top, right in the corner. I cannot pinpoint it at all, and it is starting to drive me crazy. I've added a thin foam piece to the front lip of the freedom top, and that did not help. I've taken the freedom tops off, and the hard top, and reinstalled them, and nothing has helped. All of the seals seem to be ok, and all look like the passenger side. I'll try and take some video of it while I am driving, but until then, does anyone have any experience with this? Or any suggestions?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had the windshield replaced, but I bought it used in Oct, so no idea if the previous owner did or not. Did a new seal fix your issue?

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,053 Posts
I haven't had the windshield replaced, but I bought it used in Oct, so no idea if the previous owner did or not. Did a new seal fix your issue?
To be honest, I never fixed it. I traded it in before I had a chance. As I understand it, there's special spacers used to evenly space the windshield when it's replaced on a jk, but a lot of places don't use them. I had AAA replace mine in my driveway and the installer just eyeballed it. It was evident while driving that it wasn't installed correctly, but I never bothered to call them back out to reseat it. There's no seal per sey, it's just some butyl adhesive that they use around the perimeter of the glass.

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
very common problem on jk's when they get replacement windshields. the windshield needs to be set up just a bit higher than what some installers are setting them. go look at a new jeep on the lot and take note of how close the glass edge is to the frame and then compare it to yours. from the factory there is about a nickles width between the edge of the glass and the frame. I went round and round with my glass installer as it would whistle and he kept saying it was a faulty windshield he went thru 3 and all mopar oem glass before he finally listened to me. I went to the dealer and measured all the new wranglers and all were about a nickle's width. he finally listened and set the glass at a nickles width down from the frame and quite as can be. there is actually a service bulletin on this issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine whistled on the driver side since delivery from the factory whenever on the highway. Eventually convinced the dealer that the windshield was not completely sealed as water droplets always got in by the dash speaker and A column when driving at highway speeds in downpour or after power washing. They scheduled a re-install of the windshield and found a gap in the original sealant...robots must have run out of sealant when putting mine together.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I honestly don't know how many times mine has been replaced...has got to be at least 10 times (one break resulted in 5 replacements the whistling was so bad). She still whistles like The Andy Griffith Show. I hate this Jeep. I love this Jeep. The most expensive POS I have ever purchased and I don't regret it. It's a Jeep thing.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Don't forget to check your door hinges and spacing. My passenger door whistles from day one, I had them replace the seals under warranty, no help. The. We looked and the passenger side door was about a nickels thickness further outboard than the drivers side. We loosened the body side hinge bolts one at a time and used the door as a lever to shift the hinges inward about an eighth of an inch. Tighten everything up and took it for a drive, voila no more whistle. This may help or may not, but if it helps anyone down the road then yay.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I purchased a new to me 15 JKU earlier this year. It had a whistle that drove me nuts. I put that blue painter's tape around the edges of the windshield and drove around; whistle gone, so I knew it was the windshield. Went to dealer based on all I read here on the forum and they didn't hesitate to replace at their cost with OEM windshield. Whistle is gone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I took a look at the windshield this morning, and think that this may be my problem. It appears that there is a larger than average gap there compared to what you guys are talking about. Before I take the step of getting the windshield replaced, can I put some sort of silicone caulk in there to get me by? I don't think I can go back to the dealership I got it from 6 months later, and I'm not sure my insurance will pay to replace it due to "whistling".

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
This may or may not be relevant by I did a write up about fixing a leak in the upper windshield area. You may want to use butyl rubber to seal it up since it is made for windshields. I'm not sure how silicone behaves over time but I assume it stiffens. Butyl stays soft and will not crack.

The way I would go about identifying where exactly the leak is located, I would use a can of compressed air and slowly run it along the outside windshield perimeter while putting my ear closely on the opposite side listening for the whistle sound. Then seal that bad boy up!

You may want to check your rubber channels too just in case:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-to-fix-a-pillar-water-leak-my-step-by-step-guide-1641753.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This may or may not be relevant by I did a write up about fixing a leak in the upper windshield area. You may want to use butyl rubber to seal it up since it is made for windshields. I'm not sure how silicone behaves over time but I assume it stiffens. Butyl stays soft and will not crack.

The way I would go about identifying where exactly the leak is located, I would use a can of compressed air and slowly run it along the outside windshield perimeter while putting my ear closely on the opposite side listening for the whistle sound. Then seal that bad boy up!

You may want to check your rubber channels too just in case:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-to-fix-a-pillar-water-leak-my-step-by-step-guide-1641753.html

Fantastic write-up! While I don't have a water leak (that I am aware of) I will definitely buy some of the tape and stuff it in there. I may look at the tube that you mentioned just for the ease of it. I don't care if it fully cures or not, I just need the damn whistling to stop.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This stethoscope ($3.99 from HF) will also aid in zeroing in on the whistle which I had and fixed.

I thought my seals were right but once I was able to zero in on the noise, upon closer inspection, I noticed the windshield seal (right bottom corner) was folded over thus causing the whistling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
quick fix for the windshield whistle is to get some thin rubber tube (size that is used for windshield cleaner nozzles works) and press it into the gap along the top of the windshield and down each side a couple of inches. stops the whistle and you won't even see it there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quick fix for the windshield whistle is to get some thin rubber tube (size that is used for windshield cleaner nozzles works) and press it into the gap along the top of the windshield and down each side a couple of inches. stops the whistle and you won't even see it there.
I'm going to look into this as well. The easiest, cleanest solution is what I am going with at this point.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I went out in better light today and measured the gap, and now I am convinced this is the issue. Someone sure did a shitty job putting that windshield in. On the drivers side upper corner, the gap is a solid 1/4". on the p/s, the gap is only 3/8". I know, not a huge difference, but looking at it you can tell the gap is bigger on the d/s. I'm going to try the hose trick first, and then if that doesn't do it, I may look into a new windshield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts