Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
That outlet is one of the BIG reasons why I coughed up a bunch of extra duckets to go from a Sport S to a Sahara. I plan on using it to charge my laptop. I want to avoid keeping things plugged into the 12v outlet for too long.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
i use mine all the time for camping stuff. i inflate my air matress with it. charge a bunch of things while in route. it wont run an air compressor tho. i have a DC one anyway.

i need to see if it will run a little george forman or not

·
Registered
583 Posts
Use it for everything. I wish there were a few more of them. One for rear passengers and one in the cargo area.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I didn't get that outlet with mine. :( So I bought my own to add. I use it to inflate air matresses, run box fans, lights, charge the kids' video games, etc

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I was so excited to have one - but I haven't used it yet. I've had no need. I'm sure the day I do have a need I'll forget it's there...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I plan on using it to charge my laptop. I want to avoid keeping things plugged into the 12v outlet for too long.
You DO realize that the 120v inverter is consuming battery power to generate a 120v sine wave out of 12v DC, then your laptop charger is taking that freshly generated 120v sine wave and rectifying it back to ~16v DC to feed the laptop.

The extra step is wasted energy to transformer loss and heat loss, and drains more battery than using a 12v DC-DC stepper to charge the laptop.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
You DO realize that the 120v inverter is consuming battery power to generate a 120v sine wave out of 12v DC, then your laptop charger is taking that freshly generated 120v sine wave and rectifying it back to ~16v DC to feed the laptop.

The extra step is wasted energy to transformer loss and heat loss, and drains more battery than using a 12v DC-DC stepper to charge the laptop.
I don't mean charging while parked. I'll unplug it at that point.

I'm talking while in motion.....where I'm not too worried about the draw on the Jeep battery for the laptop.

I'm glad Jeep bumped up the alternator to 160 amps (from 140) on the 3.6's. Hopefully it will help.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Is there such a device around that will go right from the battery into the laptop? Is the power clean enough?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ok, at the risk of showing my stupidity when it comes to electricity...what can you safely run off this outlet? So I can plug in my crock pot, but will I kill my battery? Any chance it shuts off before it kills the battery or something? Should I start the Jeep up once in a while? Maybe I should read the manual.

:hide:

·
Registered
343 Posts
You can safely run anything under 150 watts. Most items will have a tag or other indicator showing the wattage draw.

The inverter in the Jeep has a overload protection and shuts itself off if the item plugged in is drawing too much power...but there is nothing I'm aware of to prevent you from draining your battery if you leave something plugged in too long without the engine running.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
The inverter is also switched so when you shut off the ignition, the inverter turns off.
I used the one on my 2011 for phone charging.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts