Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Definitely a Jeep noob, but my daughter has been wanting one for year. She's a great person and I wanted to do something special for her. So I bought her a 2015 all Bright White Rubicon Unlimited. Her choice of color. Though I'm a car nut and love to buy and mod cars, she's in charge of the choices on this one. The build won't take long since she is away in college and I need to get this done and to her by the first week in August. The mods will come fast and furious. I will be posting before and after pics and some mod details along the way.

The planned mods (some already done since Saturday) roughly in order that I think they will happen are:
1. Offroad 13" black antenna - done pics below
2. Locking hood latches - done pics including some install pics below
3. Tail light guards - done pics below
4. Headlight/Turn Signal black accent rings - done pics below
5. Grill opening Accents/Screens - done pics below
6. Black "Jeep" emblem on Grille
7. Front Window Tint
8. Black Jeep OEM fuel filler cover
9. Flag background Rubicon replacement decal for hood
10. Texas State Flag/Decal for below
11. 3.25" ProRunner Lift Kit
12. ProRunner Monotube Shocks Front/Rear w/Red Boots
13. XD 17x9 RockStar Black Wheels (gen 1 w/chrome star)
14. Toyo 35x12.5R17 LRE A/T II Tires
15. Smittybilt XRC Mod Bumper center+full width end caps+bull bar in black wrinkle finish
16. LED diffused fog lights installed in pockets in XRC front bumper
17. Smittybilt XRC Gen2 Max Rear Bumper
18. LED diffused backup lights installed in pockets in XRC rear bumper
19. Red D-Shackles w/Red isolators on front and rear bumper
20. Smittybilt 9.5K Gen2 Winch
21. 2x2 Square LED mounted on bottom corners of windshield
22. A-Pillar 4 switch pod to control Bumper LEDs, Windshield LEDs, Rear LED's, and winch power.
23. 50" OPT7 LED light bar on top of windshield using Rough Country brackets.

Mod's 11 to 22 are being done by a shop here in Austin. So those are being done next week. Big changes by next weekend...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Locking Latches and Antenna done on Saturday. Antenna a snap as you would expect. The latches on the other hand required some ingenuity.

The stock latches are held on by a nut inside the fender. The instructions say use a "small ratchet" with a 13mm socket but it's just not possible. I found that removing the front grill allowed me to reach through the front with a 13mm box end wrench. This was much easier. A few pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thats exactly what i had to do with a mate when we installed his latches.

Get used to it, nothing aftermarket goes on easily.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grill inserts and headlight/turn signal trim rings done. Very simple install with adhesive. Be sure to clear areas very well with alcohol swabs preferrably. If you're really serious (which I guess I wasn't) you can use adhesive promoter but I didn't want to chase it down...

For you sharp eyed folks you'll also notice the black jeep emblem. That was an experiment with plastidip. Done lots of this on other vehicles but didn't like the quality of the result on the letters so I'm order black OEM letters to replace these.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Looking good so far, Looking forward to seeing it when its lifted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. She's a great kid, so she deserves it.

A few new mods getting added to the list. She wants some red accents inside so were doing the two things below. Going to use red plastidip and the clear glossifier on the the vents and trim. Also ordered the rough country red grab handles. Was going to use the paracord versions but they're too expensive for what they are.

Should have the fuel cover and new black letters this week so all of this should get done Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been doing some mods last night and this morning...

Put the Mopar fuel door on. It came with silver screws, what are they thinking? So I sprayed them flat black. Still need to do some touch ups after the install on the paint. Also, The instructions we're surprisingly lacking. No words, just pictures. Basically, here are the steps:
1. Pull the driver's side tail light so you can reach in and release the clips
2. You can really only access 2 of the 4 clips, but that's enough. I popped those loose and then coaxed the stock cover loose with my hands - no tools to scratch the paint. If you just grab under the lip of the stock part, you can pop the other 2 clips loose.
3. Pull the whole stock cover free but you will have to work the rubber seal off the fuel filler neck. I had a hand on the fuel filler neck through the tail light opening and the other hand worked the unit off.
4. Pull the rubber seal out of the stock unit and put in the mopar unit.
5. Now the fun part - getting the rubber seal back over the fuel filler. Again one hand on the neck and the other working the seal back on.
6. Pop the mopar cover in all the way.
The daughter want's some "splashes of red" on the inside and outside of the jeep. So...
Plasti-dipped the vent trim rings and grab bar trim in red. About 5 coats of red, and 5 coats of glossifier.

Installed the rough country red grab handles. Very interesting location for the fronts. I will share a tip on pulling the top A Pillar bolt. You have to use a 1/2" socket, so I took some spray adhesive I had in the shop and sprayed the top edge of the socket. This way when I put the socket on the nut/washer, it holds onto it. There is a huge opening between the A Pillar trim and the actual A Pillar, if you drop the bolt out of your socket - Good by bolt or Hello dash disassembly!!!
Installed the USA Flag background Rubicon letters on the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Monday evening I drop her off at the shop for the following to be done. Supposed to get her back Wednesday evening.

1. 3.25" ProRunner Lift Kit
2. ProRunner Monotube Shocks Front/Rear w/Red Boots
3. XD 17x9 RockStar Black Wheels (gen 1 w/chrome star)
4. Toyo 35x12.5R17 LRE A/T II Tires
5. Smittybilt XRC Mod Bumper center+full width end caps+bull bar in black wrinkle finish
6. LED diffused fog lights installed in pockets in XRC front bumper
7. Smittybilt XRC Gen2 Max Rear Bumper
8. LED diffused backup lights installed in pockets in XRC rear bumper
9. Red D-Shackles w/Red isolators on front and rear bumper
10. Smittybilt 9.5K Gen2 Winch
11. 2x2 Square LED lights mounted on bottom corners of windshield

Next up after that:

1. Window Tint
2. 50" LED light bar - should be here by Thursday of this week
3. HMF Light bar windshield mount. Also due this week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone had luck selling their stock wheels and tires?

I'll be pulling all 5 off this week with like 200 miles on them. I hope to sell them and recover a little of the cost of the upgrades...

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I got 900 for mine off craigslist. You should be able to move them pretty quickly. Just so you know, by giving your daughter a jeep, you have made her into a guy magnet. LOL She will love the rig.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I decided to go ahead and black out the muffler and exhaust pipe like others I've seen on the forum. I think it will clean up the back with the lift and new black wrinkle bumper. Don't want that unfinished metal showing!

Super easy to do with just a can of high heat flat black paint.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts