Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at my options for sliders and the White Knuckle sliders are pretty appealing. I love the classic looks and the price is right. They are frame mounted which is what I want.

I'm looking for people that have them to get some feedback. I'd like to see pictures of how they bolt to the frame as well. I know frame mounted mount lower than other styles but I feel that they offer the best protection. HREW or DOM tubing? For $30 more DOM seems to make sense but if it's not necessary than I'll skip it. Also what kind of lead times do they have? I hope its nothing like Shrockworks (great products, but bad business practice).

Jeep JK Rock Sliders

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Should be very similar to the Shrockworks- at least as similar as sliders can get to Shrockworks. I was down to these two (started with a few more- LOD, Fab Four, Teraflex, PureJeep, Treks) and ended up waiting 2-3 months for the Shrockworks at the end. Can't go wrong with White Knuckle DOM, in my opinion. My Shrockworks fit very well though some frame drilling was required. Better than drilling into the thin sheet metal or using the body-mount bolts though. I believe the White Knuckles are the same way. Just pay the extra and get the DOM tubing if you play in the rocks a lot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had their rails on a Tacoma (pictures are on their site for Tacoma). They are very sturdy and delivery is pretty fast. I had them a week after ordering them. Check out their website at White Knuckle Off Road Products. They also have a video that demonstrates their toughness on youtube.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With shipping the WK are $430 (DOM) and the SW are $533. I don't know what kind tubing the SW sliders are. I've heard good things about WK which is why I'm considering them just want some feedback from people that have purchased them.

I agree with the frame mounting being the strongest way to attach sliders and I've gone back and forth on whether I would be happy with the JCR classics for $329. Such a good deal and they look great I'm just not a huge fan of the mounting points. If I ever did get any body damage with those on my Jeep I would kick myself for not just getting frame mounted ones to begin with.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ive got the White Knuckle sliders and dont have any big complaints. I got them for the same reasons you mentioned them. I originally planned on getting the shrockworks but the long lead times got me looking at other options. The white knuckles look very similar. I got the DOM because it wasnt that much more and is supposed to be stronger. I dont do a ton of rock crawling (mostly trails with smaller rocks, trees, etc up this way) but theyve worked fine to pivot around trees and slide over everything ive tried. The powdercoat isnt all that great and mine is scratched / chipped off in a few places. All in all im happy with them.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have only had the Shrockworks for a few months. Their powdercoat is one of the things I heard really good things about. However, if you scrape hard on rocks, they will all need to be sanded and touched up. I ran into a 4Runner guy who had his sliders for three years. They looked well used but no rust and the powdercoat was still good- just scratched up. If you get the White Knuckle, ask if they use zinc primer. If they do, it stops rust from spreading and it is easy to sand and touch up a spot or two.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use WKO sliders on my Land Cruiser which weighs almost 6,000lbs with me in it. Landed on a couple rocks and held up fine. I did not go with DOM tubing nor powdercoat. I just touch them up every so often with spray paint.

I like the short wait plus made in America. I would do business with them again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also have then on my 100-series land cruiser that weighs over 6000lbs. I had them powdercoated, dom tubing, and a diamond steel top plate. They've held up great and saved the truck a bunch of times. They make a good jacking point also. They do tend to slide up on the frame and can run on the underside of the body. Other than that, they've been great. John is also a super nice guy.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the trigger on these last night finally after a couple of beers. Decided to skip the DOM tubing based on the fact that I don't really do "rock garden" crawling and I did some online research that said HREW is plenty strong. The terrain around here is mostly trees. Skipped the powder coat because I think it will be easier to just touch them up with a spray can if needed. I'll post back after I receive them and get them mounted up.

Thanks for all your replies! :drinks:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the sliders in yesterday. Less than a month from ordered to my door step, can't beat that for hand fabbed! They look awesome and are very stout.

Here is a bad picture I will try to get more up soon. I painted them with primer today so they don't start to rust with the Florida humidity here.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, so it's been a few days. I decided to paint the sliders with primer to prevent surface rust from forming in this 100% humidity state I'm in where it rains every night.

I worked on getting these installed and it was not as easy as I was hoping. The first hurdle here is the size of the drill bits required for the install. Directions call for 1/8", 5/16", 13/32" and 21/64". Now I had a very hard time finding a 21/64 bit. Home Depot, Sears and Ace hardware do not have them individually. The only place I could find it was a mom & pop hardware store that was actually in process of converting to an ACE. So I'm glad I got it when I did. 21/64 is required for the self tapping bolts that are included. I will be emailing John at WKF to suggest changing to a more common size. That was hurdle number 1.

Oh also the 13/32 bit that I went out and bought specifically for this install is only used to scribe the frame so you know where to drill. I could have easily used a 1/2" bit for that. I thought maybe the 13/32 was the right size or something but it didn't matter.

The next problem I faced was my own fault, and thanks to people on this forum I got it straightened out. When drilling the frame drill SLOW not fast. I had no idea. I switched from my high speed Makita corded drill to my 18v Porter Cable drill/driver and got all 16 holes drilled. While threading the self tapping bolts the instructions say to use an impact wrench. Well that worked ok for 2 bolts then I sheared off a bolt head. After much cursing I just used a sawzall and cut it flush with the frame and moved on. I threaded the other 15 holes by hand. One less bolt isn't going to make a difference I don't think. Very labor intensive process. Took me about 6 hours today. My shoulders and arms are killing me. I was very much wishing I bought the JCR bolt on sliders while doing the install.

Bolt I sheared off with impact wrench:

The driver side slider had a lot of room for adjustment and I was able to follow the directions to get it level however after all the holes were drilled and l bolted it up it definitely is a little lower on the backside. Not a huge amount but enough that I notice. Once I paint the sliders black maybe I won't see it. The passenger side however had much tighter tolerances and I was not able to adjust much. All the mounting points contacted the frame so there was no real way to level it out. It worked out fine as it sits a little higher than the driver side and looks better actually.

I just need to do the final paint and reinstall and I will be done. All in all the install was mostly straightforward but not without a few hiccups along the way. They are super beefy and I would still recommend them just know that they aren't a bolt on affair.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Good perseverance! On the bright side, assuming they are the DOM tubing- these will be a lot stronger than the JCR or Ace ones.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I opted not to get the DOM. I probably should have since it was only $30 more but the research I did said it was not really needed and HREW is plenty strong. After lifting these things several times I believe it. It is going to be very difficult to damage these sliders. I don't do much rock crawling anyway.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the sliders mounted up for good finally! Before I installed them I sprayed the rocker panels with Plasti-Dip to hide the pinch seam. We'll see if it holds up.

Then I mounted up the sliders. With the weather we've been having it took me about a week to get enough coats of paint on them. Didn't come out as nice as other paint jobs due to several faulty Rustoleum cans. Paint was dripping out of the spray handle part. Luckily Home Depot gave me a refund.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts