Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting in a SBC 350. I have a 19" x 19" Griffin universal aluminum radiator mounted to my grill. I went to the junkyard today for a 90-95 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 fan and a Volvo relay controller.

I found the relay.

I could not find a 3.8 motor. Everything is 1.9 or 2.something. Does the 3.8 pull more CFM? Does it pull enough for a 350?
The 1.9 fans are 19"x 19" which is good. I found some that were 3 wire, which I assume means they have 2 speeds, which I want.
Does it even need to be a Taurus fan? There are a lot of other vehicles in there. There was a Grand Marquise that had a good fan by dimension standard, but it had a mechanical fan behind it. So does this mean it's merely an auxiliary fan and not strong enough?
I haven't found yet any threads where someone wanted to use a Taurus fan in a 350 swap but I am searching.
If I have to go with an Ebay Taurus fan, how can I ID it to make sure it's the one I want?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
correction: they are 3.0 motors in the jy (newer V6's).
Also, the Ebay Taurus fans are about $75. So I would guess at that price I should just throw in a little more for a new aftermarket.
IDK... I'm so confused...

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I know it fits TJs just a bolt on, not sure about a YJ, though.

You can buy it brand new from the dealer parts department. For a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 2.4L. Electric "Fan Module".
2 speed. Shrouded. Pulls more air than a Taurus fan by far.

Ill try and find the part number
EDit--- Found it. 55037694AB

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
I went with an E-Bay aftermarket 16" electric fan and made my own sheet metal shroud to mount the fan with enough clearance that I think I am pulling air through the entire radiator surface. The fan came in a kit with the temperature sender and relay. Single speed and a little noisy but with my exhaust you can't hear it anyway.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I put in a Dodge V8, I went with a brand new electric fan assembly from rockauto.com. It's made for a 1994-1997 Ford Thunderbird with the 4.6L engine. The design is identical to the famed Lincoln Mark VIII, only difference is that the T-Bird fan uses a 2 speed motor, whereas the Mark VIII uses a single speed motor that is controlled by a pulse width modulator (PWM). Mine is controlled with a DCC 2SP controller. The T-Bird fans are very strong, and they're only about $65.00 brand new! Here's the link.
More Information for TYC 620950

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I put in a Dodge V8, I went with a brand new electric fan assembly from rockauto.com. It's made for a 1994-1997 Ford Thunderbird with the 4.6L engine. The design is identical to the famed Lincoln Mark VIII, only difference is that the T-Bird fan uses a 2 speed motor, whereas the Mark VIII uses a single speed motor that is controlled by a pulse width modulator (PWM). Mine is controlled with a DCC 2SP controller. The T-Bird fans are very strong, and they're only about $65.00 brand new! Here's the link.
More Information for TYC 620950
Nice ad to the thread. Looks like a good bang-for-the-buck option.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got fed up searching for answers and pulled a 2 speed 3.0 Taurus fan from the jy today. I'll get my own results by trial and error. For $16 it's worth a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts