Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe Rick @Quadratec can help but I wanted to get some other members input as well.

I just installed a set of quick release mirrors on my Jeep. They look great. They mostly work pretty good. However, there is one big issue. They whistle really bad. It seems to be wind passing over the Jeep side edge. If I place my hand on that edge it will stop. I tried taking the rubber off to no avail. I put it back on as it looks worse without the rubber.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make these not whistle? Should I have gotten the round ones instead?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/13111_0410_14.htm

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,509 Posts
Hi there,

I have seen less whistling with the round mirrors over the squares. What I can recommend is trying to adjust the mirror angle. Adjusting the arms and mirrors in/out and testing in between should help resolve most, if not all, of the whistling. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

-Rick

·
Registered
42 Posts
My rectangular ones whistle, but it seems to only be the driver side one so maybe there is something to the adjustment. But I can see well with it. It also only happens at around 30-40mph. When I get above 50 it goes away (or maybe I just can't hear it over wind noise)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Everyone complains about the whistling(just look at the reviews). I guess Quadratec didn't bother with a test drive when they created these deer whistle mirrors.

Maybe glue some vortex generating fins to the edge of the mirrors? Would need a wind tunnel and smoke streams to come up with a good solution

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,509 Posts
Everyone complains about the whistling(just look at the reviews). I guess Quadratec didn't bother with a test drive when they created these deer whistle mirrors.

Maybe glue some vortex generating fins to the edge of the mirrors? Would need a wind tunnel and smoke streams to come up with a good solution
Most of us here run these (Or similar) mirrors without issue. As I stated above they can be adjusted to remove most, if not all, of the whistle. It just takes some trial and error to find the proper angle for the head and arms to be usable and not whistle.

-Rick

·
Premium Member
16,891 Posts

And some Jeeps rattle and some don't - What's your proposed solution for that, Simulated earthquake zones?

My last Jeep leaked, So I started a Large Waterfall install but ran out of acreage before I could complete all my testing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha. I like some of the banter in this thread. The passenger side isn't quite so bad. But the driver side is pretty much screaming at me. I'll play around with it some more.

Rick, how hard would it be to get these swapped out with some round ones?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,509 Posts
Haha. I like some of the banter in this thread. The passenger side isn't quite so bad. But the driver side is pretty much screaming at me. I'll play around with it some more.

As they are used we should be able to do a swap for you. Shoot me a PM with your order # and I'll see what we can do!

Thanks,

-Rick

·
Premium Member
16,891 Posts

Couple solutions that have been known to work;
- Black silicone bead where the rubber meets the metal.
- Black Gorilla tape.
- Change angles (move arm in and mirror out to flatten the plane.

Again, it's all random. You could have square mirrors that don't whistle and the guy next to you has round ones that whistle. You mention the one side does and the other not as much, switch them and see what happens.
Usually it's angle(s) there are several.

and then again there is always Rick's solution :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
And some Jeeps rattle and some don't - What's your proposed solution for that, Simulated earthquake zones?
Some? I thought all Jeeps rattled!:lmao:

But since you asked, there are actually tests that luxury automakers utilize to eliminate rattles. They look like conveyor belts with rumble strips. But we didn't buy luxury cars, did we?

·
Premium Member
16,891 Posts
Some? I thought all Jeeps rattled!:lmao:

But since you asked, there are actually tests that luxury automakers utilize to eliminate rattles. They look like conveyor belts with rumble strips. But we didn't buy luxury cars, did we?
I'm familiar with the rattle testing facilities as well as the actual wind tunnel facilities used to R&D new vehicle designs.... and how many Vendors wind tunnel test a $49 mirror?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm familiar with the rattle testing facilities as well as the actual wind tunnel facilities used to R&D new vehicle designs.... and how many Vendors wind tunnel test a $49 mirror?
The real question is, how many Vendors bothered to slap the mirror on and drive once around the block? I'd wager none, since all of these aftermarket side mirrors have bad reviews. Whistling... folding in at speed... etc

·
Premium Member
16,891 Posts
The real question is, how many Vendors bothered to slap the mirror on and drive once around the block? I'd wager none, since all of these aftermarket side mirrors have bad reviews. Whistling... folding in at speed... etc

Really? ALL of them. hmmmmm.

(I have Four(4) current Jeeps and Five(5) sets of mirrors - One set has a minor whistle.)

hmmmm

BTW: You wanna take a stab at How many parts a vehicle vendor sells? Rough guess? Do YOU really think EVERY item is Tested Personally by the vendor?
Are you even serious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MIght not be practical to test everything, but we trust a vendor to sell us quality product. These mirrors are all but worthless between whistling and folding over 40mph. I amd usually very happy with everything that has the quadratec name. These mirrors are the bad exeption.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts