Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tire, size and air pressure? Would you by E rated again? Why or why not?

I am looking at the Cooper S/T Maxx tires but they are only available with an E rating and I've read many mixed reviews on doing E's so I want to hear from some folks with first hand experience and if they would do it again or not.

CooperTiresConsumer - Discoverer S/T MAXX<span class='trademark'>™</span>

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
kjeeper's correct. I'm running E-rated DuraTracs in 315/75R16, @ 32 PSI on paved roads. Most adults who've ridden in my Jeep think it's a pretty harsh ride, but it doesn't bug me at all. I want my 4x4's to ride like trucks.

If I had a Hawaiian Girl bobblehead on my dashboard (which, alas, I do not), she'd be wigglin.

Chances are just shy of certain that I'll buy the exact same tire once these wear out.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Running 37x12.50x17 GY MTRs. Happiest at about 25psi on my KJU
Missus has 37x13.50x17 Toyo MTs. Happiest at about 25psi on her JK

Both are E rated tires. Anything close to 30psi and you feel everything on the road.

Bob K.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi

Bought last year Cooper S/T Maxx studded in 265/70/17 as the are approved as a legal wintertire in Sweden.

As I waited almost a year for my wrangler so the wintertime was over so I could not put them one so I have to wait to test them one my 2 door wrangler Sahara 2012.

After I ordered them I read about E-rated, little bit concerned but much snow and little air in them will give me a soft ride :)

I will put them on in november or so.

Strange, Good year Duratrac is not allowed here as a wintertire. The manufacter desides what tire is allowed here as a wintetire and Cooper is more foregiving. I think Duratrac is better in wintertime because the more saiping and I think it has softer rubber. I think that the Cooper maxx is tougher.

To the left Cooper S/T MAXX 265/70/17 on Black Rock 908B rim, to the right orginal Bridgestone Dueller 255/70/18 on Jeep rim.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
^ To add to what Ken said, Kbwwolf is running 315/70/16 GY Duratracs which weigh according to Goodyear and not tirerack.com = 66lbs per tire. He is running these on the 3.6 with 3.73 gears.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
^ To add to what Ken said, Kbwwolf is running 315/70/16 GY Duratracs which weigh according to Goodyear and not tirerack.com = 66lbs per tire. He is running these on the 3.6 with 3.73 gears.
:eek:

Stalker!

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Even if they are E rated, tweaking the air pressure may yield a satisfactory ride.
On another note, with a few well placed strokes of my Ideal Heated Knife, I could enhance the wet/snow traction without negatively affecting the off road ability of this tire.

I always liked Cooper tires; my father ran them some and they are one of the few American owned tire companies left. But their website doesn't list tire weights so I could never tell if they were light or heavy.

But I digress.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Obviously this is a subjective thing. I have ridden in Jeeps with E rated tires and could not wait to get out. They were annoying and did not absorb bumps well- at slow or high speeds. Maybe some D rated tires would be fine. I'm even cautious about D rated tires.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Even if they are E rated, tweaking the air pressure may yield a satisfactory ride.
On another note, with a few well placed strokes of my Ideal Heated Knife, I could enhance the wet/snow traction without negatively affecting the off road ability of this tire.

I always liked Cooper tires; my father ran them some and they are one of the few American owned tire companies left. But their website doesn't list tire weights so I could never tell if they were light or heavy.

But I digress.
Just because Cooper is an American company doesn't mean their products are made in America. If they are, I'll be buying a set of Cooper tires when it comes time to replace mine. :thumb:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Just because Cooper is an American company doesn't mean their products are made in America. If they are, I'll be buying a set of Cooper tires when it comes time to replace mine. :thumb:
You can doubt my statement, but I did the research. Cooper is American owned with headquarters in Ohio and manufacturing facilities here in the US, Europe, and China.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I can't comment on all Cooper tires being made in the US, but any that I have checked were. That is the main reason I run them on my car and Jeeps. Unfortunately unless you go to a 15" tire, most good tires to fit a Jeep are E rated with a few D rated. Not many options.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Cooper also has a new tire, the AT3, that comes in size 275/70-17 with a D load rating.
This tire gets good reviews for wet traction and even does OK for mild offroading.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I've got Kelly TSRs E rated 10 ply 265/65R18 ride just fine at 35#.

They are a bit stiffer but I don't think the ride any different as far as I can tell.

Ran the OEM Duelers up to 25k, now have run the Kellys another 20k.

Yes they are heavier. Circumference size is within about 3/4" so gearing while slightly affected isn't too much.

Traction of course is WAY better, and they are virtually silent for road noise.

Having worked in a tire shop for 4 years I have always paid close attention to such details....but was frankly surprised how well the Kelly ride really was despite misgivings.

My 08JK Sahara probably rides 'as good as it can' given stock OEM suspension. Any choppiness etc seems more related to wheelbase and solid axle factors.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with the 10 ply....but make a deal with your tire shop to be able to trade out of 'em IF you really hate the results.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
You can doubt my statement, but I did the research. Cooper is American owned with headquarters in Ohio and manufacturing facilities here in the US, Europe, and China.
Where did I doubt your statement about Cooper not being an American-owned company?

I can't comment on all Cooper tires being made in the US, but any that I have checked were. That is the main reason I run them on my car and Jeeps. Unfortunately unless you go to a 15" tire, most good tires to fit a Jeep are E rated with a few D rated. Not many options.
Do you remember which ones were made in America?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Based on your comments in post #11. I too try to buy American made as much as possible. That's why I am currently running Duratracs; made in USA by an American company. From researching the Coops, I knew they were American owned and made.
On a side note, Cooper has a facility in England that makes tires for the European market and one in China to supply the rapidly growing automobile market there and elsewhere in Asia. But their US tires are made here.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Based on your comments in post #11. I too try to buy American made as much as possible. That's why I am currently running Duratracs; made in USA by an American company. From researching the Coops, I knew they were American owned and made.
On a side note, Cooper has a facility in England that makes tires for the European market and one in China to supply the rapidly growing automobile market there and elsewhere in Asia. But their US tires are made here.
As long as the Cooper tires I would be considering are made in the USA, I wouldn't care about the rest...

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I have e rated duratrac's great wet weather tire, outstanding snow tire. Quiet and comfortable ride. Don't think you can go wrong

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Cooper was stretched thin financially a few years ago but has improved their financial position since. They are the fourth largest tire maker in the US and ninth largest tire maker in the world, but 90% of the sales comes from North America. Their focus is on replacement tires and not OEM.

My concern with Cooper is there website doesn't list tire weights but I can imagine the Maxx in load range E and 3 ply sidewall probably easily busts the scales at 60 pounds or more. I want to minimize unsprung weight. As far as their light truck tires, it seems like they are more concerned with supplying sizes for 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Hence why they make most of the bigger sizes in load range E. It's almost like they don't know or don't care about the Jeep market. If they made the Maxx in 285/70-17 load range D (like the Duratracs for example), I would be a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts