Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a good camera for muddin videos and pics. I'm leaning towards a go pro hero4. Anyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance jeepers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the hero 3. But thought the 4 might be better, cuz it has a higher MP camera, and more fps slomo. The 3 is good enough?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Funny thing about when I got my gopro I got it 5 weeks be for the hero 4 came out got kinda pissed but I don't care I love it and don't see much difference in the hero 3 to the 4 but have you seen the new gopro called the hero ( yes it's just called the hero ) it's $129.99 it's the cheapest fully water proof but it stays in the case. Just go check it out I would have buy one but I also use my gopro for airsoft

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The GoPro line has more mounts and design purposed camera cases that anybody else that I'm aware of. I've got a whole box of GoPro mounts but I really only use 3. I use the quick disconnect mounts all over the Jeep, the suction cup mount occasionally, and the tripod mount on a monopod or tripod. I use a frame camera mount for my windshield as I run it on inside of the windshield, manually operate it, and it allows plugging in the camera for constant charge. The weatherproof case is great on the outside with batteries and WiFi control through my cell phone.

One shortcoming of the GoPro cameras to me is no image stabilization. Hand held shots are very difficult to get smooth video. There are "steadycam" devices to try and help but I got mixed results at best with the inexpensive hand held type. Even with a monopod, camera shake is noticeable to me. Another shortcoming is no zoom other than a perspective change with the Hero series.

If I were to only get one camera, I'd look into one with image stabilization and zoom for the better multiple use aspects available for considerably less money. Personally, I like the Sony DSC HX 50. Though it can't begin to compete with GoPro for toughness, it doesn't seem to eat battery charge like GoPro cameras do, and the optical and digital zooms along with available dual rate image stabilization makes it worth a look.

My experience with video...

Watchable video is way more than just raw video.

I started with a single GoPro Hero 3, a camera I like so much I bought another just like it. Problem is you don't ever seem to be able to get enough camera angles. Going through a mud hole will likely look better if you can cut from one video shot angle to another. For example a shot from the windshield, one on the bumper, and perhaps someone holding a video camera of the whole affair.

The problem becomes editing that video. It only took me a couple hours editing to discover I needed serious computing power if I wanted to be a somewhat serious amateur videographer/editor. I've ended up with a dual core, purpose built desk top with more RAM and hard storage than I hope I'll ever need, and at times I wish I had more power. Fancy graphics take significant rendering time.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I too have the Hero 3. I couldn't justify the 4 for my purposes and now I am glad I stuck with the 3. I have used it a bit on my RC cars and have edited with slow motion and really think the 30fps is just fine.

Here is some RC video shot with my Hero 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2YYw1sp2Os

·
Registered
958 Posts
The hero 3 works great. The battery life sucks though. If you're going to be mudding, it doesn't take much to dirty up the lens.

You can pick the hero 3 up for cheap now. I got my silver open box at target for $200.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a go pro hero3. The thing I like is using my smartphone to control it, and the camera sends a live image to the phone. I believe the difference with 4 is that it has a screen built in, and more resolution variety (4k max vs 1080p max on hero3).

Other than GoPro there isn't really anything else that can compete as far as versatility and function. You can always mount your smartphone or a regular digital camera, but you don't typically get the weather proofing for the cool exterior mounting options.

My only complaint so far with GoPro is some, no all, of the accessories are priced ridiculously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts