Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With GPS on every ones phones these days who brings paper maps with them on the trail?

I make custom maps at caltopo.com and then print them on special tear proof paper.

A lot of my friends love them, and I am thinking of selling them. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
I use offline gps maps on an iPad mini with an external gps reciever. I have the same on my iPhone as backup, but I would certainly have hard copy maps if I spent a lot of time in one area. I've used the USGS maps you can download. Any benefit of using caltopo?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use offline gps maps on an iPad mini with an external gps reciever. I have the same on my iPhone as backup, but I would certainly have hard copy maps if I spent a lot of time in one area. I've used the USGS maps you can download. Any benefit of using caltopo?
I personally use caltopo.com because I can choose MGRS maps over lat and lng and I can add my own points of interests easily and print myself

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
I do the external GPS receiver with my phone and IPAD but as a backup I usually keep track with a paper map. I normally have my kid keep track on the paper map. Gives her something to do and teaches her a little something when we are out there.

Reactions: mikejones3

·
Registered
539 Posts
I get the maps from the Ranger Office or USGS and sometimes from the University store as they have topo's for just about anywhere.

The detail is what I like as most GPS's won't have that small Jeep trail on it.

Great for backup as well when marking spots to go to or avoid.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I personally use caltopo.com because I can choose MGRS maps over lat and lng and I can add my own points of interests easily and print myself Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Cool, I'll check it out. The usgs website is kinda clunky too

Edit: Just checked it out, Caltopo is awesome! Much easier to use. only downside is if you want more than 5 pages of maps at once you need a premium account (start at $20 annually)

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
In the Colorado mountains there is rarely a cell signal.
I like the USGS maps and keep a handheld GPS as backup. The screen on a handheld is too small to have enough detail and still give a large enough picture so that you can relate to your surroundings. You either zoom out and loose detail, or zoom in and loose perspective.

Sometimes it's difficult to find your exact location on the paper map. That's where the handheld GPS comes in handy.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not just the trail but this is how we travel, though the wife has been suggesting a tablet or laptop for a slow crossover from paper to digital. Doesn't mean we'll get rid of the paper maps.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I love all the electronic gizmo maps available and use two different mapping apps on an Ipad, but I always carry the latest official public land access maps. Paper USFS MVUM's (motor vehicle use maps) are the only official open forest service route maps available as far as I know, and the BLM's surface recreation maps have a lot of information about interesting places to explore not shown on the electronic maps.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm behind the times on electronic mapping and have only a Garmin Montana. I try to always have paper maps in the Jeep. I keep BLM, Forest Service and Nat Geo Trails Illustrated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Get ready for my old man "get off my lawn statement":
I don't care how sophisticated our devices & GPS gets, nothing beats the feel of holding a paper map, or spreading a paper map out on the kitchen table, to get the big picture of an exciting trip. (not exactly the trail question you asked but..). I think it's sad that most of the kids we are raising now couldn't read a real map if their life depended on it. One thing I did with my both my boys was to sit them down and teach them map knowledge. I don't know if they ever use that knowledge...but they have it if they need it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I always carry treated paper maps and a geo transit [a professional grade geology/surveying compass]. Batteries die, electronics fail, and GPS can be disabled.

Between the Boy Scouts, the Marine Corps [long before GPS was invented], and my geology degree, I can shoot an azimuth, do resection, calculate back azimuth, etc. without a problem.

As long as the Earth's geomagnetic field holds up and I can see a map, I know where I am at and can plot a course to get where I want to be.

I use this to waterproof my maps: http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=64&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sort of odd thing we're doing while traveling. Using a paper map and if we happen across a spot which we want to remember, we would use finger nail stickers to mark these locations, because the finger nail stickers tend to have some sort of image which we can reference what the stop was about etc. Had a chance to look at a 10'' tablet over the weekend with Google maps on screen and the wife/navigator likes it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Let it invert - add or subtract 180 degrees as needed and move on.

If the inner core stops spinning, we'll have far more pressing problems for the short time we have left before everything on the planet dies.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Let it invert - add or subtract 180 degrees as needed and move on.

If the inner core stops spinning, we'll have far more pressing problems for the short time we have left before everything on the planet dies.
True that! Damn!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Paper maps and charts. "NO electrons needed."
Retired Sailor, and having learned navigation in the Boy Scouts and fine tuned it in the Navy I can say without a doubt, I love my GPS and all the information it provides me in travel BUT: you can't beat the good old stars, compass and time for when you're without electricity. A good paper map is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paper maps and charts. "NO electrons needed."
Retired Sailor, and having learned navigation in the Boy Scouts and fine tuned it in the Navy I can say without a doubt, I love my GPS and all the information it provides me in travel BUT: you can't beat the good old stars, compass and time for when you're without electricity. A good paper map is icing on the cake.
I would love to take a course in celestial navigation

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am looking at using a ipad mini 4 with Cellular for gps. What mount do you use?

·
Registered
655 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts