Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our 2005 TJ about a month ago. One reason we got it was for towing it behind our motor home and an occasional trip to the dunes. I have ours ready to tow and we will be making our first trip in a few weeks. Going to the beach/dunes, can’t wait.

Who else tows their Jeep behind a RV? Pictures? Stories? Suggestions?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I do. I pull it and a 30' fifth wheel trailer behind a Duramax Chevy. I pulled it about 1400 miles on a trip to and from Colorado this summer. I really didn't notice anything different from just towing the trailer except you have to turn just a little wider and of course it takes more room to park. Mine is an '07 JK.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
My father has an 05 that he tows behind a 22' class C. He flat towes it with a kit he bought. it uses an aux brake booster on the jeep so the jeep brakes help stop and if the jeep brakes away the brakes will come on and hold the jeep in place.

As to suggestions, if your flat towing, always remember to unlock the steering wheel... 150 miles and two new front tires later...

And you don't need a coded key to unlock the wheel, just a blank that will turn is all you need.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I tow mine all the time behind my 30 foot Class A. I too have the supplemental breaking system that applies the Jeep's brake when stopping. I can't even tell it is back there except for the additional weight going up steeper hills. As mentioned above, make sure the steering is unlocked. You do not need to leave the ignition on, just put the key in and turn it to unlock the steering and then turn it back to where the ignition is off but the steering unlocked and yes the key must remain in the ignition to do this. Also, if it is the manual transmission, put it in 3rd gear and the transfer case in neutral. If it is the automatic, put it in park with the transfer case in neutral. I also ran a wire cable through my frame to the back of the Jeep and hook up magnetic lights for towing. They come off when I get to my destination. Much easier and cheaper than diodes, etc. as some do. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the auto trans. I will get an uncoded key made for the steering. I also ran wires from the front along the frame for magnetic lights. Put a plug on the lights for easy removal. I have a coil of trailer light wires under the hood that I pull out to connect to the RV to run the magnetic lights.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have the auto trans. I will get an uncoded key made for the steering. I also ran wires from the front along the frame for magnetic lights. Put a plug on the lights for easy removal. I have a coil of trailer light wires under the hood that I pull out to connect to the RV to run the magnetic lights.
I have the plug in the rear as well that hides up in the bumper for an easy hook up for the magnetic lights. I drilled a hole in the front bumper and installed a round plug so I have a pigtail so to say that I hook into the RV and then into the front bumper on the Jeep so no coil of wires is under the hood. Just a bit less stuff under the hood. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually have my front plug stashed between the bumper and the sway bar cover when not in use. I ran a wire loom behind the grill through the radiator support and out between the bumper and cover. The wires are in the loom so all I need to do is pull the coil out to the RV. Then pull them back into a coil and velcro them to the radiator support rod and it hangs right behind the drivers side head light in the engine compartment....I guess I could post a couple of pictures, that may be easier.......

·
Registered
36 Posts
What ever works sounds good in my opinion. Enjoy the trip.
I have the plug in the rear as well that hides up in the bumper for an easy hook up for the magnetic lights. I drilled a hole in the front bumper and installed a round plug so I have a pigtail so to say that I hook into the RV and then into the front bumper on the Jeep so no coil of wires is under the hood. Just a bit less stuff under the hood. :)

What kind of tow bar do you have and how do you like it ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually purchased my TJ with the tow kit already installed. The guy who owned it before me used to tow it behind his RV, but I dont. I am actually looking to take it off but it looks like one of the bolts holding it on is also used for the steering box?? Just saying ;D

·
Registered
61 Posts
A guy that is at our camp area tows a tj behind his giant motorhome. It actually caught on fire will going down the road, total loss of the jeep. They just got the thing unhooked before it started doing any damage to the motorhome. Still don't know what caused it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts