Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '12 JK Sport for my "good" Jeep. My TJ is fine for around town and the mud, but wanted something a little more for highway/ and things like that.

I have ran a duster - jammer- bikini- combo on the TJ for several years for about 8 months out of the year, and a halftop in the winter. I love it.

I want to add the duster to my JK for the looks, and think it helps the wind drag/ and security when parked. (if they can't see it won't steal it) On one of the parts sites it said that softtop needs to be removed. Is this correct? Does it need to be removed or can it be folded down? I purchased the JK in Dec. so haven't had the top folded down yet--so not sure how it will look when folded.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks! :wavey:

·
Registered
733 Posts
From what I have gathered, the sailpanels on the soft top would need to be disconnected from the tub rails, which is what the duster would connect to. I have seen some rig the sail panels up and under the top then bungee the back of the top down in a fashion, but overall it seems as if it will not work stock.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The soft top needs to be removed. The duster uses all the rails, and there's no room to fold the soft top up, so after some highway driving you are likely to have a parachute. The mount at the roll bar are in the way of the Windjammer. They way they designed in, it's either one or the other.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one or the other is fine--my confusion comes from the TJ I guess. I thought maybe on a JK you couldn't fold the top down and put the duster over it----I don't want to assume anything and thought maybe someone else could clarify for me.

The duster for the TJ is actually "cut" to allow for the top folded "nicely" under the duster.

I will get a Bikini and header also if needed.

Almost made this more confusing---I meant if I need cover for the front from the sun.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
one or the other is fine--my confusion comes from the TJ I guess. I thought maybe on a JK you couldn't fold the top down and put the duster over it----I don't want to assume anything and thought maybe someone else could clarify for me.

The duster for the TJ is actually "cut" to allow for the top folded "nicely" under the duster.

I will get a Bikini and header also if needed.

Almost made this more confusing---I meant if I need cover for the front from the sun.
Same for the YJ. I was a little disapointed when I installed the combo on my JK. I ran my YJ like this for years and always had the soft top availible for serious summer storms/hurricanes. I think I'm going to try the Trektop NX this spring.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Tj, I hated it.

Back window/wind jammer wrapped around the side sport bars. My seats had to be positioned almost straight up. Very uncomfortable. Don't know if is designed different on the Jk or JKU for that matter.
Plus I did not have door surrounds. They were not needed but closed in some of the gap. Not totally weather proof either.
FAIL IMO.

Bought and returned 2 days later :)

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand and agree about losing the full seat adjustment--and also not weather proof. However as I have the TJ for more inclement weather/ am trying to understand why/ how it is not possible to drop the softtop--and put duster over the top. I am dense I guess--I think it has been said--but I want to make sure no confusion.

Duster ONLY.

A duster can not be used with any JK --that still has the soft top or hardware attached. Is that a true statement?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
jp2611 said:
I understand and agree about losing the full seat adjustment--and also not weather proof. However as I have the TJ for more inclement weather/ am trying to understand why/ how it is not possible to drop the softtop--and put duster over the top. I am dense I guess--I think it has been said--but I want to make sure no confusion.

Duster ONLY.

A duster can not be used with any JK --that still has the soft top or hardware attached. Is that a true statement?
I believe so because it uses the same body rails as the windows snap into ??

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Here's a pic of the soft top down.

Notice the soft top bows go down into the tub when the top is folded back. You won't be able to do this with the duster on. With my YJ they folded flat and were actually just under the duster. The JK's bows attach higher on the roll bar. (also a reason why I can't throw a couple of fire extinguishers on the roll bar like I did with my YJ). Also the soft top itself needs a place to go when folded up. If the duster as on, it would all hang up and eventually fly out creating a parachute. With my YJ I just removed the material from the bows and folded it neatley under the duster.

So, no, you cannot run a duster with the factory soft top.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you I was afraid it was something like that. may have to do some figuring or get a security box for the backend. thank you everyone for your help---don't understand why they would do it like that. :(

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

Duster ONLY.

I have done quite a bit of research on this. Yes, the duster will not allow the soft top to remain in place on the JK. The control arms for soft top sit up too high, plus the soft top actually makes too big a bulge. You could just attach the duster from the mid rollbar area, but you would just have a piece of cloth supermannin your JK. Also, most windjammers utilize the brackets where the control arms extrude from the rollbar.

Besttop makes a soundbar cap combo, that lets your windjammer sit farther back, which will allow you to actually get pretty close to element proof, it seals the gap when used with the right windjammer.

Unfortunately my friend, you have to remove your soft top.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe time for a new thread----but will tag question on here to try first.

Now that it has been explained to nth degree---no softop/and duster. (sorry for the slow uptake)

Does anyone run with windows out, and sunrider open/flipped back? Can this be done SAFELY at highway speeds?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes, I have done that quite a bit, I was more concerned at first doing that with windows in :D

You are fine running with sunrider open, and windows removed. Back window bigger issue, I would make sure that one is removed. But some members here, have even said at reasonable speeds they have left windows on, and it was fine. I would not attempt that personally.

Just make sure it is strapped with the velcro straps at highway speeds

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Heres mine and no you can't use duster with soft top.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I firmly believe that on a 4 door it can be done, it just sits atop the duster. He has is attached to the hard top hold downs under the duster. this is for you 4 door guys. i will be running this once nebraska's weather decides to shape up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts