Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How uses the jeep as a daily driver and what do you have done to it? New here and trading out of a 2000 f250 powerstroke to a 1998 tj? Thoughts oh i live in wisconsin were it is less then warm.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thats brutal, i'm in MA and its pretty cold here too. I just bought a 98 TJ sport in december with 35k miles on it. so far i have only updated the stereo/speakers. my next project is to upgrade the wheels. i am thinking 31" so i dont have to mess with a lift kit. welcome to the forum, there is a wealth of information available here.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm in north-east Ohio, which can get some good snow storms. To prep for winter I cleaned my heater core so I had good heat, made sure I had good tires, checked 4wd function, made a winter safety kit, and like Pmedg upgraded the sound system so I can listen to some tunes while stuck in traffic. Since your trading out of a good sized truck make sure you practice a little with your Jeep. It has a much shorter wheel base, and the rear end will want to slide in turns if you don't control it. Other than that enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
My best mod for this winter were carbon fiber heated seat covers. My butt get hot when it's on high in 5-6 milutes and it's been under 20 most mornings at 6:30 when I leave for work. And it's parked outside all night.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great i am tired of the diesel and i am done pulling big trailers. Do the auto trans hold up?

·
Registered
868 Posts
i havent had a problem with the auto trans since ive owned the car in december. My grandparents were the previous owners and i drove it during the summers without issues. it only has 35k miles on it so it hasnt been used a whole lot. the one thing ive noticed driving it since i bought it is that while i love the jeep, it was a lot more fun to drive in the summer on MV than in Quincy MA in the winter...but i suppose that is to be expected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this one has 120k second owner and i just am new to the jeep world. Always had f250f350 diesels. I sold the racecar and want to take my 6 yearold son out on the trails and have fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought my 2000 Sport in November with 30k miles on it. I use it as my daily driver. Never in a rush to get to work, and never in a rush to get home!

·
Registered
34 Posts
i havent had a problem with the auto trans since ive owned the car in december. My grandparents were the previous owners and i drove it during the summers without issues. it only has 35k miles on it so it hasnt been used a whole lot. the one thing ive noticed driving it since i bought it is that while i love the jeep, it was a lot more fun to drive in the summer on MV than in Quincy MA in the winter...but i suppose that is to be expected.
Summer down the Cape, can't wait!

·
Registered
772 Posts
How uses the jeep as a daily driver and what do you have done to it? New here and trading out of a 2000 f250 powerstroke to a 1998 tj? Thoughts oh i live in wisconsin were it is less then warm.
how far up-il/wi border here. live in il, work in wi(kenosha)
also my DD but i kept my 2500hd-still have the 32' trailer, just couldn't feed the truck on a daily basis
good advice about checking/flushing heater-i also got a windjamer to cut the cab in 1/2-helps with the heat somewhat-didn't get the good one(wrap around) though. i just put on stock tires to help in the snow and so far so good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So with the hard top and all you still dont get it that warm? I need the rear seat for my son. In the winter then they are cold inside unless i divided the front and back?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a soft top in MA and its cold when you get in but the wrangler heat cranks so it gets warm after a few min of driving. And in the summer the heat feels like it is going to melt my feet if I turn it on high at night

·
Registered
615 Posts
My 05 TJ gets VERY warm inside within 2-3 miles and I have a soft top. I dunno how it is in the back seat but I'd imagine it's not too bad back there either.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Due to the economy tanking and my wife's ongoing health issues, I've downsized from a Dodge Ram to a stock '02 TJ. It's got a soft-top and is my DD. Do I miss my big ol' Ram? Yep but I've always wanted a Jeep.

Having put that out there, it makes a fine DD for me. It starts, runs and handles fine (short wheel-base notwithstanding) in sloppy weather. We just got hit with about 18"+ inches of snow and I had to go to work, it got me there with little trouble. The gas mileage on 29's is tolerable (16-18 mpg). I don't mind the cold, and the Jeep seems to heat up just fine in the single digits and teens we've had here lately. OTOH, my kid is 17 and I need a shoe-horn to get him or his friends in the back, LOL. YMMV

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
so you guys use it as a daily driver.
I have been driving wranglers as a DD for over 10 years and my drive is 100 miles RT. Not sure what else I would want to drive.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Daily driver here. Mine doesn't get that hot, but I need to flush the heater core like we heard about for winter prep. It still gets warm, nothing a sweater while driving doesn't fix.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts