Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, I was on my way to lunch today in my 92 YJ (stock 4cyl) when I noticed a strange sound in sync with my revs. It sounded like a supercharger. I called my wife to see if she installed one while I was sleeping....well...she didn't...:banghead:. So I happened to stop by a 4x4/auto mechanic shop where a very nice mechanic used a crudely designed stethoscope to listen to different parts of my motor. The noise could be heard in neutral or in gear. So he listened to my alternator first with my rpm at about 3500. Then the idler pulley. He walked away and grabbed some spray and spray the *** out of my idler pulley and the sound went away. Nice, I hate not being able to diagnose a noise. Just had to do this with my U-joints (Diagnose noise). Anyway. So if you here something that sounds like a turbo, and your wife doesn't work under the hood nor is it Christmas....just check your idler pulley. Now...How to replace this thing? Is it pretty simple? Any tips?Thanks!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did u ever replace the idler pulley? Was it easy? I have to replace mine as well. I beleive its the idler pulley. Its the pulley under the alternator. Am i correct? Thanx for any help

·
Registered
135 Posts
The pulleys are not aligned, and it sounds terrible when cranked. I also have a brownish streak down a third of the belt. Please help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did replace it. Very very easy. Didn't have to mess with the belt. Just pushed it out of the way. I want to say it is right above the alternator. Easy cheap fix. Pulley was 16 bucks at advanced auto

·
Registered
135 Posts
Update* replaced the idler pulley went smooth, just dont forget the washer/spacer that goes behind the pulley. I forgot it (didnt know it was to be reused) tightened down and tweaked the pulley just enough to make pulley not spin true. Goin to take it back today(hopefully with no prob.) and do it all over again. Yaay!

·
Registered
135 Posts
leach87 said:
I did replace it. Very very easy. Didn't have to mess with the belt. Just pushed it out of the way. I want to say it is right above the alternator. Easy cheap fix. Pulley was 16 bucks at advanced auto
Thanx Leach!

·
Registered
135 Posts
leach87 said:
Okay so, I was on my way to lunch today in my 92 YJ (stock 4cyl) when I noticed a strange sound in sync with my revs. It sounded like a supercharger. I called my wife to see if she installed one while I was sleeping....well...she didn't...:banghead:. So I happened to stop by a 4x4/auto mechanic shop where a very nice mechanic used a crudely designed stethoscope to listen to different parts of my motor. The noise could be heard in neutral or in gear. So he listened to my alternator first with my rpm at about 3500. Then the idler pulley. He walked away and grabbed some spray and spray the *** out of my idler pulley and the sound went away. Nice, I hate not being able to diagnose a noise. Just had to do this with my U-joints (Diagnose noise). Anyway. So if you here something that sounds like a turbo, and your wife doesn't work under the hood nor is it Christmas....just check your idler pulley. Now...How to replace this thing? Is it pretty simple? Any tips?Thanks!!!
Well i put the new, new idler pulley in the spacer/washer still did not give me enough room to prevent rubbin the bracket. So this is what i did please reply:Sorry for bringin up ur old issues, but i just replaced my idler pulley and had the same concerns. As i tightened the idler pulley bolt the pulley would tighten up against the bracket as well. So tight the pulley would not spin at all. So i found the spacer/washer from the back of the original pulley, i put it behind the new pulley tightened down and it still would rub the bracket! Not as bad but still prevented pulley to spin freely. Ok so this is what i was getting to: i used the washer that was in the FRONT of the original pulley, and put it BEHIND the new pulley, i then put the washer that came with the new pulley in the front if the pulley. It worked! Pulley spins free and it does not rub bracket. Negative part: the idler bolt does stick out about a half an inch farther than it used to, to someone not knowin what i did it does look like im about to lose the bolt. The pulley is on tight, belt aligns great with all other pulleys, and it spins freely.There is no metal on metal sounds. Has anyone ever done this? Is it goin to cause problems in the future? Please any feedback to help me sleep easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same problem, I was looking for a solution, I will look into this. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sikwitit328 said:
Well i put the new, new idler pulley in the spacer/washer still did not give me enough room to prevent rubbin the bracket. So this is what i did please reply:Sorry for bringin up ur old issues, but i just replaced my idler pulley and had the same concerns. As i tightened the idler pulley bolt the pulley would tighten up against the bracket as well. So tight the pulley would not spin at all. So i found the spacer/washer from the back of the original pulley, i put it behind the new pulley tightened down and it still would rub the bracket! Not as bad but still prevented pulley to spin freely. Ok so this is what i was getting to: i used the washer that was in the FRONT of the original pulley, and put it BEHIND the new pulley, i then put the washer that came with the new pulley in the front if the pulley. It worked! Pulley spins free and it does not rub bracket. Negative part: the idler bolt does stick out about a half an inch farther than it used to, to someone not knowin what i did it does look like im about to lose the bolt. The pulley is on tight, belt aligns great with all other pulleys, and it spins freely.There is no metal on metal sounds. Has anyone ever done this? Is it goin to cause problems in the future? Please any feedback to help me sleep easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
Mine is set up just like that. Pulley went and the aftermarket one doesn't match so had to use the washer method you described above. I've had it like that for about 6 months with no issues and its my DD. So I'd say your good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Heey Steve O!!, cool name. Thanx for ur reply, that makea me feel alot better! Thats awesome to know there is someone out there that has done this as well. I was tryin to sleep last nite runnin threw scenerios in my head on how that setup could go wrong…couldnt think of any. I will keep an eye on it for now. From one creative jimmy rigger to another, thanx again!

·
Registered
132 Posts
:thumb: happy to help ease the mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts