Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm looking for a last ditch solution to pulling a Jeep backwards instead of forward. The reverse pull rigging is one option, but it does require a lot of cable, three snatch blocks, at least two anchor points, etc.

So, if you realize you may have to 'winch' yourself out backwards if you get stuck, because winching forward is just going to make things worse, e.g. into deeper water, is the Hi-Lift a reasonable solution to a pull a Jeep rearward a short distance? Alternatives?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would consider pulling myself SIDEWAYS from the front. Two or three of these can put you out of trouble too and does not require complicated gear.

As for rear, I have used a Hi-Lift, but it is time consuming and arduous.

Better off not wheeling alone and letting a buddy PULL you from behind.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would consider pulling myself SIDEWAYS from the front. Two or three of these can put you out of trouble too and does not require complicated gear.

As for rear, I have used a Hi-Lift, but it is time consuming and arduous.

Better off not wheeling alone and letting a buddy PULL you from behind.
Understand, very sound advice.

Unfortunately sideways may not be an option and I'll be doing a lot of jeeping alone; there's just no way to have a buddy along. E.g. I'll be hunting on two different farms and there are places one can get stuck. There won't be a buddy with a 4WD available.

All I'm thinking is how I can get 'unstuck' if I needed to pull from the rear.

In my case time is really not an issue and getting out with arduous effort is better than remaining stuck.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
in order to winch with a hi lift you need chains as anything else stretches enough to make things tough winching. It can be done but slow going. My next investment for recovery gear is a set of Maxtrax not the cheesy smittybilt imitations but the real thing. hi lifts are handy for lifting your jeep to get something under the tires if stuck which can help. Hi lift makes an attachment that hooks into the slots on your rim making it possible to lift the wheel off the ground without having to strap the axle to the frame if you are using the bumper to lift.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
This is a lot of weight, but probably a better solution. And if you really wanted to use one of these, mounting a front hitch so you could carry one winch on a tray like this and use on either side would be the answer. Of course, you can get the trays separately and mount a good winch on them instead of this one.

Champion 10 000 Winch Kit w Hitch Mount Adapter 11006 | eBay

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much guys. I realize the Hi-Lift would be slow and maybe even cantankerous, but it does have multiple uses, i.e. winching, jacking, spreading, etc. and it works with a dead jeep - 'course the strenuous effort could lead to a dead operator too! :eek:

Kinda starting to look like that by the time you get all the accessories to do winching, it's a heavy, cumbersome package and more expensive than some small winches that could exert the same pull.

The problem I see with the re-locatable winches is the power connection. You would either need 'jumper cables' to clamp to the battery, or cables run to the rear of the jeep with a high amperage connector - which would be subjected to water, mud, sand etc.

So how does one deal with the rear electrical connection?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I asked my buddy who probably spends more time off road than on about using the Hi Lift as a pulley, he told me a decent come-along runs about $50 and is way, way better alternative.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked my buddy who probably spends more time off road than on about using the Hi Lift as a pulley, he told me a decent come-along runs about $50 and is way, way better alternative.
I was thinking about that - I guess I need to think about that some more.

I've used a come-along before (not in jeep applications), hmmm...I have a chain come-along, but wow that thing is heavy. I think the cable version might be a lot better!

Did he say what brand/type he likes?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was thinking about that - I guess I need to think about that some more.

I've used a come-along before (not in jeep applications), hmmm...I have a chain come-along, but wow that thing is heavy. I think the cable version might be a lot better!

Did he say what brand/type he likes?
No, he hasn't used one in years as he has gone the winch route and knows where he wheels very well. He is a fan of Tractor Supply and said they might have one. I looked around on Amazon, but haven't bought one yet, I'm just not ready to go wheeling alone yet as I still have the 29" street tires.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks much guys. I realize the Hi-Lift would be slow and maybe even cantankerous, but it does have multiple uses, i.e. winching, jacking, spreading, etc. and it works with a dead jeep - 'course the strenuous effort could lead to a dead operator too! :eek:

Kinda starting to look like that by the time you get all the accessories to do winching, it's a heavy, cumbersome package and more expensive than some small winches that could exert the same pull.

The problem I see with the re-locatable winches is the power connection. You would either need 'jumper cables' to clamp to the battery, or cables run to the rear of the jeep with a high amperage connector - which would be subjected to water, mud, sand etc.

So how does one deal with the rear electrical connection?
On my dads f150 he installed a 2" reciever on the front of the truck and the winch is mounted on a plate that goes into the reciever. He put a male quick connect fitting on the winch and ran welding cable from the battery to the front and back with female ends. He keeps the winch secure in the truck and if needed he can use the winch front or back.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm thinking a small ATV type winch, 3,500-4,500 lbs mounted on a plate that plugs into the hitch might be a good option. With a snatch block it should be able to pull you out of most situations. A simple portable hook-up and considerably more pull than you would get with a hi-lift. Since you would keep it inside until needed it wouldn't be exposed to the weather and a cheap no name brand would be cheap but effective insurance. When they go on sale the ATV winches can be had at a very low cost.

·
Registered
635 Posts
x2. I know a lot of Jeep guys carry Hi Lifts, but I consider them too dangerous. Was nearly killed by one many years ago and won't even carry one. A bottle jack, come-along and a winch should be able to get you out of most places.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
On my dads f150 he installed a 2" reciever on the front of the truck and the winch is mounted on a plate that goes into the reciever. He put a male quick connect fitting on the winch and ran welding cable from the battery to the front and back with female ends. He keeps the winch secure in the truck and if needed he can use the winch front or back.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking in my answer. But if you want to be more down and dirty, a literal set of jumper cables kept in the Jeep would do the trick, I think. You have them anyway, so just use them for a temp hook-up between the red and black winch leads and the battery terminals from either front or rear location. Since by definition you're by yourself in this scenario, a couple extra minutes taking out the cables and then storing them later isn't going to really matter to anyone. And in that scenario you can keep your stock bumpers (if the front will work with a front hitch beneath it), and just buy a front hitch and a winch carry plate to attach to. You could even rig the carry plate so that the winch leads are terminated in a couple of terminal posts, and the jumper cables would clamp around those.

If current transfer through the serrated jaws of jumper cables is insufficient (it's fine to start a car, but maybe not to run a winch?), you could terminate both ends of the jumper cables with ring terminals and spend a little longer screwing them onto their destinations. Again, you're presumably not in a great big hurry.

And of course, if you already have a front winch mounted, you could still just do all of the above for the rear and lug an additional winch of your choice around strapped down in back till you needed it. But weight (and cost) have to be considered there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've used a Hi lift for many things other than jacking things up, have one mounted to the Jeep. I agree with a come-along as a better option for pulling directions the front mount winch can't achieve.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, thanks to the many thoughts from you guys, which I deeply appreciate, I've come to a partial conclusion. After considering everything, I went to YouTube and
watched some come-along vids where they were actually rescuing a 4x4.

IT AIN'T EASY!!! IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK EASY!!!

Then, I imagined it being 90°-95° in high humidity and having to work that hard, especially for us guys that are physically older than our brain thinks we are, and that's just askin' for trouble.

I'm fond of saying, "Nothing is easy - even the easy stuff is hard!" And I think this applies to this. I got to thinking about a small winch as several had mentioned and thought this was it - really neat package and winch. I think you could basically jumper cable the winch to the jeep battery:

Superwinch, LLC - Winch-In-A-Bag Plus – 2,500 lbs/12V

And, it doesn't mount! It connects to the vehicle with a short tow line! Then the complicated part - the instruction manual says not to do double line with this winch. Well at only 2,500 lbs, doubling is likely gonna be needed. Doubling would get up to around 5000 lbs and if you could do a double, you could also do a triple and get 7500 lbs. Remember, this is a backup, especially for pulling from the rear. Doubling or tripling would be slow, but then so would a human powered come-along and it would be magnitudes harder and more dangerous.

After pondering over why you could not double the line, from the diagram that illustrated not to do that, I realized it was because if you connected back to the winch, it could put too much stress on the winch. If it was pulling with 2500 lbs (pull rating) the winch body would be experiencing double that somewhere, and it just isn't designed for that.

But, if you tied back to the Jeep instead of the winch, that problem goes away, and I think, as in I THINK, as in can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure that would be a safe configuration.

The winch only weighs 18 lbs. It only has 40' of line but that's workable, I doubt a cable come-along would have that much.

Gonna give this some serious thought!

Oh, the entire kit goes for $204. Not necessarily cheap, but you do get a bag, gloves, two tree savers, jumper cable set with quick disconnect, short winch strap, and a bow shackle that I'm not sure of the rating on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, well, well, have I mentioned, "NOTHIN'S EASY!!!"

I noticed in the spec's that the brake is listed as N/A. I pretty much knew what that meant, but I called SuperWinch to be sure. Sure enough, it means it has no brake - meaning no auto break and no manual brake. So if you're pulling uphill and you release the pull in button, the load will begin to 'back drive' the motor. I.e. it will start to release the load. It may not be fast since it's going through the gear train, but it won't hold like a brake would. Hmmmmm....

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think that kit is a little light at 2,500lbs but it's better than a come-along. I'd get a piece of 2x2 thick walled square tubing drill a couple of holes in it so you could mount the winch in the trailer hitch. A floating winch seems a little scary to me.

Harbor Freight has a 3,500lb winch for $139 and a hitch mount kit for $48. Don't forget that the stated pull for winches is for when they are on the first layer on the drum. The pull drops off significantly with each layer added.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that kit is a little light at 2,500lbs but it's better than a come-along. I'd get a piece of 2x2 thick walled square tubing drill a couple of holes in it so you could mount the winch in the trailer hitch. A floating winch seems a little scary to me.

Harbor Freight has a 3,500lb winch for $139 and a hitch mount kit for $48. Don't forget that the stated pull for winches is for when they are on the first layer on the drum. The pull drops off significantly with each layer added.
Yeah, but it's light and probably as good as a typical cable come along and it can be double and tripled to get up more pull.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Our Yamaha big bear 400 came with a 2500# warn when we bought it new in 2000. That little winch did 12 years of hard service winching logs, tractors, and our f150 (before we got a winch for it) before it finally burned up. The cable was kinked and rusted and even had a couple broken strands. The point of all this is to say that most things are rated way below what they can do to keep the lawyers happy. I absolutely think a 3000# tractor supply winch mounted on a plate in the 2" reciever would be enough to get you out of a bad situation.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
...so then.....speaking of 'alternatives'......maybe you could just turn around and back in to those sticky places where you might need a winch to get out....that way you'd be ready to "winch forward" with the front bumper mount....

...no need to thank me now, you can do it later....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts