Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, and can I use it today????

Yep, I need a bench vice. I am changing out the u-joints in my D30 axle shafts. They are 19 years old and so rusty, at first I couldn't even see the c-clips holding in the u-joint.

I sure would appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I just need to run over and switch out the u-joints real quick. I already pulled the axles.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on Hoosiers!!! Someone around here has to have one.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sure you want to do it yourself, but my NAPA has a shop in the back and pressed them in for $10/each. Just an option...
Right on and thanks Sinister6!!! If our NAPA was open today, I sure would stop by and get it done. The only parts stores around here open on Sunday are AutoZone and such.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got one side done thanks to a friend, but I got to tell you, I am sure they are going to charge me more than $10.00 for what went through. Hahahahahaha!!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
All you need is some sockets one just smaller then the cap and one just alittle bigger and a small 3lb hammer pound each cap until the opposite side comes out repeat for each side

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All you need is some sockets one just smaller then the cap and one just alittle bigger and a small 3lb hammer pound each cap until the opposite side comes out repeat for each side
Under normal circumstances you would be right, how ever, my u-joints are original and 18 years old and spent their whole life in the snow belt. They were so rusted that I could not even see the c-clips at first. I had to spay them down with PB Blaster and then wire brushed the heck out of them. The u-joins felt like they were fused in there. It was horrible. I still have the other side to do too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a vice but I'm in West Lebanon on the west central part of the state next to Illinois. If you are not to far your welcome to use it.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a vice but I'm in West Lebanon on the west central part of the state next to Illinois. If you are not to far your welcome to use it.
Yo, thanks AKPony. I might take you up on it someday very soon. I need to get it done soon. I have to go get another u-joint. It is a long story, but I busted a cap on the new one, so I pulled a cap off the one for the other side.

I wrote about it in another thread, but I did go to a WAY COOL race shop to do the one. Since I had a vice and every tool imaginable to my disposal, I thought I would have it done pretty easy, but I was sadly mistaken.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lol that's the way it always goes. My daughter has a rusty cherokee that I'm about to dive into. I'm sure it's going to be a blast.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I know where Lebanon is. I also know where Covington is, Linton, Attica, North Vigo county and many other place like Dana and Montezuma. So where do you live?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
West Lebanon it's about 10 miles from Attica right off of 63.
Right on. Thanks again for the offer, and I will elt you know if I can get some time and get over there!!!

·
Registered
22,156 Posts
If you were closer you could of used mine, I normally take the sissy way out and pay the 10 bucks to have them done though lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts