Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More interested in the 2drs but would like to see the 4drs. If you have numbers also add in what is weighing you down if it isn't in your signature. I might go weigh mine today. Curious what the bumpers/winch/skids/tires actually did to the weight.

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
My 2-door Rubicon has 35" General Grabbers on lightweight QT alloys, front and rear Mopar bumpers, and a Warn 9.5cti winch with synthetic rope.

One time I drove over my buddy's foot and he said "OUCH, it weighs a TON!"

Does that help?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I tried. Everytime I drove on the scale Springs popped out and a clown head jumped out and said, "Hey, get Fat Ass out of here and try again".

( I think he was referring to the Jeep)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
More interested in the 2drs but would like to see the 4drs. If you have numbers also add in what is weighing you down if it isn't in your signature. I might go weigh mine today. Curious what the bumpers/winch/skids/tires actually did to the weight.
Did you have a baseline weight before the mods? I weigh what I take off and what I add and try not to let it get way out of wack. The unsprung weight is the real issue I see with a lot of jeeps. (wheel/tire) I'm glad to see that some are upgrading their brakes to compensate.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Did you have a baseline weight before the mods? I weigh what I take off and what I add and try not to let it get way out of wack. The unsprung weight is the real issue I see with a lot of jeeps. (wheel/tire) I'm glad to see that some are upgrading their brakes to compensate.
Absolutely agree here. Weight is an issue every where, including bumpers and such. It's easy to add 500 lbs to a Jeep with just bumpers, tire carrier, winch, lift, wheels and tires.

The biggest issues are the unsprung weight and rotating mass. When I was comparing tires a few years back, I looked at the weight of all 35x12.50x17 tires. BFGs and Good years were the lightest by far. I remember the toyos weighed about 40lbs more per tire... That's an additional 200 lbs, 160 of which is unsprung weight and rotating mass. It makes a big difference with performance.

Now this thread makes we want to go find a scale.

Curb weight per Jeep on a 2016 JKU is 4100 with an auto, 4075 with a manual.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Our '13 JKU weighs in at 5020 loaded for towing with a full tank of gas.

I've added quite a bit of weight with steel bumpers, winch, skids, 37s, tire carrier, as well as carrying tools and recovery gear.

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
I'll play:
2014 JKUR
37" Toyo MT
Full armor/truss/etc
Steel bumpers/rock rails

Weighed before our last overland trip with the following items packed, includes me but not the wife:
Yeti 65- Full
5 gallon Jerry can of fuel
9500 pound winch
Hi Lift jack
Shackles
Straps
Air compressor
Tire plug kit (w/extra plugs)
CB
Full socket set
Shovel
Knife/saw
Jumper Battery
Misc wrenches, screw drivers, zip ties, etc
Air mattress (sleeping in Jeep)
Sleeping bags/pillows
TP
Water
Food
Stove/pans/plates, etc
Duct tape
Sledge
Long gun, pistols, extra ammo
Ratchet straps
Gear oil
Fire extinguisher
Lighter
Lantern (LED)
Flashlights
Batteries
iPad w/ movies
Tarp
Chairs
Folding table
Coffee pot/coffee
Folding toilet stool
Trasharoo
Camera
Go Pro

Grand total: 5880 pounds

After that shocker I started removing weight from the Jeep and will continue to be mindful of what I add.

Pics of load:

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Ummmm...... How to say this. When you post "Pics of the Load".
You may want to consider "Not" posting the picture of your lovely Wife.
Just sayin' :)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I'll play:
2014 JKUR
37" Toyo MT
Full armor/truss/etc
Steel bumpers/rock rails

Weighed before our last overland trip with the following items packed, includes me but not the wife:
Yeti 65- Full
5 gallon Jerry can of fuel
9500 pound winch
Hi Lift jack
Shackles
Straps
Air compressor
Tire plug kit (w/extra plugs)
CB
Full socket set
Shovel
Knife/saw
Jumper Battery
Misc wrenches, screw drivers, zip ties, etc
Air mattress (sleeping in Jeep)
Sleeping bags/pillows
TP
Water
Food
Stove/pans/plates, etc
Duct tape
Sledge
Long gun, pistols, extra ammo
Ratchet straps
Gear oil
Fire extinguisher
Lighter
Lantern (LED)
Flashlights
Batteries
iPad w/ movies
Tarp
Chairs
Folding table
Coffee pot/coffee
Folding toilet stool
Trasharoo
Camera
Go Pro

Grand total: 5880 pounds

After that shocker I started removing weight from the Jeep and will continue to be mindful of what I add.

Pics of load:

Thank you for sharing.

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Ran my 15JKWW across the scales yesterday...

front 2300
rear 2350
with ~me~ in driver seat

no rear seat/metal gear box bolted in place, minimal tools
Warn Elite front bumper/winch/synthetic line

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Mine weighed in at 4880 pounds with a full tank of gas and me not in it, I have steel front rear bumpers, hi lift jack, winch with synthetic line, assorted recovery gear in the back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Thanks to You Guys...... I just Crushed Four(4) perfectly good Bathroom scales!

(thank you :))

fyi- my Jeep weighs more than 300 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

14 jkur 2.5" lift 35's stock front bumper w/vr10000s, shrockworks rear bumper, lod sliders, gastank skid. full tank of gas nothing else in vehicle except some spare change.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Absolutely agree here. Weight is an issue every where, including bumpers and such. It's easy to add 500 lbs to a Jeep with just bumpers, tire carrier, winch, lift, wheels and tires.

The biggest issues are the unsprung weight and rotating mass. When I was comparing tires a few years back, I looked at the weight of all 35x12.50x17 tires. BFGs and Good years were the lightest by far. I remember the toyos weighed about 40lbs more per tire... That's an additional 200 lbs, 160 of which is unsprung weight and rotating mass. It makes a big difference with performance.

Now this thread makes we want to go find a scale.

Curb weight per Jeep on a 2016 JKU is 4100 with an auto, 4075 with a manual.
Rubicons weigh more too, I don't think it's just the hood decals either..........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts