Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coolant bottle is almost dry. There's barely some visible at the bottom. Isn't it supposed to last 150K miles??

I'm off to Autozone to buy some more for now, and then taking to the dealer before my warranty is out.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't thing that's unusual, it evaporates from over flow tank. If the over flow still has coolant the motor is full.

You do know not to mix coolants. I didn't Auto zone sold mo-par coolant?, that's good to know.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My coolant bottle is almost dry. There's barely some visible at the bottom. Isn't it supposed to last 150K miles??

I'm off to Autozone to buy some more for now, and then taking to the dealer before my warranty is out.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
There is a problem with the coolant I have a 14 and it's already getting low I get this dripping noise when the car is running it seems like when they fill it from the factory they don't put enough in and air gets into the system I here if you add more and bleed some line it fixes it

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The coolant level from the factory is approx. 2-3" above the "Min" line cold. Make sure the coolant meets this spec. Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part
Engine Coolant MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic
Additive Technology) or equivalent meeting the requirements of Chrysler
Material Standard MS-12106.

It has to say on the bottle that it meets MS-12106 for a 2013 JK.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There is a problem with the coolant I have a 14 and it's already getting low I get this dripping noise when the car is running it seems like when they fill it from the factory they don't put enough in and air gets into the system I here if you add more and bleed some line it fixes it
Take it to the dealer and they'll pressure test it to see if there's a leak.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The coolant level from the factory is approx. 2-3" above the "Min" line cold. Make sure the coolant meets this spec. Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part Engine Coolant MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106. It has to say on the bottle that it meets MS-12106 for a 2013 JK.
I can't find one that says that and the parts dept of the dealer is closed until Tuesday!

Anyone know where else I can try. I tried Autozone and they were clueless about these standards.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If there is coolant in the over flow when it's cool and it's not running hot I would wait till Tues. and get the coolant you know for sure is to spec.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there is coolant in the over flow when it's cool and it's not running hot I would wait till Tues. and get the coolant you know for sure is to spec.
There is but I can't see it unless I crawl under to see the bottom of the bottle. It's hot outside. Makes me nervous.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Wait until the engine is cool and pop the radiator cap. As stated the over flow can be near empty and the engine has plenty.

You are probably SOL until Tuesday for the coolant. If the parts places do not understand the OAT thing. Leave them out of the equation.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If your really worried just add a bit of distilled water and then goto dealer on Tuesday. Coolant requires a 50/50 mi of water so add a litre of water then add a litre of coolant.(obviously the amount is going to vary.)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If you open the radiator cap "cold" and it has coolant to the top of the radiator, which it should, you're fine. As DWDK said, you can add some distilled water until tues. if you're concerned. The coolant will last but there is some evaporation over a period of years/miles because the OAT is mixed with distilled water. You have to check the coolant level like any other fluid under the hood.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
That doesn't mean you're not supposed to check the level and top off as necessary. There can be air pockets left from the factory and it takes a bit before they work their way out. I know 31,000 miles is a long way from just leaving the factory but when was the last time you checked the level or added any coolant?

Our 2013 was a bit low on fluid after a few thousand miles. When I took it back to have them check on a bit of sludge at the bottom of the reservoir they cleaned everything out and topped it off. It has been fine ever since.

Anyhow, the correct coolant part # for your 2013 OAT is 68163848AA. If you use something else it can lead to a blocked heater core.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That doesn't mean you're not supposed to check the level and top off as necessary. There can be air pockets left from the factory and it takes a bit before they work their way out. I know 31,000 miles is a long way from just leaving the factory but when was the last time you checked the level or added any coolant?

Our 2013 was a bit low on fluid after a few thousand miles. When I took it back to have them check on a bit of sludge at the bottom of the reservoir they cleaned everything out and topped it off. It has been fine ever since.

Anyhow, the correct coolant part # for your 2013 OAT is 68163848AA. If you use something else it can lead to a blocked heater core.
Last time I remember looking was at 15K miles.
I am just spoiled. My previous vehicle had a 'closed' system to where no coolant loss was experienced after 100K miles, then I did a flush.

I'm waiting until Tuesday and getting it from the dealer. I'm ok until then I think.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

I'm waiting until Tuesday and getting it from the dealer. I'm ok until then I think.

Thanks again.
That's a very good idea.
If you need fluids in the system go to the store an buy a gallon of distilled water, then drain that out on Tuesday when you get the correct anti-freeze.
Needless to say don't push it hard when running diluted like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't add anything if it's not running hot! If you put water in your overflow tank it will get sucked back into the system after your motor cools down. It's going to get mixed if you drive jeep.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I wouldn't add anything if it's not running hot! If you put water in your overflow tank it will get sucked back into the system after your motor cools down. It's going to get mixed if you drive jeep.
That's the point, distilled water is actually better for your internals then "most" coolants are. Besides it will just evaporate over time and so this no harm or foul by putting distilled water in your system. As I started before coolant is supposed to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water unless it's pre mixed(which is still mixed with distilled water lol).

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,922 Posts
View attachment 1140049

The one to the right is OAT, which is the correct antifreeze for the 2013, and 2014.

Do not mix HOAT and OAT........:nonono:

Distilled water can be used, if a small amount is needed for make up, but it has no freeze, or boiling protection, therefore not a good idea in any large quantity....:thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts