Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking about jeeps with my buddy and I was thinking the next model Jeep could have square headlight and here is why.
The willys had round then the cjs had round then yjs had square then the tjs had round and then jks have round. So it kinda looks like a pattern round,round,square,round,round,square?
What do you guys think. I was also think a cool factory option would be to choose coilover or leaf spring.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey the 80's are making a comeback so it could happen! Let's just pray they dont start bringing back all that chrome as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The reason we're back to round headlights, I think, is that overall the Jeep community didn't care for the square headlights on the YJ. Not that there's anything wrong with the YJ and the people who love them really love them, but square headlights just weren't "jeepy" enough. They were trying to create a bold new design that would show that this wasn't your grandpa's jeep. They weren't a complete design failure but they weren't exactly a hit either. I don't think they'll go back there again.

Besides, look how much they incorporate the jeep logo (two round headlights and seven vertical slots) as a design element these days....it's an icon. Going back to square doesn't fit in with the branding.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The reason we're back to round headlights, I think, is that overall the Jeep community didn't care for the square headlights on the YJ. Not that there's anything wrong with the YJ and the people who love them really love them, but square headlights just weren't "jeepy" enough. They were trying to create a bold new design that would show that this wasn't your grandpa's jeep. They weren't a complete design failure but they weren't exactly a hit either. I don't think they'll go back there again.

Besides, look how much they incorporate the jeep logo (two round headlights and seven vertical slots) as a design element these days....it's an icon. Going back to square doesn't fit in with the branding.
Well stated. I agree with everything you said.

I love my YJ and I don't even think about the headlight design, but I recall thinking the YJ was unusual looking when they first hit the showroom floor.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Round lights have better optics. Also, I would bet they the new jeep will have hid headlights.
Citation needed. I think this statement that round lamps are better optically is wrong. I'm fairly certain that the opposite is true.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The next jeep is slated to have ifs, so let's not lump YJs in with that design idea.

·
Registered
740 Posts

I think Chief is 100% correct.

There's no way the lights will be square on the next model, not that square would be a bad thing IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts